Wrist watches thread

Wutang

Protestant
Heirloom
Since we have a car thread, figured we should have a watches thread as well.

Just started getting into them last year. I see them as a mix between a piece of art that exists for aesthetic/decorative reasons like a painting but unlike paintings, there's also an engineering and tech element to admire.

A piece of watch tech I find to be pretty cool:

Very cool I had no idea about the spring drive. I broke my quartz watch and it had about 20 years of hard use already, so the cost to repair a bit much considering what it was.

Ended up buying an automatic and though it is less accurate and more expensive, it had the features that I wanted that I couldn’t find in a quartz. Definitely not a GS, but so far so good, and they include the first 5 year service. It’s a tool watch, nothing I would wear to a function, but it does exactly what I need. Countdown bezel, GMT, large markings, superb lume, crown(s) on left side of dial (more comfort when doing stuff). Came very close to getting a Sinn or a Laco. Ended up with the Ares which was a dice roll compared to an established brand, but the quality has held up so far. First responder/Mil discount.

Last edited:
The cheapest quartz watches will outperform the vast majority mechanical watches. The appeal of mechanical watches is rather their craftmanship. There's something appealing about watching the gears and balance wheel turn. The smooth sweep of the dial in mechanical watches is also pretty appealing to me - that's one area where that Grand Seiko Snowflake I posted shines.

I'm a fan of Casio G-shock. Reliable, sturdy, reasonably priced, legible and the timer/stopwatch/alarm are the perfect amount of extra functionality without becoming unwieldy. Plus with the radio sync and solar you will always be accurate without maintenance or winding.

Mech watches are very cool though and I would like to have one someday for dressy occasions.

Watches are one of my passions. I have a couple dozen, ranging from about $10 to $800 ( I once ordered a $12 Chinese mechanical watch mostly out of fascination that such a product could even be *shipped* from China for that amount, much less produced).
The old forum used to talk about things like pocket squares. I rarely find occasion to wear those, but a wristwatch is a great way for a man to show off his style. In fact, they are probably the closest thing men have to jewelry.

No slight against Rolex, but you can have one nice Rolex, or you can have tons of different watches for different moods and occasions.
The cool thing is, whatever you are interested in, you can buy a watch with that theme. I have: a Polish watch, Russian watches, Chinese watches, Japanese watches, American watches (Timex Indiglo is actually pretty awesome for the price), Swiss watches, dive watches, a chronograph watch, a moonphase watch, dual time zones, a GMT, rotating bezel watches, an incredible Huawei smartwatch that blows Apple and Android away, and a tachymeter.

My advice to newbies is to start with the main brands. There are some no name or "micro-brand" watches that are a cool niche, but there are also a lot that are junk. A low end Seiko is better than a lot of no name watches costing twice as much. And while Fossil is ok, stay away from most "fashion" watch brands. They just slap a "Calvin Klein" logo on a generic watch pumped out by some unrelated factory.

Some of my favorite brands:
Orient - Japanese brand, and by far the most affordable brand that makes the entire watch in house (the majority of mechanical watches use Swiss (Swatch) or Japanese (Seiko) movements).
I like how they don't just sell watches, but also educate the buyer. I got a lot of info out of their blog when I first got in to watches:

Seiko - one of the most well known watch firms, highly innovative, has a huge range of styles and great bang for buck

While their English brand names are kinda dumb, there are some beautiful watches from Hong Kong's Sugess/Seagull, like this 1963 series which I own:
DSC_0018_1680x.jpg

I highly recommend the Heads Up thread here that discusses sales and discounts:

The owner of Long Island Watch really loves watches, and his youtube videos are fun (they are a good shop too)

While I love mechanical watches, what watch am I wearing most of the time?
The Casio W-S210-H. I got it for <$30 and it is solar powered, dual time zone, waterproof, with light, calendar, stopwatch, timer, multiple alarms, tides, moonphase, and waterproof! Never have to set it, just grab and go, plus it's so cheap I don't worry about damaging or losing it.

Finally, this was the video that started my fascination with mechanical watches. Produced by the American Hamilton Watch company of Pennsylvania (later sold to the Swiss--I don't think there are any true American mechanical watches anymore):

This was from a time when marketing meant a lot more than paying some instagram thot to pretend to use your product.

Last edited:
No slight against Rolex, but you can have one nice Rolex, or you can have tons of different watches for different moods and occasions.

From what I've been hearing, Rolex has taken a hit among the watch enthusiasts community in recent years it that they seem to be concentrating more on promoting the idea that wearing a Rolex gives you a social status boost and less on the craftmanship side of watchmaking. I been hearing stories about how it's difficult to get a Rolex and the snobbery some customers have gotten when they go into a Rolex store and try to get something that isn't one of their lower end models. I'm guessing these stories if true must be part of the campaign to make Rolex seem something exclusive for social status conscious people.

Last edited:
I have a Rolex watch face I downloaded for free on my Huawei GT 3 Pro :sneaky:
For mid level watches I like Hamilton a lot. Above that Breitling and Longines, but those are out of my budget for now.
German Damasko tool watches are pretty cool.

There are some really creative watchmakers out there. This one is made with high voltage Soviet era Nixie tubes (think: the clock used for the space shuttle countdown).

I have a Baume and Mercier Capeland which is about 25 years old. I bought it for myself after a decent year way back then and it's been going strong ever since. Beautifully made, simple and not too flashy. It's a bit like this but without the chrono dials

1000049494.jpg

It's currently in for a service so I've been wearing a Slow watch which is a 24 watch with just one hand that really only tells the time approximately. It's only a cheap watch ~300frs or so but I really like the aesthetic.

1000049496.jpg

The one I really want is the Audemars Piaget Royal Oak but they start at around 20k so when I have that much spare to drop on a watch I know I will have arrived.

A decent watch makes you feel good. It's also a sign that you have your life together. Nothing makes me sadder than men playing star trek with an apple watch.

I have gotten more compliments on my Casio than any other watch I own. It also happens to be the cheapest watch I own.
I was going to buy this watch a few months ago but I hesitated because I have been told digital watches comes across as childish.

But perhaps all the compliments you have received will now give me the confidence to buy and wear it.

Thank you good sir!

I was going to buy this watch a few months ago but I hesitated because I have been told digital watches comes across as childish.

But perhaps all the compliments you have received will now give me the confidence to buy and wear it.

Thank you good sir!
Watch enthusiasts respect the brand. People on the street like how blingy it looks. I prefer mech watches myself but I got this one out of utility. So far, it's win-win!

Watch enthusiasts respect the brand. People on the street like how blingy it looks. I prefer mech watches myself but I got this one out of utility. So far, it's win-win!
I have never been a person interested in watches so do you think there is much risk in buying online, or should I go in to a store to make sure it fits?

I have never been a person interested in watches so do you think there is much risk in buying online, or should I go in to a store to make sure it fits?
You can adjust it, but you'll have to look up a video on how to do it if you've never done it. I ordered this one off Amazon. Watches with leather bands are no problem size wise. You should be fine ordering it online.

Damn this thread. It's going to end with me spending lots of money on something I didn't even know I wanted.

I haven't worn a watch for about 5 years. Before that I always had mid-priced half decent watches, but I disliked most modern watches and struggled to find anything that wasn't too bulky because I have skinny wrists and a big watch with a rotating bezel and 3 dials just accentuates that, plus I always end up breaking them working.
I've seen watch threads on RVF, STW, and watch columns and features in car magazines, and while I find them interesting, it's just never been for me.

Today I happened to google one of the vintage watches I have in a box somewhere, to see if it is worth sending to get fixed. I got a bunch of suggested ads from ebay.
I never thought about the fact that I can buy a really nice basic and stylish 1960s mechanical Seiko or Swiss watch for a few hundred dollars, and just not wear it to work where it will get broken. Probably only my one gay friend will notice and comment on it, but I really want one now.

Damn this thread. It's going to end with me spending lots of money on something I didn't even know I wanted.

I haven't worn a watch for about 5 years. Before that I always had mid-priced half decent watches, but I disliked most modern watches and struggled to find anything that wasn't too bulky because I have skinny wrists and a big watch with a rotating bezel and 3 dials just accentuates that, plus I always end up breaking them working.
I've seen watch threads on RVF, STW, and watch columns and features in car magazines, and while I find them interesting, it's just never been for me.

Today I happened to google one of the vintage watches I have in a box somewhere, to see if it is worth sending to get fixed. I got a bunch of suggested ads from ebay.
I never thought about the fact that I can buy a really nice basic and stylish 1960s mechanical Seiko or Swiss watch for a few hundred dollars, and just not wear it to work where it will get broken. Probably only my one gay friend will notice and comment on it, but I really want one now.
It's true your boomer mates won't get it, so get yourself a generic Casio and you'll the be nr1 to be talked about if that's what you're looking for.

At one time I thought I would like a vintage watch. However, unlike some things that were previously mass produced at a higher quality than now (firearms, clothing), watches today appear to be as well or better made now, than in the past. The same money can buy a much better watch now than buying a vintage time piece.

I wouldn’t mind owning one, but the collector premium they fetch now isnt worth it to me.

I‘m not an expert on watches, that’s just my layman’s observation.

Back