The American Dream & Alternative Solutions

Christos_NIKA

Orthodox
Heritage
For the second quarter of 2023, the average sales price of homes sold in the United States was $495,100, just $60,000 below the record average price set at the end of 2022. Since the beginning of 2019, the cost of buying a home has risen by more than a hundred thousand dollars. Not surprisingly, mortgage demand has recently sunk to a 28-year low, with applications down 44% from last year.

"The new American dream : Escaping the USA"

Last edited:
For the second quarter of 2023, the average sales price of homes sold in the United States was $495,100, just $60,000 below the record average price set at the end of 2022. Since the beginning of 2019, the cost of buying a home has risen by more than a hundred thousand dollars. Not surprisingly, mortgage demand has recently sunk to a 28-year low, with applications down 44% from last year.

While this is important, there's clearly something larger than this going on too: the marriage and family formation part. Again, it will fix itself through greater and greater material loss, but the "homes are too expensive" is also a convenient extra reason to thrown on top of the fact that single people, especially as they age, don't just buy homes for fun (though they might if they see it as an asset worth investing in, but those are rich people). When women aren't seeking marriage at early ages, neither men nor women will be "looking to buy a house" because ... they don't need a house as a single person. Put another way, you don't look for housing unless you are married or plan on getting married soon. The American Dream was "lost" when women stopped pursuing marriage in their valuable years, ages 20-24. Everything else is just details once that fully eroded.

While this is important, there's clearly something larger than this going on too: the marriage and family formation part. Again, it will fix itself through greater and greater material loss, but the "homes are too expensive" is also a convenient extra reason to thrown on top of the fact that single people, especially as they age, don't just buy homes for fun (though they might if they see it as an asset worth investing in, but those are rich people). When women aren't seeking marriage at early ages, neither men nor women will be "looking to buy a house" because ... they don't need a house as a single person. Put another way, you don't look for housing unless you are married or plan on getting married soon. The American Dream was "lost" when women stopped pursuing marriage in their valuable years, ages 20-24. Everything else is just details once that fully eroded.
Something else I'd like to add to your salient points is: Feminism destroyed family dynasties (wealth building).

In the days of antiquity marriage was also a means to merge family money, and then pass it along to children as inheritance. In mercantile, and upper caste circles, this was considered before marriage, as an evaluation metric of a potentially worthy spouse. Such days are gone. Think about how drastically this altered the culture, it is no longer the norm for both the aspiring, or established, single person to view marriage as a financial, and lifelong, investment to build a family legacy.

Probably two of the most affordable places for property are Russia and Thailand. In Russia, I've seen fairly high-tier 5-6 bedrooms homes with indoor swimming pools for about $250,000+. An apartment outside Moscow with good transport links will cost about $70,000. A new one with good interiors. New Russian apartments are often good quality, while anything older is not so good.

If you have younger sons, I think a good thing would be to try and get them started with their own online income before the age of 18. i.e. they start once they are a teen and should have at least a basic nest egg by the time they are 18. They can make projects of any topic - sport, crypto, religion, finance, books. So any sphere can be their sphere. It has the downside of being at the computer a lot, but could be offset with living rurally and spending time outside too.

If you have younger sons, I think a good thing would be to try and get them started with their own online income before the age of 18. i.e. they start once they are a teen and should have at least a basic nest egg by the time they are 18. They can make projects of any topic - sport, crypto, religion, finance, books. So any sphere can be their sphere. It has the downside of being at the computer a lot, but could be offset with living rurally and spending time outside too.
Is 33 too old to start running something like this online to have indie income? It’s becoming obvious that working a job is not going to do it anymore. Drives me nuts having wasted a decade post college following advice and being told “there are little old ladies who are millionaires who were simply school teachers, and they got that way because they saved.” Different world. The new American dream sees a system that’s based on pure consumption of paper weath so it’s obviously hostile to saving and building. Modern wealth is now independence from said system.

Is 33 too old to start running something like this online to have indie income? It’s becoming obvious that working a job is not going to do it anymore. Drives me nuts having wasted a decade post college following advice and being told “there are little old ladies who are millionaires who were simply school teachers, and they got that way because they saved.” Different world. The new American dream sees a system that’s based on pure consumption of paper weath so it’s obviously hostile to saving and building. Modern wealth is now independence from said system.

There was a guy on RVF who turned his life around and became a programmer at 30 or so. But each person's path will be different. Most people are not cut out for executive roles, even if that is doing everything yourself from a laptop at home. A lot a skills and characteristics are required. But the general overheads with anything online are lower. You don't need more than what you can buy for $100 or so.

I think if you raise a boy to do something like that, it will be more likely to work.

The psyop is that everyone should move out of their parents at 18, buy a house, and individually own a car. We as a family have downsized to one car, live in a modestly affordable rental, and are considering buying land in which we could have our extended family and friends start a commune on. Family > everything.

They want you lonely, in debt, and chained to a job where you will kill yourself by age 50.

Resist.

The psyop is that everyone should move out of their parents at 18, buy a house, and individually own a car. We as a family have downsized to one car, live in a modestly affordable rental, and are considering buying land in which we could have our extended family and friends start a commune on. Family > everything.

They want you lonely, in debt, and chained to a job where you will kill yourself by age 50.

Resist.
My parents wanted me out of the house as soon as possible. They started pushing at 16. Be thankful if you have a family with whom you share a close bond.

Your parents were psyopped.

Break the cycle with your own children.
You'll get this sort of thing from other people in the boomer and mostly silent generation too, where if they find out you stay with your parents for even a small portion of the time, they give off an air that you are a freeloader. Instead of just being with and taking care of your parents, a lot of whom are older, and probably enjoy it to boot if you are a good son or daughter. I think more of it has to do with projection and insecurity (they feel they have somewhat loser kids) than anything. But it's still sad, because they have what another poster calls crystallized thinking, which is just this inability to really analyze anything any longer, I'm guessing after the age of 50 or 60 for most. You see it all the time with BTC, as an example, which is why that term came up originally. But it can be applied to many different topics.

One of the things we have to be mindful of here is that not only do we all have this ability to analyze in general, we learn and seek out information and other ways of thinking from other people. A lot of people don't have this knack, ability, desire, or the energy to do so - or all of the above. As such, it's fairly impossible for them to break generalized status quo or matrix thinking. Sad, but true.

Home prices (sadly) been rising and increasingly unaffordable for most people. This is not unique to the US. Some countries in Europe and Asia have much bigger problems on this field.

I believe this was engineered by global oligarchs to stop family formation and as a result decrease population. In almost every country in the world (like with COVID), central bank interest rates have been zero or near zero for over a decade and a half. This is a major historical anomaly. The problem is that if you can borrow money for less than the cost of inflation, then you are essentially getting paid to borrow money, and so many well-connected people and institutions are incentivized to borrow from these central banks but have nowhere to put all of this money (you can only buy so many toys), and so they buy up assets like real estate and stocks. This surges demand resulting in a surge in price. There has historically been a very clear trend on the stock market regarding central bank interest rates. Rates low? Stocks rise. Rates high? Stocks struggle. These low interest rates (and other policies engineered from the top) have created one of the most extreme asset bubbles in history, including record high home prices that are completely unaffordable for 95% of people in their 20s-30s in almost every single country in the world. When people feel lack of stability about housing, they also feel less comfortable committing to marriage and having children. Oligarchs win with depop.

I've talked to baby boomers in many different countries in the world (former communist countries, third world "crap holes", rich Western countries, etc), and for the most part none of them can understand current realities. In almost every country in the world it was relatively easy for the boomers to buy a house. They didn't need any special accomplishments or to work 80-hour weeks or have some type of specialized career or be successful entrepreneurs. Just normal people could afford homes through normal work. This is obviously not the case today.

Definitely I think that one of the best ways to escape this is to make money in a Western country and invest it in a poorer country. Online jobs, building some type of business that can be run from a distance, or saving from a decent job in the West and then buying things like rental property cash in some poorer locale.

If you are without dependents, another idea is to drive semi-trucks so that you can stack cash for investing into the above while not having to pay rent. Maybe also read like one book per day through audiobooks.

I've talked to baby boomers in many different countries in the world (former communist countries, third world "crap holes", rich Western countries, etc), and for the most part none of them can understand current realities.
They aren't any good at understanding it in any case. What was different for the pre 2000 years was that there wasn't much going on in terms of expectations either. This whole smartphone/tech/women thing has been the ultimate disaster for attention and that includes their jonesing against one another as wives, but also thinking they could be "living their best life" and jealous of others' flaunting and travels, which makes them lazier and against working on basic things (like taking care of kids and family), especially if they are older.

I personally think a lot of the excuses of "too expensive" (house, taxes, kids) is more about the built in indoctrination for women to not pursue earlier marriage. Those excuses just fall in line as explanations later. Because we don't have young men and women marrying early, both will just assume that "no one gets married" until women are too old and then it's not as interesting anyway, so they keep putting it off ...

Home prices (sadly) been rising and increasingly unaffordable for most people. This is not unique to the US. Some countries in Europe and Asia have much bigger problems on this field.
A site I've mentioned a few times over the years:

A shadow of it's former self, after the mods deleted two threads on the religion of peace in off topic, and members voted with their feet, but still worth a look.

Probably two of the most affordable places for property are Russia and Thailand. In Russia, I've seen fairly high-tier 5-6 bedrooms homes with indoor swimming pools for about $250,000+. An apartment outside Moscow with good transport links will cost about $70,000. A new one with good interiors. New Russian apartments are often good quality, while anything older is not so good.

Russia is too cold. For me I could only consider having a summer vacation house/apartment there.

And how would you transfer money into Russia? You would be in for an adventure. Russian banks treat crypto with suspicion, by the way, and easily freeze accounts. If you are a foreigner, especially hostile country citizen, with crypto flow in might get suspected of funding anti government activities. These sanctions are in for a long run, may be decades, like Iran. Anything money will be pain. There are also major capital controls inside Russia. People who need to move money in and out use cash exchanges through friends, like havala in Iran or jump though unbelievable hoops. Your best bet is Eastern Europe.

Back