• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Restaurants

Restaurants already have paper thin margins as it is and are one of the most failure-prone businesses out there...what does that say?

And yet I'll ask one more time: why don't any businesses try increasing their prices and paying their workers fairly? I've literally never heard of a single restaurant doing this.

Meme Think GIF

Rhetorical question that I'm pointing out because of it's implications. Obviously they don't do it because the industry is broken which for some reason isn't being acknowledged. The fact that restaurants get tax-free charity contributions from customers and save on labor costs, while sourcing cheap processed Sysco foods cooked in seed oils, and still barely survive tells me it's a worthless industry.

Last edited:
Rhetorical question that I'm pointing out because of it's implications. Obviously they don't do it because the industry is broken which for some reason isn't being acknowledged. The fact that restaurants get tax-free charity contributions from customers to save costs on labor while producing mediocre Sysco food cooked in seed oils and still barely survive tells me it's a worthless industry, how can you even argue this?
Why do you keep calling it charity?

It's not charity. Again...only you are projecting a guilt element on this.

It's a payment directly to the sever for their work and service.

The business offers them an opportunity to work, and get tips for their performance.

It's literally like salesman making commission sales.

You're not arguing for an overhaul of car sales industry.

You're just jaded and an unrealistic view of the industry.

If the restaurant paid that percentage then majority would not be able to stay afloat or majority would be raising prices by 15 percent.

Take your pick.

People who know me from RVF, know that I live frugally. I don't like eating out in restaurants and tipping is a large part of that, but so is the whole restaurant experience. I'm a peasant and am content to be one, so having a waiter putting on a performance for me in order that I might tip him or her, is like being treated as a being a different class than what I am. That makes me feel uncomfortable, as does a bill at the end of the meal that would pay for a weeks worth of groceries. So to have to pay more for the conveyance of the overpriced grub I just ate doesn't sit well with my penny saving ethos. That's my position.

Now I do eat out occasionally, usually in what the English call a cafe, colloquially known as "a caff". In such establishments one can taste the delights of a full English breakfast and a mug of tea, brought to my table with a cheerya, "ear yer go darlin" and no expectation of a reward after laying the plate down.

In London some years ago the waiter salary was just tips. Freelance gigs.

I doubt this is accurate.
Minimum wage in the UK is legally binding to all employeed staff, even those who get tips.
It's been like that for a long time.

I doubt this is accurate.
Minimum wage in the UK is legally binding to all employeed staff, even those who get tips.
It's been like that for a long time.
100% accurate. It was under the table. He would go there and wait for one day or two. To make extra bucks. Not regular job. Dude was in college. But he met all types of people while there.

This is called working ILLEGALLY.
Is that so? Would never guessed it. Of course it was illegal. A lot of low paying jobs are illegal. Also the entry barriers are low. The point is sometimes tipping is all the money they receive. But actually he didn´t complain. It was mostly europeans from other countries working like this (french italians, spanish). Gap years etc. But It was good money. He used to tell by nationality who would tip good or bad. And I doubt it doesn´t happen today also. Ask a waiter. They like to talk about stuff. Last time I was in London. The subject in restaurants was the energy cost. The energy bill had quadrupled. One waiter told me restaurants were going down. But on weekends ask if there´s fine dining restaurants which only pay tips to waiters. Maybe this will surprise you.

Last edited:
Why do you keep calling it charity?

It's not charity. Again...only you are projecting a guilt element on this.

It's a payment directly to the sever for their work and service.

The business offers them an opportunity to work, and get tips for their performance.

It's literally like salesman making commission sales.

You're not arguing for an overhaul of car sales industry.

You're just jaded and an unrealistic view of the industry.

If the restaurant paid that percentage then majority would not be able to stay afloat or majority would be raising prices by 15 percent.

Take your pick.
I actually despise the car sales industry too, because it prevents car manufacturers directly selling to customers, requiring a middleman in the form of obnoxious car dealerships, which increases costs for the consumers well beyond the MSRP.

Commission is different though. An analogy would be going to a dealership and buying a car, only to find out 20% of the total cost was removed by saving on the labor costs/overhead or whatever else, only to then hounded to donate some money to the their staff to help them make a living. It's not even about the money at that point, because the net result might be the same, but the audacity and deception of it is what bothers me. In this sense, it's in the same ballpark as companies like ticketmaster that add on tons of BS like "admin fees" or "convenience fees" on the final checkout screen - if these were included in the initial price that would be fine, but to tack them all on at the end is deceptive. Another example is "shrinkflation", rather than simply increasing their prices, they shrink the size of their packages in a way that's not noticeable. To me, this is all the same level of deception. If a restaurant cannot increases it's prices to pay its workers fairly, then they deserve to fail, and that's really my final point.

If I was dictator for a day, I'd force this system to change by requiring wait staff to get paid x amount. The restaurants that end up failing will eventually get replaced by more functional restaurants, in effect free market natural selection.

Either way, you have brought up some interesting points and I will consider them next time I eat out. And I should say at this point it's not that I never tip, rather it's not something I automatically do, especially if it was poor service. I certainly won't ever tip baristas though. The simplest solution for me, however, is to continue to boycott the restaurant industry as a whole, including takeout.

Last edited:
I actually despise the car sales industry too, because it prevents car manufacturers directly selling to customers, requiring a middleman in the form of obnoxious car dealerships, which increases costs for the consumers well beyond the MSRP.

Commission is different though. An analogy would be going to a dealership and buying a car, only to find out 20% of the total cost was removed by saving on the labor costs/overhead or whatever else, only to then hounded to donate some money to the their staff to help them make a living. It's not even about the money at that point, because the net result might be the same, but the audacity and deception of it is what bothers me. In this sense, it's in the same ballpark as companies like ticketmaster that add on tons of BS like "admin fees" or "convenience fees" on the final checkout screen - if these were included in the initial price that would be fine, but to tack them all on at the end is deceptive. Another example is "shrinkflation", rather than simply increasing their prices, they shrink the size of their packages in a way that's not noticeable. To me, this is all the same level of deception. If a restaurant cannot increases it's prices to pay its workers fairly, then they deserve to fail, and that's really my final point.

If I was dictator for a day, I'd force this system to change by requiring wait staff to get paid x amount. The restaurants that end up failing will eventually get replaced by more functional restaurants, in effect free market natural selection.

Either way, you have brought up some interesting points and I will consider them next time I eat out. And I should say at this point it's not that I never tip, rather it's not something I automatically do, especially if it was poor service. I certainly won't ever tip baristas though. The simplest solution for me, however, is to continue to boycott the restaurant industry as a whole, including takeout.
FYI....You CAN buy a car directly from a seller with out the salesman.

Again, I don't think anyone feels guilty about tipping but you. It's part of the process and is a cost of doing business.

The model you're advocating would just further ensure that prices go up and thus drive business down. Big companies will adapt to this regulation. Mom and pops would not.

So if you like ONLY having a chillies/shitty chain then go ahead with it. But if you want a mom and pop restaurant that creates jobs for the community, the current model is the way to go based on proven results.

As I stated, If a waiter is rude... totally different story.

I don't mind tipping.
I *do* mind tipping when it's required, which it really is in the USA. I tip 20%+ any American place with waiters, unless the service wasn't good, and then I tip them 15%, unless they are horrible enough to earn nothing. Because the waiter is being paid $2 an hour. The tip is part of his salary. It's stupid, but that's how it works in good ole USA.

I actually *like* tipping culture when it is optional. In most other countries the staff is either paid a normal wage or there is a service fee added to the bill for the wait staff. A small number of countries have an optional 10% tip.

I *DO* like that tipping culture where if I want to leave an extra 10% for a job well done, I can. I DONT like forking out money to pay an employee's wage and pretend that it's an optional "tip".

As for restaurants, with few exceptions, they are serving you low quality Sysco food, made to taste good with lots of butter and/or salt. Read Anthony Bourdain's expose on this. Chefs also famously love chicken, because it is mostly tasteless and just adopts the flavor of whatever sauce they put on it (usually loads of butter). Of course they are using industrial mass produced bulk butter, not the organic high fat European stuff I buy.

I've had mildly upset stomachs the next day after $40 dinners at nice restaurants. I *NEVER* get an upset stomach cooking at home.

I used to enjoy eating out. Now the only places I really want to eat out are places where it is impractical for me to reproduce the meal: that's usually ethnic foods (the Indian buffet is not something I could affordably recreate), sushi, or believe it or not, a really good salad. Sometimes a sandwich place because I rarely eat bread so it's not practical for me to purchase a loaf of bread and make sandwiches at home.

Of course, I still socially eat meals out because it's one of the most common ways of socializing and I'd rather pay for an overpriced meal than down $8 beers that cost a dollar in a bar with buddies.

But you can buy premium organic ingredients and still eat for less than the cost of a restaurant and have a much better experience. I made homemade eggplant parmigiana the other day and it blew me away how good it was. WAY better than any version I'd had before. Even a nice Italian restaurant is probably going to use bulk cheese and canned tomatoes and pre-made sauce. Pizza is a huge money maker. Mostly bread and some cheese with a very small amount of "topping" that probably costs them $3 a pie. This is why even fancy restaurants serve pizzas. Huge markups.

The biggest markup is on drinks (even nonalcoholic) and desserts.

American tipping culture is stupid and needs to die, but until it does, a tip for table service is not optional.

Question for those in the restaurant biz: Is it rude to not tip for pickup orders? Isn't the staff in kitchen and at pay counter paid a normal wage?

I *do* mind tipping when it's required, which it really is in the USA. I tip 20%+ any American place with waiters, unless the service wasn't good, and then I tip them 15%, unless they are horrible enough to earn nothing. Because the waiter is being paid $2 an hour. The tip is part of his salary. It's stupid, but that's how it works in good ole USA.

I actually *like* tipping culture when it is optional. In most other countries the staff is either paid a normal wage or there is a service fee added to the bill for the wait staff. A small number of countries have an optional 10% tip.

I *DO* like that tipping culture where if I want to leave an extra 10% for a job well done, I can. I DONT like forking out money to pay an employee's wage and pretend that it's an optional "tip".

As for restaurants, with few exceptions, they are serving you low quality Sysco food, made to taste good with lots of butter and/or salt. Read Anthony Bourdain's expose on this. Chefs also famously love chicken, because it is mostly tasteless and just adopts the flavor of whatever sauce they put on it (usually loads of butter). Of course they are using industrial mass produced bulk butter, not the organic high fat European stuff I buy.

I've had mildly upset stomachs the next day after $40 dinners at nice restaurants. I *NEVER* get an upset stomach cooking at home.

I used to enjoy eating out. Now the only places I really want to eat out are places where it is impractical for me to reproduce the meal: that's usually ethnic foods (the Indian buffet is not something I could affordably recreate), sushi, or believe it or not, a really good salad. Sometimes a sandwich place because I rarely eat bread so it's not practical for me to purchase a loaf of bread and make sandwiches at home.

Of course, I still socially eat meals out because it's one of the most common ways of socializing and I'd rather pay for an overpriced meal than down $8 beers that cost a dollar in a bar with buddies.

But you can buy premium organic ingredients and still eat for less than the cost of a restaurant and have a much better experience. I made homemade eggplant parmigiana the other day and it blew me away how good it was. WAY better than any version I'd had before. Even a nice Italian restaurant is probably going to use bulk cheese and canned tomatoes and pre-made sauce. Pizza is a huge money maker. Mostly bread and some cheese with a very small amount of "topping" that probably costs them $3 a pie. This is why even fancy restaurants serve pizzas. Huge markups.

The biggest markup is on drinks (even nonalcoholic) and desserts.

American tipping culture is stupid and needs to die, but until it does, a tip for table service is not optional.

Question for those in the restaurant biz: Is it rude to not tip for pickup orders? Isn't the staff in kitchen and at pay counter paid a normal wage?
As far as I see it...picking up your own food negates the tip unless you really like the interaction ect...and is different than tipping wait staff.... Kitchen staff is usually paid per hour. I don't usually tip on pick up orders unless I particularly like the restaurant/staff ECT.

I went to the restaurant I mentioned in the OP again and it was pretty alright actually! One of the managers went to ask if the food was of the restaurant standard, cool guy.

My dad tips as well, even though we don't have tipping culture here. Technically there is the 10%, which is what he gave.

Back