Raising Kids in the Modern World

TheLearningWife

Orthodox
Heritage
Woman
Health, education, life skills, philosophies, etc.

Best thing we did recently was take an old section of boat rope, throw it across a tree branch, and tie the ends to another cut branch. Free swing. I’m designing a natural playground area as part of meeting our 1000 hours outside goal. Highly recommend.

If you have a child with a reactionary character, whatever you want to say to him, say to God first. Kneel before God, and through the grace of God, our words will be conveyed to your child.... Another child may listen to what you say, but though he hears he easily forgets. Therefore, you will kneel and ask for God's grace again, so that our fatherly words will fall upon good soil and bear fruit... Don't pressure your children. Whatever you want to say to them, say it with your prayers. Children don't listen with their ears. They will only listen to what we want to tell them when divine grace appears and enlightens them. When you want to say something to your child, say it to the Panaghia instead and she will do all the work. Your prayer will become a spiritual hug, which embraces your children and captivates them.

-Elder Porphyrios of Athens

Prayers for TheLearningWife's child's heart condition. I pray for healing and wisdom for all involved.

This may be slightly off topic, but maybe not.
I think it's very on topic. When our children suffer, we suffer double because we love them so much. It's challenging and strengthening to our faith. "Into your hands, Lord, we commend ourselves" is easy to say for ourselves... It really takes true belief and faith to say, "Let *Your* will be done," when it comes to our own children. It is an extreme humbling, a true submission our God Almighty.

Last edited:
I think it's very on topic. When our children suffer, we suffer double because we love them so much. It's challenging and strengthening to our faith. "Into your hands, Lord, we commend ourselves" is easy to say for ourselves... It really takes true belief and faith to say, "Let *Your* will be done," when it comes to our own children. It is an extreme humbling, a true submission our God Almighty.
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure how to approach the topic. I like how you put it.

I found this podcast as she did an interview with EMJ :
...however it's mainly about home schooling which for some parts of the world is probably better.
Nice English accent. This is her home page :

Back