• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

The Mexico Thread

Good idea for a thread. I'm in my mid-50s and considering retiring in Mexico in a couple years. Anyone have any suggestions/advice?
I haven't moved abroad before, but my two cents would go as follows:
1. Learn the native language decently (in this case spanish)
2. Make connections with the locals in the area that can help make the transition easier (i.e. church or expat communities)
3. Find a form of local income. Get a rental property, start a small a business or something. I would never want to be in a new place without some kind of local income to keep me afloat incase of a SHTF scenario and somehow my "lavish" western income gets shut down.

This is where I would focus on first. I heard Mexico doesn't let foreigners own land there, but they work out some kind of long term lease contract. Expat communities were nice when I visited the ones near Chapala lake in Jalisco.

Mexico seems to have the opposite problem than the US, where the small country towns are more dangerous than the cities. So the best bet for a foreigner would be to live in a expat community or a decently safe city.

I have a friend who moved to San Miguel de Allende, and another in Cancun. The first is fine, but it's full of gringos and real estate is about as expensive as the USA, which defeats the purpose. The guy in Cancun lives like an old RVF member, cheap and parties a lot, goes surfing or scuba diving every day and lives on about $1,200 a month. I don't know if I agree with the cities vs rural danger. Mexico is huge. Some cities are fine, others are scary. Ditto the rural life.

Life is good down there. It's a bit unstable for me now, but if they ever fixed up the cartels and boot out the Jew president, I'm interested.

Mexico has its first female president and its first Jewish president. Seems like an occasion to resurrect this thread.

I'd somehow never heard of her until now.

Nothing to see here. Just normal Zio-election rigging.

1717485858766.png

I have a friend who moved to San Miguel de Allende, and another in Cancun. The first is fine, but it's full of gringos and real estate is about as expensive as the USA, which defeats the purpose. The guy in Cancun lives like an old RVF member, cheap and parties a lot, goes surfing or scuba diving every day and lives on about $1,200 a month. I don't know if I agree with the cities vs rural danger. Mexico is huge. Some cities are fine, others are scary. Ditto the rural life.

Life is good down there. It's a bit unstable for me now, but if they ever fixed up the cartels and boot out the Jew president, I'm interested.
I traveled in Mexico a lot as a young man in the 1990s, before the drug wars. It was basically paradise: nice weather, great food, much better beaches than California. Super cheap and easy to get around the whole country on buses too. Never had any problems, and people were very friendly. I miss it.

It's probably still pretty cool and I get that a lot of expats living there say it's still safe in a lot of places but on the other hand you hear horror stories about kidnappings. I've heard that most of the "Americans" who get kidnapped are actually Mexicans with US citizenship who have ties to the narcos but especially now that I have kids I'd rather not test that theory.

Discerning the better locations in LatAm is an interesting task. I think the Mexican economy stands to improve the most of all the countries, but you do have to have insight on what region or city suits you best. I plan to visit it more and more over the next few years.

Discerning the better locations in LatAm is an interesting task. I think the Mexican economy stands to improve the most of all the countries, but you do have to have insight on what region or city suits you best. I plan to visit it more and more over the next few years.
Same here. Parts of Mexico are enticing. Seems risky, but also overblown in the safer parts.

Panama, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic are also appealing. Chile seems interesting but would be a huge change.

I traveled in Mexico a lot as a young man in the 1990s, before the drug wars. It was basically paradise: nice weather, great food, much better beaches than California. Super cheap and easy to get around the whole country on buses too. Never had any problems, and people were very friendly. I miss it.

It's probably still pretty cool and I get that a lot of expats living there say it's still safe in a lot of places but on the other hand you hear horror stories about kidnappings. I've heard that most of the "Americans" who get kidnapped are actually Mexicans with US citizenship who have ties to the narcos but especially now that I have kids I'd rather not test that theory.
About a month ago 3 surfers (two Americans and one Aussie) were killed by bandits at a fairly known (but out of the way) surf spot a bit south of Ensenada. So there's definitely risk. I drove with the family the whole length of Baja and back about 9 years ago. We went on a combo mission trip (built a playground at a poor church near La Paz) and surf trip. Took about 3 weeks. Never had any issues and 9 years ago was as bad as now. Even the 18 year old military traffic checkpoint dudes were cool (and the family that traveled with us all had very blonde hair but no harassment).

Funny thing. I used to go with a church to an orphanage outside Rosarito and spend a day (usually Saturday) with them. Did that about 7 or 8 times. I would bring my 5 and 7 year old as well which my wife was never happy about (she lacks faith!) and that's why I eventually stopped going. Anyway, I never felt scared or uneasy going down there. But, when I would go down there to surf I never felt totally at ease. The Lord gives you peace when you are serving Him, but when you (or at least for me) are serving yourself that supernatural peace isn't there. But again, maybe that's just me.

All said, I love Mexico. People are for the most part friendly and down to earth. Would retire there or in central America in a heartbeat if I can get wife on board.

About a month ago 3 surfers (two Americans and one Aussie) were killed by bandits at a fairly known (but out of the way) surf spot a bit south of Ensenada. So there's definitely risk. I drove with the family the whole length of Baja and back about 9 years ago. We went on a combo mission trip (built a playground at a poor church near La Paz) and surf trip. Took about 3 weeks. Never had any issues and 9 years ago was as bad as now. Even the 18 year old military traffic checkpoint dudes were cool (and the family that traveled with us all had very blonde hair but no harassment).

Funny thing. I used to go with a church to an orphanage outside Rosarito and spend a day (usually Saturday) with them. Did that about 7 or 8 times. I would bring my 5 and 7 year old as well which my wife was never happy about (she lacks faith!) and that's why I eventually stopped going. Anyway, I never felt scared or uneasy going down there. But, when I would go down there to surf I never felt totally at ease. The Lord gives you peace when you are serving Him, but when you (or at least for me) are serving yourself that supernatural peace isn't there. But again, maybe that's just me.

All said, I love Mexico. People are for the most part friendly and down to earth. Would retire there or in central America in a heartbeat if I can get wife on board.
That's interesting, what you say about surfing vs. doing missionary work. I do a lot fun stuff for me when I could be doing charity work or something for the church instead. Iboften wonder where to draw the line. Anyway, topic for another thread.

Back