• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Orthodox News

I've learned from my Bishop that large numbers of catechumens are being baptized this Pascha all over America. My parish has 4 catechumens, I know another with 8, another with 2 or 3, pretty much every one in my area has catechumens. In Texas, I've heard of one parish with 70 baptisms being performed this Pascha!

Pretty sure the Antiochian/OCA Churches are the only Churches growing in America, and with solid improvement year over year. This has been a trend since COVID and has only been accelerating so far. Lots of speculation as to why (but take it to another thread if you want to discuss).
We are definitely growing with converts, especially in Southern and Western states. Even "ethnic" parishes, especially ROCOR and Serbian, are growing in those regions.

But large numbers of cradle Orthodox are apostatizing in the Orthodox heartland of the Northeast and Great Lakes region. Hopefully, the incomers will more than compensate for those leaving the Church.

I've learned from my Bishop that large numbers of catechumens are being baptized this Pascha all over America. My parish has 4 catechumens, I know another with 8, another with 2 or 3, pretty much every one in my area has catechumens. In Texas, I've heard of one parish with 70 baptisms being performed this Pascha!

Pretty sure the Antiochian/OCA Churches are the only Churches growing in America, and with solid improvement year over year. This has been a trend since COVID and has only been accelerating so far. Lots of speculation as to why (but take it to another thread if you want to discuss).
ROCOR is also growing and all of that growth is coming from converts. In fact I expect converts to make up the majority of ROCOR members relatively soon. The seminarians at Jordanville are still more than 50% cradle but not by much of a margin. Many rural parishes or missions are entirely made up of converts from what I can see. I'm not sure I'd regard ROCOR as ethnic at this point. For comparison I doubt the Serbian seminary at Libertyville has many non-cradle seminarians, if any. There are some missionary minded or convert dominated parishes to be found in the Serbian jurisdiction (for example the parish of Deacon Ananias in Montana or Father Turbo in Kansas City) but they are not that numerous.

Last edited:
ROCOR is also growing and all of that growth is coming from converts. In fact I expect converts to make up the majority of ROCOR members relatively soon. The seminarians at Jordanville are still more than 50% cradle but not by much of a margin. Many rural parishes or missions are entirely made up of converts from what I can see. I'm not sure I'd regard ROCOR as ethnic at this point. For comparison I doubt the Serbian seminary at Libertyville has many non-cradle seminarians, if any. There are some missionary minded or convert dominated parishes to be found in the Serbian jurisdiction (for example the parish of Deacon Ananias in Montana or Father Turbo in Kansas City) but they are not that numerous.
In mentioning the seminaries, has anybody heard anything new regarding the strength of our seminaries these days? I too have seen at several different parishes the fact that the Church is growing with new converts, but is that yet leading to a growth in the number of seminarians? Because a couple years ago I had a few discussions with some priests regarding what was called a critical shortage of clergy, and when I looked into it at the time, it seemed we were only graduating maybe a grand total of 50-60 seminarians a year for the entire USA.

Do GOARCH remove all the "countersemitic" stuff from their church services? Because there is quite a lot of stuff in them that Jews would find objectionable.

Orthodox Christianity is necessarily and rightly against those who rejected their own Messiah, put Him to death, and then continued to reject Him even when He rose from the tomb, and then doubled down on their hatred for Him with their Talmudic nonsense.

I wanted to respond to this point a while ago, but I could not think of any instances. I had to wait until the Holy Week services to respond. I have been learning to chant under the instruction of a wonderful mentor. He has had me help at the chant stand. This past Holy Thursday evening service (The Reading of the Twelve Gospels) did not hold back on pointing out Israel’s role in the betrayal and crucifixion of Christ.

The 13th Antiphon:
The assembly of the Judeans demanded of Pilate that You, O Lord, be crucified; and finding no cause against You, they released the prisoner, Barabbas, and condemned You, the Righteous One, incurring for themselves the accusation of blood-guiltiness. Render unto them, O Lord, according to their works; for they devised vain things against You.

The Beatitudes 4th Tone:
The law-transgressors verily did buy the Ordainer of the law from a Disciple. And they brought Him before Pilate as a law-breaker, shouting “Crucify the One, who gave them manna in the wilderness!”
…The assembly of the Judeans, that lawless swarm of God-slayers, shouted madly to Pilate saying, crucify Christ the innocent, and asking that Barabbas rather be released….

The Heirmos:
…A wicked, worthless company of knavish, abominable, and God-slaying came upon You, O Christ, and dragged You away, as an evil-doer, the Creator of all, Whom we magnify.

There is another hymn that refers to the curse that’s in the Hebrew race, but I can’t find it. And of course, the Gospel readings did not hold back on placing blame on the Jews.

All of this will be in violation of the countersemitism law if it passes.

I wanted to respond to this point a while ago, but I could not think of any instances. I had to wait until the Holy Week services to respond. I have been learning to chant under the instruction of a wonderful mentor. He has had me help at the chant stand. This past Holy Thursday evening service (The Reading of the Twelve Gospels) did not hold back on pointing out Israel’s role in the betrayal and crucifixion of Christ.

The 13th Antiphon:
The assembly of the Judeans demanded of Pilate that You, O Lord, be crucified; and finding no cause against You, they released the prisoner, Barabbas, and condemned You, the Righteous One, incurring for themselves the accusation of blood-guiltiness. Render unto them, O Lord, according to their works; for they devised vain things against You.

The Beatitudes 4th Tone:
The law-transgressors verily did buy the Ordainer of the law from a Disciple. And they brought Him before Pilate as a law-breaker, shouting “Crucify the One, who gave them manna in the wilderness!”
…The assembly of the Judeans, that lawless swarm of God-slayers, shouted madly to Pilate saying, crucify Christ the innocent, and asking that Barabbas rather be released….

The Heirmos:
…A wicked, worthless company of knavish, abominable, and God-slaying came upon You, O Christ, and dragged You away, as an evil-doer, the Creator of all, Whom we magnify.

There is another hymn that refers to the curse that’s in the Hebrew race, but I can’t find it. And of course, the Gospel readings did not hold back on placing blame on the Jews.

All of this will be in violation of the countersemitism law if it passes.
Thanks for the response and for the examples to go along with my point.

The problem is we have done away with Christianity as the basis for our society. Everything now comes from a basis of materialism. The hymnography is the truth. And the truth is often harsh. However these days our laws are based on everyone playing together nicely in the nihilist, materialist sandbox. Truth doesn't mean anything in our society anymore.

This is a great vid about the near exponential increase in converts to Orthodoxy in the past few years, especially last year:

Excellent and captivating the whole way through, a main point talks about how the lockdowns forced people to choose a new route through life and many who were thinking about Orthodoxy took the plunge and started to attend services. Fr. Andrew also talks about how the older members will need to adjust for the newer members, growing pains, etc.

This is a great vid about the near exponential increase in converts to Orthodoxy in the past few years, especially last year:

Excellent and captivating the whole way through, a main point talks about how the lockdowns forced people to choose a new route through life and many who were thinking about Orthodoxy took the plunge and started to attend services. Fr. Andrew also talks about how the older members will need to adjust for the newer members, growing pains, etc.

Good to see someone not being a Karen about new converts.

I've heard a lot of whining in the past that these new converts are too rigorous, that their political views are uncomfortable etc. There may be an element of legitimacy to those qualms, but not first and foremost rejoicing in swathes of people coming to church reeks of possessiveness, gate keeping, and frankly a lack of charity.

No one, especially not in this day and age, converts to Orthodoxy with zero baggage. The existing members of the church are there to help them integrate. Being suspicious and disgruntled by them only shows how there is also work to be done on the not so new Orthodox too.

I am glad Fr. Andrew did not take this angle. Good to hear.

Female ordained deacon in African Church. Unlike previous female deacons ordained in Orthodox history, who were either nuns or celibate woman, this one is married. No idea why this one was ordained other than a "lack of clergy," or something.

AA1o7cdQ-jpg.webp

Based Metropolitian of Antioch in America openly questions and raises alarm of female deconess:

By His Eminence Metropolitan Saba (Isper)

During Holy Week, ecclesiastical media reported news of the ordination of a liturgical deaconess in one of the churches in Zimbabwe, Africa, affiliated with the Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria. I won’t delve into the subject of ordaining a deaconess. That’s a matter I’ll leave to theologians and synods, for now. In this article, I’ll simply raise some questions stemming from this event. Such an event requires Orthodox consensus, as any ecclesiastical action outside Orthodox consensus and unanimity poses a danger and leads to undesirable consequences. How much more so a matter as sensitive as this, especially at this time, would be considered a step towards the ordination of women to the priesthood.

There is no doubt that a deep and faithful study of the Christian heritage, especially the Orthodox one, and the pastoral needs required by the Church in today’s world, is urgently needed for this topic. However, resorting to individual decisions remains more dangerous than any step its proponents might perceive as beneficial to the Church. Theological studies require scientific honesty and objectivity, not manipulation of information to serve personal agendas. Here, the role of the pure saints, not just scholars and researchers, is highlighted, lest we negate what we have been saying for centuries, that theology is the experience of God’s presence, not just rational or philosophical thinking.

My deliberations stem from a concern for Orthodox unity, which I see in danger due to the absence of dialogue among the churches and the spread of individualism within them, to the point where the fear of following the footsteps of Protestant-type individualism is imminent. May God protect us from replacing Orthodox unity with an Orthodox union.

The existence of deaconesses in the early Church needs further clarification. Our historical information does not confirm that all churches witnessed the service of deaconesses, but rather some, especially large churches and in major cities. Moreover, the distinction between the service of deaconesses and the service of widows also needs further exploration. Our available information indicates that the service of deaconesses included several aspects, such as guarding and overseeing the women’s section in the church; according to the social custom in the past, women and men each stood in designated areas of the nave. Also, deaconesses assisted women in baptisms, such as anointing their bodies with oil. Furthermore, deaconesses may have been responsible for teaching women, but not all scholars agree on this. In the fourth service, based on the social tradition of the past, deaconesses accompanied women when they needed to meet with the bishop, as it was forbidden for a bishop to meet with a woman alone.

There came a time when this ministry fell into disuse in the Church. We do not know the exact reasons for its disappearance. Don’t we need studies to show the reasons why? Don’t we need to clarify its fields of service before adopting it in our churches? Is its acceptance consistent with Orthodox tradition and understanding of the ordained priesthood? Can it be limited to educational service and service of love in all its forms? What are the boundaries between this ministry and the ministry of the faithful (laity)? What are the motives behind giving it a liturgical role? Why is this role necessary?

If this type of service is authentic, should we demand it, and does the Church really need it? To what extent do we demand it as influenced by humanistic and feminist movements? What is motivating the Church to activate its pastoral service: theological thought or worldly thought? How does the Church respond to the faith, moral, and humanitarian challenges facing today’s societies? On what basis does the Church build its pastoral programs, social or theological?

Moreso, what is the effect of accepting deaconesses and female priests in non-Orthodox churches that have adopted this phenomenon? Has this acceptance increased their spiritual and numerical growth, or the opposite? Is accepting deaconesses a first step towards accepting priestesses? What would be the effect of having male and female priests on the spiritual and theological concept of the priesthood? To what extent does this contribute to the secularization or degeneration of the priesthood and considering it a religious function? What is the psychological effect of having both sexes around the Holy Table?

Where will the Orthodox Church end up if each church continues to adopt what it deems appropriate without consulting and agreeing among all Orthodox churches? Where is the collective spirit that distinguishes Orthodoxy? What about the unity of the Faith? And what will unite Orthodox Churches if practices without unanimous agreement begin to appear here and there?

Do those who applaud the emergence of deaconesses think about the future of Orthodox unity? How do we know if we are allowing the Holy Spirit to work and create new talents? How do we know if we are limiting It within the framework of our limited thinking? Are we submitting It to our personal desires and visions?

I won’t add any more questions here, although they would be necessary if we truly want to be honest, faithful, and pure in every work we do in the Church. The pain from what is happening stifles me.

I hope that some of these questions encourage a few sincere, honest, and humble persons to pause before proceeding with individualism that increases divisions and creates new schisms.

The chutzpah of this guy! Pray for the Greek people my friends, things are not going well there.

I was just listening to one of Fr. Kosmas's talks from the late 2000s yesterday. He said Orthodoxy was much healthier in Greece than in Russia and the eastern bloc because the Greek people had retained a lot more faith and practice through the years. I wonder now, less than 20 years later, if he would even think of reaching the same conclusion today.

Today a terrorist attack in the Muslim Dagestan republic of Russia killed an Orthodox priest who confronted the terrorists to keep them out of his parish during Liturgy.
It seems this was a large coordinated Islamic militant operation, because they attacked not only the church but also police stations and a synagogue, and as of this exact moment, it seems fighting is still ongoing between Russian forces and militant positions in the city. However, at the moment it appears that specifically at the Orthodox church, the rest of the parish was saved, largely by the sacrifice of their priest who gave his life.

I think this means the Church has gained a holy martyr today. In a case like this, I don't know, do martyrs have to get canonized and glorified by the Church, or do we just automatically know that they are saints?

Pray for Orthodox Russia. They are under incredible pressure from multiple sides. Amidst the frantic efforts by the West to destroy them, they also have the entire Muslim world bordering them to the south, and have had to fight the Muslims all throughout their history, up to the present day.

One wonders the extent to which Western pressure against Russia and Islamic militancy against Russia might be coordinated. I think burning a synagogue in this particular case indicates that this was not coordinated, but we know in some other cases, like with many of the Islamic militant groups in Syria in the 2010s, it actually was largely coordinated with the West.

In other Orthodox news, the Patriarchal election in Bulgaria is approaching, and according to orthochristian.com, none of the final three candidates for the Patriarchate are in the pro-Constantinople/Ukrainian Schism camp.
One of the three candidates, Metropolitan Daniel, is actually familiar to me as he served in the Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese of the USA/Canada during the 2010s. I don't know this man, but just from seeing him in church in America a couple times, I feel strongly that he would be excellent for the Church. Occasionally you meet a man whose strength of Orthodoxy is so palpable that it leaves a lasting impression, and that is my view of Metropolitan Daniel of the Bulgarian Church.

Good to see someone not being a Karen about new converts.

I've heard a lot of whining in the past that these new converts are too rigorous, that their political views are uncomfortable etc. There may be an element of legitimacy to those qualms, but not first and foremost rejoicing in swathes of people coming to church reeks of possessiveness, gate keeping, and frankly a lack of charity.

No one, especially not in this day and age, converts to Orthodoxy with zero baggage. The existing members of the church are there to help them integrate. Being suspicious and disgruntled by them only shows how there is also work to be done on the not so new Orthodox too.

I am glad Fr. Andrew did not take this angle. Good to hear.
Yes , I am a new American convert, I go to a ROCOR church, in Asia, and I am the only person that is not a local or Russian. The hostility is palpable, I just do the best I can, it's a real struggle

Back