Voting for Evil

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 378
  • Start date Start date

The Question about Paying Taxes (Mt. 20:22)​

15 Then the Pharisees went and took counsel how to entangle him in his talk. 16 And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Hero′di-ans, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are true, and teach the way of God truthfully, and care for no man; for you do not regard the position of men. 17 Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?” 18 But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? 19 Show me the money for the tax.” And they brought him a coin.[a] 20 And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” 21 They said, “Caesar’s.” Then he said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” 22 When they heard it, they marveled; and they left him and went away.

19 Show me the money for the tax.” And they brought him a coin.[a] 20 And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” 21 They said, “Caesar’s.” Then he said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
Not sure if that applies to today's taxes, since today's taxes are more than half of your income. I guess it wasn't that much back then.
Nonetheless, I'm going to do my best to avoid taxes all the time, and I'm not going to change that.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is still voting.

Not sure if that applies to today's taxes, since today's taxes are more than half of your income. I guess it wasn't that much back then.
Nonetheless, I'm going to do my best to avoid taxes all the time, and I'm not going to change that.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is still voting.

No one knows for sure how much the tax was, but Jesus commanded us to pay the tax and not doing so means disobeying Jesus. It's that simple.

It should also be noted that laws back then were 10x harsher than they are now, if you couldn't pay your tax on time then you, your wife, or your children could be sold into slavery to pay the tax-debt. Furthermore taxmen could simply lie about how much they collected, and claim you owed much more than you really did. They could also claim you didn't pay even when you actually did pay. Tax collectors were notorious liars but people had no choice but to obey them or else get sold into slavery, and that is why they are so despised in the Bible.

However, this doesn't call into question revolutions or using the laws against the system. Those can still be fine. Paying as little tax as possible is fine and good. But simply doing rogue actions by oneself against the state is technically a sin.

The Apostille Paul also said the same thing, and during his lifetime taxes were used by the state to capture Christians and feed them to the lions for sport under Nero. And yet Paul said to pay your tax.

The real reason is that God has a plan; the same oppressive Roman government would someday become the largest Christian force in the world. Had people not paid their taxes there wouldn't have been a government for God to use.

God commanded us to pay our taxes through his Son, therefore, being a Christian means giving to Washington's what is Washington's. This includes your dollars, AND your vote. Not voting is also a sin by extension and modern Orthodox Priests teach this.

Back