• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

The Basketball Thread

cheapchampion

Other Christian
Heritage
The RVF had a thread committed to the NBA. I figured I would call this basketball at large so as to include conversations about high school, college basketball, etc, as well.

Now,speaking of NBA, the regular season started tipped off yesterday but for the bulk of the league it begins today. I have followed and supported the Portland Trail Blazers ever since I settled down in Oregon after leaving the Army in 2007. The Blazers had a busy off-season with trying to find a deal for Lillard then finally moving him to Milwaukee to pair with Giannis. I'm excited about what they got in return for that deal, which was really a multi-part and multi-team deal, as well as the young talent they already have (namely Scoot Henderson and Shaeden Sharpe). As such, I'm more excited about the team and the NBA this year than I've been since 2007. I don't have time to watch many games but I'll be sure to check out some highlights. (Plus, as a veteran, I get free Blazers tickets several times a season, and will check one out live this year).

184.jpg

I haven't used this image in more than 4 years.

My way-too-early NBA 23/24 season predictions:

MVP: Joker
Champions: Boston (beating Denver in 7 games)
Clutch Player of the Year: Lillard
Most Improved: Tyrese Maxey
Defensive Player: Gobert
6th man: Immanuel Quickly (I'm the least confident about this one)
Rookie: Wembanyama (although, I suspect he might get injured)

Let's see how many I get right!

There was a decent fight in the NBA a couple days ago. Way more entertaining than the actual game. Even ignoring the woke political nonsense, I don't know how NBA fans can take it seriously anymore. The quality of the games is terrible, and teams are scoring like 120 points a game. And now they have some stupid play in series to make the regular season seem important. At least the commercial breaks aren't as obnoxious as football.

I second all of your predictions except Quickly (not sure who else I'd pick though) and Boston winning it all. I do think Boston is the most talented team but I have Milwaukee beating Denver, let's say also in 7.

I was a huge fan of the NBA, and Jokic in particular, also still love playing Basketball but I simply can't invest in watching sports anymore.
When you realise the NBA is a pure entertainment business, and not really about Basketball it's hard to watch. It's more like the WWF ..... but ultimately it's just a tool of tribal mass distraction and a waste of time.

I was a huge fan of the NBA, and Jokic in particular, also still love playing Basketball but I simply can't invest in watching sports anymore.
When you realise the NBA is a pure entertainment business, and not really about Basketball it's hard to watch. It's more like the WWF ..... but ultimately it's just a tool of tribal mass distraction and a waste of time.

I agree sports are a distraction, but I think sometimes distractions are needed.

While it's important to be aware of all the evil lies & scams the elite are pulling on us, constantly focusing on them is really bad for your mental health.

Sometimes you just need to unwind and enjoy yourself :)

5/7 - not bad!

I'm a Nuggets fan, so I obviously would've preferred it if they won this year - however, I do also like Joe Mazzullaa, Boston's outspoken Christian coach :)

Back