• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Web Browser Privacy

LibreWolf

LibreWolf is a FireFox based-browser and the gold standard of privacy-oriented desktop browsers
. It disables quite a lot of functionality and heavily blocks spyware and potential spyware. The result is that some sites might not work (properly). That is more so the case with eCommerce sites and payment gateways. You are also likely to get more captchas using this browser, as it disables ways captcha services use to determine if you are a bot. It also completely disables your web cam and microphone.

I would recommend using this for your main browser for work and general browsing.
It's suspiciously absent in most browsers, not sure if the same can be done in Librewolf.
I can see that Yandex browser is available for Linux but the search engine is enough for me for the moment..

After setting Brave to use Yandex I was getting more and more bothered about feeding a satanic globohomo monster by not using it in Librewolf and anyway, it took all of 2 minutes to add it!

You just go to yandex.com let it load then right click the task bar and select the last option. That accesses some kind of "opensearch" thing on the Yandex page. Thereafter if you go to the settings in Librewolf Yandex appears as a choice for default search engine, just select it.

Wolves and foxes are both furry carnivores but wolves are more powerful..

The constant captcha tests of Yandex are becoming intolerable and I am wondering whether to install the Yandex browser where it may just let me use Yandex in peace. Have any of you installed the Yandex browser on Linux? Not sure why Yandex is so militant with the captchas, maybe there are a lot of DDOS attacks on it or something..

A browser add-on I recommend is NoScript. There is a learning curve but you should block scripts that don’t come from the same domain as the website. The idea is to block as much JavaScript as possible without breaking the website. Makes browsing safer by avoiding exploits and tracking. Pages load faster, use less cpu (longer battery) and bypasses articles paywalls.

And obviously uBlock Origins with the right filters.

Another important option in Firefox is to clean your cookies after closing the browser. You whitelist the few websites you want to keep logged in.

Mullvad Browser is my preferred default browser these days, it's basically the Tor Browser (so it comes with all the extra hardening) but without Tor connectivity.

That’s a name I trust. Thanks to them I learned about bitcoin in early 2012, QubeOS and WireGuard.

They’re always finding ways to protect user’s privacy. Their servers run in RAM so it leaves no logs.

Back