• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

What is your Diet?

Douglas Quaid

Orthodox Inquirer
Heritage
I'm curious to see what other people are eating, and any recommendations. Lately I've been doing the carnivore diet (including dairy) + fruit and organic honey/maple syrup. The fruit and honey are great for some variety and when you need carbs. Pure maple syrup is amazing, but expensive.

I don't miss other foods like vegetables, rice, potatoes, pasta. Part of it is being too lazy to make them, but I love making things like steak, burgers, eggs, bacon, sausage and focusing on them while cooking. I also don't like making chicken anymore, which was somewhat surprising.

Things could always change, but I feel great and really enjoy the simplicity of cooking, grocery shopping amd budgeting now. Eating out isn't even enjoyable anymore.

What I normally eat (outside of fasting seasons) looks something like this (although my "cheat days" are great Orthodox feasts, birthdays, weddings, etc, not regular Saturdays):

I try to limit sugary foods (including fruits, honey, maple syrup, etc), not only for dietary concerns but also for dental health. It seems that monkeys in the wild who have a high fruit diet, for example, develop cavities (whereas animals that don't eat fruits generally don't). I think fruit is great, but it's good to be in a limited amount. Lactose, the type of sugar naturally found in milk, is apparently not very cariogenic, and so I incorporate a decent amount of dairy. Also, if eating sugary food (like a mango or banana), I think a lot of the bad effects could be mitigated by rinsing your mouth with water, brushing, or eating something else after (instead of letting the sugar sit on your teeth for an extended period of time).

I believe avoiding added sugars should be one of the major focuses for a modern man. Added sugar, from my research, seems way worse than seed oils (and I'm no fan of seed oils). A lot of Orthodox monasteries have a mentality where they also avoid sugary foods except on major feast days. It's a type of ascetism that helps people build spiritually (avoiding dopamine slavery).

I've also noticed that I'm not really a fan of chicken for some reason, whereas I used to be in the past when I had a worse diet. Love eggs though. Red meat and fish are my favorite go-to foods, along with cooked veggies and rice.

When I'm not traveling for work or at a work event (excluding college football season where I'm usually bbq and drinking on Saturdays) I eat pretty clean. Assuming I'm still lifting like regularly I usually get 4 or 5 meals a day and eat some combination of:

5 oz Chicken/ground beef/lamb/steak/4 eggs.

Cup of rice/diced potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Cup of bell peppers onions/ sauteed spinach/ broccoli and carrots.

1 meal is just meat or just meat and 1x orange/apple.

Right now I'm a little fluffy, so I've cut the alcohol to 1 day a week and added an accessory day in the gym and pulled carbs from 1 meal.

For diet reccomendations, check out Stan Efferding's The Vertical Diet

I made pork tenderloin tonight. Used to love it, but now pork is becoming disappointing like with chicken, and I end up wishing I made steak or burgers. At least bacon and sausage are still amazing. I also found a place with NY Strips in bulk for $6/pound, and burgers for $3.50/pound. Dinners will be good! If I had more money bison, lamb and elk would be great too. I also buy a ton of eggs and canned sardines for basically nothing and love eating those too.

That's good to know about fruit and I'll try not to eat too much, but damn I love it. I've been making a lot of smoothies too. The fruit section while grocery shopping is becoming like a candy store.

For dairy I'm doing whole milk, greek yogurt and cheese. A glass of whole milk is so satisfying. I've also been hearing great things about raw dairy.

Starting to really enjoy this carnivore + fruit diet.

100% agree about pork. I don't know what it is, but I ridiculously prefer lamb or beef (and deer, elk, bison, etc) to pork or chicken.

My wife's family has a pig on their farm, and it always stinks. Every time I go to grab firewood (which is next to the pig pen) I always smell it. I asked if the pig sometimes eats his own poop, and the response was "pigs eat anything and everything". By contrast, on the farm there is also sheep, and I genuinely like going close to them (they don't stink haha).

This past December I was looking like a fatty and decided no thank you. I tightened up my eating to the point I had my first beer this year with my dad Saturday at our Thanksgiving fest. I have also developed a workout routine that is so simple I can do it while my 2 year old holds onto my neck like a weight. A basic pyramid exercise routine that the most I need are 10lb dumbbells.
I use a book called "The Complete Guide To Navy Seal Fitness." By Stewart Smith.
It's a great but oldie but he put basically all you need to get physically fit without the gym. (Gyms are scams and harlots dens in my opinion.)
I went from 275 in Janurary to 220 Today.
I do not recall the last fast food I have eaten. My wife and I are all about maintaining by low calorie intake and proper meal planning that covers the big nutrients we need daily.

I am a huge believer that it does not take hours to make quality food every day. There are alot of tools that can be used to really assist you like a pressure cooker for example.

For quick snacks my go to is fruit or a Lara Bar. I thought they were goyslop for a long time however they're is no soy in them and they usually have 3-5 ingredients depending on the bar.

I'm curious to see what other people are eating, and any recommendations. Lately I've been doing the carnivore diet (including dairy) + fruit and organic honey/maple syrup. The fruit and honey are great for some variety and when you need carbs. Pure maple syrup is amazing, but expensive.

I don't miss other foods like vegetables, rice, potatoes, pasta. Part of it is being too lazy to make them, but I love making things like steak, burgers, eggs, bacon, sausage and focusing on them while cooking. I also don't like making chicken anymore, which was somewhat surprising.

Things could always change, but I feel great and really enjoy the simplicity of cooking, grocery shopping amd budgeting now. Eating out isn't even enjoyable anymore.
Not to be grotesque but how is your bathroom going with that diet? My chiro and two dudes at work did your diet basically and they had very bad diarrhea practically everyday. I'm curious how your offsetting the lack of fiber intake.

I would also like to ask you what benefits you have found from this diet. It sounds like you are missing key vitamins daily. Are you using vitamins pills to offset the diet. Thanks for your information.

Fruit and honey where both extremely seasonal/local in our past. And of of course fruits where generally smaller, less sugary, more fiber etc. I think that eating fruits and honey all the time will increase your risk of pancreatic cancer with age. That doesn't mean never to eat those things, but only once in a while, and try to stay clear of tropical fruits like bananas, papaya, pineapple etc. Better with plums, figs, garden variety apples, berries and so on. (in season if possible) Modern vs ancestral plants;

What fruit and vegetables SHOULD look like from the banana to the  watermelon | Daily Mail Online

Steve jobs was a vegetarian and fruitarian for most of his adult life and died relatively young of pancreatic cancer. So did the swedish "paleo" doctor Staffan Lindeberg. (Kitavan-high in fruit and tubers diet promotor) I just don't think our pancreas is suited to deal with so much fructose. When I see Saladino recommend tropical fruits, honey, maple syrup and even fruit juice I think he's lost it a little bit. Carnivore is the other extreme end. Maybe keep fruit and honey to >10 percent of total calories?

Not to be grotesque but how is your bathroom going with that diet? My chiro and two dudes at work did your diet basically and they had very bad diarrhea practically everyday. I'm curious how your offsetting the lack of fiber intake.

I would also like to ask you what benefits you have found from this diet. It sounds like you are missing key vitamins daily. Are you using vitamins pills to offset the diet. Thanks for your information.
I had diarrhea at first, but now everything is normal. Probably the best it's been in a long time.

I like the diet because it's simple and I don't get tired of the main things I eat. Originally I was going for mostly carnivore to see if I'd like it (I did), but wanted a little more variety. I have a bad sweet tooth, and things like fruit and honey work for that. Plus they're great if you're an active person. For some reason meat and fruit is a sweet spot (at least for now).

Carnivore is especially great. Always feel good after I eat, and mentally very good. Through trial and error the past couple of months I'm learning I like to eat two big meals a day. So something like 6 slices of bacon/sausage and 6 eggs for lunch/breakfast, and a pound of beef for dinner. Add some fruit, sardines, dairy and I'm becoming pretty content with it.

I tried having some vegetables, rice and nuts too, but don't really want them anymore. Similar to the issue with chicken and pork. I'll still eat these things if someone else makes them, however.

Last edited:
Lately it has been

Coffee for breakfast

Protein shake for lunch

Whatever I've got going on for dinner. Tonight it was tater tot hotdish. Hamburger steak is also very nice, cheap too. Pulled pork, jaegerschnitzel, shepherds pie, chicken parmesan, simpler stuff like beef roast and hamburgers are all usual rotations in my kitchen.

General rule, I try to avoid seed oils as much as possible. Whatever the recipe says for meat, I double it. Eating a pound of beef or more in a sitting is perfectly normal.

I don't make any special effort to eat fruits or vegetables. For the most part I think fruits are generally ok but not special.

Some vegetables are good for flavor or texture, but fiber in my opinion is the devil and should be avoided in general. I make no plans to ever sit down and eat a salad. If I eat a vegetable, 9 times out of 10, it is cooked and peeled.

I do some baking here and there so buttered bread is a staple. Generally it is the simple yeast-salt-water-flour variety, but I have grown fond of irish sodabread in recent years.

If I had to break down my diet by calorie it would probably be like 50% meat and dairy products, 40% grains or starches, 10% sugar from sweets or alcohol. On days when I hit Sams Club that ratio tends to shift towards whatever bag of fruit I purchase. Sometimes I'll go without meat for a few days and just stick with cheeses and eggs.

Lately for dinner I've been eating either a NY strip steak, or cheeseburgers (no bun) with mustard. It's hard to get tired of red meat, and the nutrition from it is great. I look forward to making dinner every night.

I've been eating a ton of sardines too. Damn I love them. A glass of bone broth has been really satisfying too, especially since it's getting cold out.

Last edited:
I had diarrhea at first, but now everything is normal. Probably the best it's been in a long time.

I like the diet because it's simple and I don't get tired of the main things I eat. Originally I was going for mostly carnivore to see if I'd like it (I did), but wanted a little more variety. I have a bad sweet tooth, and things like fruit and honey work for that. Plus they're great if you're an active person. For some reason meat and fruit is a sweet spot (at least for now).

Carnivore is especially great. Always feel good after I eat, and mentally very good. Through trial and error the past couple of months I'm learning I like to eat two big meals a day. So something like 6 slices of bacon/sausage and 6 eggs for lunch/breakfast, and a pound of beef for dinner. Add some fruit, sardines, dairy and I'm becoming pretty content with it.

I tried having some vegetables, rice and nuts too, but don't really want them anymore. Similar to the issue with chicken and pork. I'll still eat these things if someone else makes them, however.

Kind of a ramble.

I did carnivore for 5 months pre covid. During covid I stopped because ground beef went up to 10 dollars a pound and I couldn't justify that. Never went back, but my average consumption of meat doubled and I feel weird if I eat less.

One of the things about carnivore that I learned is that meat is nutritionally very dense, but it is easy to under eat. After cooking burgers I would butter them, for example. Basically just butter everything except bacon. A pound of ground beef, after cooking it, is something like 850 calories for example. I was working a heavy manual labor job and eating 4 lbs of ground beef a day to maintain my weight.

Generally speaking, cooking meat well done destroys the vitamin C content. So I would attempt once every week or two to eat steak blue rare. When money was tight, medium hamburgers worked. The body requires vitamins differently on carnivore than it does on a grain based diet. People who eat tons of grains have to eat foods with tons of vitamin C or their teeth fall out. You're eating fruit, so you are probably fine, but just for your information if you ever decide to cut that out. Meat and fruit diet is plenty valid and a fine way to live.

Leaner meats like turkey and chicken are good for variety. Pork shoulder is generally very cheap and fatty. Cheese is nice. A jaccard will make a gross, tough cut of meat into something a lot more tender and palatable, same with a meat hammer.

Beef gelatin makes for a fine treat, my favorite dessert was diet root beer with heavy cream poured into it.

Pork is weird because if I smoke it or pan fry it, like with pork chops, I don't smell the feedlot, that foul odor. But if I cook it any other way, I do. Happened while doing carnivore and never went away. I smell it on grocery store pork but not from the pork we got from the farm five miles away. No idea why.

Dry rubs in my opinion work better and waste less than brines do. If for example, I were to season chicken or a brisket or whatever, I'd layer the spice on and let it sit in the frisge overnight for more flavor.

Every long term carnivore on the internet who still does it makes no special effort to eat organ meats, such as Shawn Baker. Every carnivore that made special effort to eat organ meats or raw carnivore or whatever weird nose to tail, guts, offal whatever, eventually quit the diet altogether. Saladino was one but there are others that I can't recall off the top of my head. Anecdotal, but something to think about. Regular medium rare steak will never steer you wrong.

Other ramblings. Get a pellet smoker. It makes any meat awesome and it is as easy as using an oven.

Jerky is fine as a treat, but it is too lean to consider it a meal. Biltong exists and I tried real hard to make it work, had a biltong box amd everything but the vinegar and other spices were unpalatable to me. Pemmican is an idea, but it's basically a greasy brick of powdered meat and fat and not at all satisfying to eat like actual meat.

Kind of a ramble.

I did carnivore for 5 months pre covid. During covid I stopped because ground beef went up to 10 dollars a pound and I couldn't justify that. Never went back, but my average consumption of meat doubled and I feel weird if I eat less.

One of the things about carnivore that I learned is that meat is nutritionally very dense, but it is easy to under eat. After cooking burgers I would butter them, for example. Basically just butter everything except bacon. A pound of ground beef, after cooking it, is something like 850 calories for example. I was working a heavy manual labor job and eating 4 lbs of ground beef a day to maintain my weight.

Generally speaking, cooking meat well done destroys the vitamin C content. So I would attempt once every week or two to eat steak blue rare. When money was tight, medium hamburgers worked. The body requires vitamins differently on carnivore than it does on a grain based diet. People who eat tons of grains have to eat foods with tons of vitamin C or their teeth fall out. You're eating fruit, so you are probably fine, but just for your information if you ever decide to cut that out. Meat and fruit diet is plenty valid and a fine way to live.

Leaner meats like turkey and chicken are good for variety. Pork shoulder is generally very cheap and fatty. Cheese is nice. A jaccard will make a gross, tough cut of meat into something a lot more tender and palatable, same with a meat hammer.

Beef gelatin makes for a fine treat, my favorite dessert was diet root beer with heavy cream poured into it.

Pork is weird because if I smoke it or pan fry it, like with pork chops, I don't smell the feedlot, that foul odor. But if I cook it any other way, I do. Happened while doing carnivore and never went away. I smell it on grocery store pork but not from the pork we got from the farm five miles away. No idea why.

Dry rubs in my opinion work better and waste less than brines do. If for example, I were to season chicken or a brisket or whatever, I'd layer the spice on and let it sit in the frisge overnight for more flavor.

Every long term carnivore on the internet who still does it makes no special effort to eat organ meats, such as Shawn Baker. Every carnivore that made special effort to eat organ meats or raw carnivore or whatever weird nose to tail, guts, offal whatever, eventually quit the diet altogether. Saladino was one but there are others that I can't recall off the top of my head. Anecdotal, but something to think about. Regular medium rare steak will never steer you wrong.

Other ramblings. Get a pellet smoker. It makes any meat awesome and it is as easy as using an oven.

Jerky is fine as a treat, but it is too lean to consider it a meal. Biltong exists and I tried real hard to make it work, had a biltong box amd everything but the vinegar and other spices were unpalatable to me. Pemmican is an idea, but it's basically a greasy brick of powdered meat and fat and not at all satisfying to eat like actual meat.
Smoker (I like offset and use lump charcoal) is a must.

Dry rubs also on point.

I smoke lots of red meat, turkey, ECT... Especially during college football season.

I also like green egg styles cookers also.

Back