• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

The Movie Thread

For me, it's Zulu.
wz3z1a.gif

I was tempted to start a thread about bad movies and guilty pleasures, bad movies we love to hate and bad movies that have some redeeming value, so I'm happy someone started a movie thread.

Anyone else planning on watching Killers of the Flower Moon? It's one of few movies that caught my eye in the last ~3 years. I'm currently waiting for a time where my theater isn't too full to watch it.

Also unrelated but, do people clap at the end of movies in your country?
Yeah, it's currently got an 8.2 rating on IMDB so it sounds promising. It's weird though seeing Leo with a love interest who isn't some young, good-looking starlet. Anyway, the movie has gotten good reviews for the directing and acting so I suspect it's going to win a lot of awards. However, with a 3 1/2-hour runtime, I'll wait to watch it in my own living room.

Leo and Martin have made some really good films together and apparently, there are more on the horizon as DiCaprio is in 2 more upcoming films by the director.

Yeah, it's currently got an 8.2 rating on IMDB so it sounds promising. It's weird though seeing Leo with a love interest who isn't some young, good-looking starlet. Anyway, the movie has gotten good reviews for the directing and acting so I suspect it's going to win a lot of awards. However, with a 3 1/2-hour runtime, I'll wait to watch it in my own living room.

Leo and Martin have made some really good films together and apparently, there are more on the horizon as DiCaprio is in 2 more upcoming films by the director.
3 hours?? That's quite a lot. I mean I watched the Godfather trilogy, which is quite long, among other long movies, but on a theater that is quite something. I'll be watching it today, so I'll probably post my thoughts here later.

Anyone else planning on watching Killers of the Flower Moon? It's one of few movies that caught my eye in the last ~3 years. I'm currently waiting for a time where my theater isn't too full to watch it.

Also unrelated but, do people clap at the end of movies in your country?
I watched it in the cinema on Friday here in Canada. I really enjoyed it, but then I'm a Scorsese fan. Very long indeed, about 3.5hrs, not counting the length of the end credits. But I've always liked long movies (assuming they're good). My friends often joked that I'd pick my movies by length. Some might roll their eyes at the subject matter, thinking "Oh boy, some woke film all about the plight of the poor, oppressed Injun..." In all fairness, it's based on historical events and well, plenty of people were that underhanded, unscrupulous, and downright greedy. These kind of people were fit to be tied that tribes like the Osage could be expelled from their lands, forcibly resettled in the Indian Territory (Oklahoma) on some of the poorest land, only for it to transpire later that they were sitting atop an ocean of oil. I believe in a just God and love to see people like DeNiro's and DiCaprio's characters get their comeuppance.

And to your second point, people here in Canada do sometimes clap at the end of movies, if it's considered a particularly great or moving film.

Very good movie, I loved it. Not woke at all. I can't really detail it since spoilers, but yeah. I'm also tired from the 3 hours and general weekend touching grass.

I watched it in the cinema on Friday here in Canada. I really enjoyed it, but then I'm a Scorsese fan. Very long indeed, about 3.5hrs, not counting the length of the end credits. But I've always liked long movies (assuming they're good). My friends often joked that I'd pick my movies by length. Some might roll their eyes at the subject matter, thinking "Oh boy, some woke film all about the plight of the poor, oppressed Injun..." In all fairness, it's based on historical events and well, plenty of people were that underhanded, unscrupulous, and downright greedy. These kind of people were fit to be tied that tribes like the Osage could be expelled from their lands, forcibly resettled in the Indian Territory (Oklahoma) on some of the poorest land, only for it to transpire later that they were sitting atop an ocean of oil. I believe in a just God and love to see people like DeNiro's and DiCaprio's characters get their comeuppance.

And to your second point, people here in Canada do sometimes clap at the end of movies, if it's considered a particularly great or moving film.
I love Scorsese. Taxi Driver is my favorite movie. I felt it was too long. The ending was too long and boring.
Law scenes are boring. Judgement is often boring. There is a reason Godfather 2 made them the shortest part of the movie despite being such a key part of it.

My great grandmother was indigenous Brazilian (I'm still Aryan though) and I don't really have anything against them, so I didn't mind it. It's also historical, yeah.

People didn't clap here since half the audience is very old, but like 3 people were on their phones. One morbidly obese brown guy, and a woman were the ones in my front. Had to change seat since they were shamelessly scrolling Tik Tok like there aren't people behind them. Why not just walk out? Then again, the fatty would probably break a sweat on the stairs.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about a film called 'Nefarious' that's out this year. Anyone seen it?
It was discussed a bit on RVF and I think there's pretty wide agreement that it is the most detailed exposition of demonology on the big screen, which is its strength and worth a look for people, mostly Christians, who are interested in that topic. There were a couple of other demonology films out this year that were terrible.

The overall criticism from those who were not totally impressed despite accepting the low budget and the film's premise was that it was guilty of gilding the lily and just having a very controlled situation that for some was actually boring.

My minority opinion, in addition to recognizing its strength mentioned above, is that if suffers from the primary subversion of storytelling, which is the bread and butter of Hollywood's cultural corruption, which is not providing a "good guy" with whom the audience can identify. The film is actually a twisted and ultimately subversive demoralizer because it puts us in the position of identifying more with the demon character, who believes in God, while his opponent is an arrogant, atheist, materialist, head-shrinker, and is very easy to hate. And that's a sin in general, but perhaps not against fictional characters, although watching this can be an exercise that strengthens the hate muscles, so to speak.

The way the film is written, we actually root against the human and condemn him for his sins and denying him mercy or love, while cheering on the demon for revealing the other's hypocrisy. If you're aware of this while watching and protect yourself, then you can appreciate the film for its good bits, which I think are worth the price of admission.

Killers of the Flower Moon was good, self-indulgent for sure (could have had about 30 minutes cut easily) but I'll forgive Scorsese that.

One of the interesting subcurrents of the film that I didn't expect was its portrayal of freemasonry and how leaders cultivate loyalty (abuse/love bombing) and form a boy's club that can basically run small towns through recruiting police, doctors, and other influential figures.

This is an interesting new documentary from Angel Studios, producers of The Chosen and Sound of Freedom.

I've often seen some of these stories told before on YouTube before but they are cheaply made. This one looks like it has a good production with a decent budget behind it—definitely something I'd watch.

Back