Rare Orthodox Books

Likewise, if an Orthodox book is no longer in print, unaffordable or not found on the aftermarket, yet there is a free digital version out there, I question how "immoral" it is to download it. If no other means are available, does the spreading of the Christian faith not trump copyright laws? I don't have an answer, but I think the question is a valid one.

It's most likely a 99.9% chance an Orthodox put that book online for free, to make it more accessible. It's a blessing that we have it, not a sin. In fact it may be a sin NOT to read it, given how such wisdom was made available to all.

If the only version of something is free or online, then that's the version God gave us to have. No need to overthink this.

So, in essence, YT...one of the most prolific anti-free-speech outlets out there, is letting people upload their own recitations of books? Seems to be a grey area. Not being combative here, just discussing.

Anyone can read from a book and distribute it as far as they want, as long as they don't make money from it. This is called "fair use" laws.

Remember, all copyright laws are civil laws, not criminal laws. The penalties are monetary, not jail time. Therefore if you don't make any money for it, how can you be sued for damages?

It's most likely a 99.9% chance an Orthodox put that book online for free, to make it more accessible. It's a blessing that we have it, not a sin. In fact it may be a sin NOT to read it, given how such wisdom was made available to all.

If the only version of something is free or online, then that's the version God gave us to have. No need to overthink this.

Anyone can read from a book and distribute it as far as they want, as long as they don't make money from it. This is called "fair use" laws.

Remember, all copyright laws are civil laws, not criminal laws. The penalties are monetary, not jail time. Therefore if you don't make any money for it, how can you be sued for damages?
I am not a lawyer, so thanks for clarifying this for me.

You can find some FREE Orthodox books on this link https://annas-archive.org/ some Seraphim Rose books are on here too, I read them on my phone on an app called Book Reader, it has a green alien with a red book on the app icon, this app is my favorite and it also allows you to read on dark mode and you can also zoom in and out, it also has the option of playing the book on audio (a cheap way of turning it into an audio book). I would still like to buy all the books in paper back as a thank you to the authors and printing presses and store it on my bookshelf to one day pass it onto my kids when I die but thats a long term goal and its quite expensive to do that right now.

Back