The Rest In Peace (RIP) Thread

Rest in Peace Bobby Knight. The only college basketball coach to run an undefeated season. He was a national championship coach and a master of his trade. If you want some great (and plentiful) entertainment, just twitter or youtube search for him. There's gold out there.

Rest in Peace Bobby Knight. The only college basketball coach to run an undefeated season. He was a national championship coach and a master of his trade. If you want some great (and plentiful) entertainment, just twitter or youtube search for him. There's gold out there.

This one was a gut punch for me. IU is my alma mater and I attended school there in the 90's.

Knight was coaching there then and of course growing up in Indiana and being a bit of a local basketball star, I wanted to play for Bob Knight. When he would walk in the arena during warmups, everyone's attention would turn from the players to him. There was electricity in the air when BK entered a room.

My childhood revolved around IU basketball and life was scheduled around Hoosier games. Bob Knight was my hero, tough, honest, demanding, and the best sports coach I ever witnessed. He was my inspiration to get into coaching and many of my techniques came from coach Knight.

He came to one of my games once when I was in high school to watch his son Pat play against my high school. I went all out that game to impress coach. It was one of my worst games that I ever played. Wasn't meant to be.

RIP coach

My childhood revolved around IU basketball and life was scheduled around Hoosier games. Bob Knight was my hero, tough, honest, demanding, and the best sports coach I ever witnessed. He was my inspiration to get into coaching and many of my techniques came from coach Knight.
I was inspired me to learn how to throw a chair across the court.
indiana-chair.gif

I was inspired me to learn how to throw a chair across the court.
indiana-chair.gif
If you only knew, brother. I was a different man back then. Broke a few clipboards over the years.

I had a friend that played for Knight while we were both at IU and he loved the man. It took a special young man to play for coach.

His style doesn't translate anymore and that's too bad in my opinion.

If you only knew, brother. I was a different man back then. Broke a few clipboards over the years.

I had a friend that played for Knight while we were both at IU and he loved the man. It took a special young man to play for coach.

His style doesn't translate anymore and that's too bad in my opinion.
That was one of those "I love that guy" moments in life. How do you not love that guy? Didn't Knight later admit that he was more mad at his team for playing poorly than he was at the ref for a call? He was trying to spark some energy.

Anyone that has ever coached has wanted to throw the proverbial Knight chair. He had a way of getting the most out of his team, which seldom had real super star power. There's a leadership lesson in there. Sometimes sheer will and crazy commitment is what wins the day. Be about your business and let the cards fall where they may. Just be about your business.

That was one of those "I love that guy" moments in life. How do you not love that guy? Didn't Knight later admit that he was more mad at his team for playing poorly than he was at the ref for a call? He was trying to spark some energy.

Anyone that has ever coached has wanted to throw the proverbial Knight chair. He had a way of getting the most out of his team, which seldom had real super star power. There's a leadership lesson in there. Sometimes sheer will and crazy commitment is what wins the day. Be about your business and let the cards fall where they may. Just be about your business.

A chair is pretty good. But how about a bench!

benchthrowftorek.gif

Singer for the Pogues. Dead.

i was at a family event recently, and this song was played. All my Irish relatives sang the chorus and stomped their feet. The non-Irish there were impressed how we all knew the song.

92 million views for a song sung by what sounds like a drunk crackhead homeless guy arguing with his tweaker girlfriend. I don't get the appeal, but God rest his soul...

"You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last"

💩 🤢 🚫

Last edited:
RIP Ryan O'Neal. Best known for Love Story and Barry Lyndon, he was a stoic bad ass in The Driver.

One of the stars of this:

A rare example of a film with so many "names" that the actors are listed in alphabetical order.

He was also the long time companion of the schoolboy fantasy of his era:

Gaston-Glock.jpg

Gaston Glock, the man behind the gun, dies aged 94 - APA​

Dec 27 - Gaston Glock, the reclusive engineer and tycoon who developed one of the world's best-selling handguns, died on Wednesday aged 94, Austrian news agency APA said.

The Austrian won loyal followings among police and military across the world with the weapons that bore his name. Forbes estimated his and his family's fortune at $1.1 billion in 2021.

His rise began in the 1980s when the Austrian military was looking for a new, innovative weapon.

Up until then, the Glock company had made military knives and consumer goods including curtain rods. But he assembled a team of firearms experts and came up with the Glock 17, a lightweight semi-automatic gun largely made of plastic.

The revolutionary design - with a frame made of a high-strength, nylon-based polymer and only the slide made of metal - beat several other companies' blueprints and secured his upstart outfit the contract.

Soon the easily assembled weapon became a global hit. "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol," Tommy Lee Jones said in the 1998 movie "U.S. Marshals".

Many U.S. police officers used them and U.S. rappers worked them into their rhymes, among them Snoop Dogg's "Protocol" and Wu-Tang Clan's "Da Glock".

Glock had grown suspicious of how the broker was managing his affairs and had flown to Luxembourg to confront him, lawyers said. He suffered seven blows to the head but fended off the assault. The broker, Charles Ewert, and the attacker, Jacques Pecheur, were both jailed.

His 49-year-old marriage with Helga Glock ended in divorce in 2011 and the pair embarked on a lengthy legal battle over alimony. Soon after, he married his second wife, Kathrin, more than 50 years his junior.

He owned a lakefront mansion and a state-of-the-art equestrian sport centre in the province of Carinthia, where celebrities showed up for parties.

He is survived by his wife, a daughter and two sons.

Who is Gaston Glock?​

Back