• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Orthodox Iconography

Iacobus

Orthodox
Heritage
Let's share icons that are beautiful/meaningful to us.

Screenshot_2023-03-06_at_11.59.18_AM__25408.1678122042.png

ChristWalksOnWaterSmall__51201.1642618910.jpg

prodigal son.jpg

That is a masterful rendition of this style. Is this from a specific source? I'd be interested in acquiring one.
Yes, that one is really balanced and nice. It has a sort of calm beauty that stands out compared to a lot of the others, which are also nice but not quite as picturesque, I'd say. I searched "christ icon face" on image searches and also christ pantocrator. A similar, hazier one is also there which has the grainier Rublev type style that I also like.

Yes, that one is really balanced and nice. It has a sort of calm beauty that stands out compared to a lot of the others, which are also nice but not quite as picturesque, I'd say. I searched "christ icon face" on image searches and also christ pantocrator. A similar, hazier one is also there which has the grainier Rublev type style that I also like.
I use the one you shared in my prayer corner and I also have a small wooden one of the same icon that's from Greece. I love this one.

xjhbib3kb6s51.jpg

Some people note the interesting symbolism of Judas leaving behind his halo on the way to betray Christ. Another interesting thing about this icon. Judas is painted in profile, which is very rarely done. In icons of Saints usually you can see both eyes so that when we look at them we can make eye contact. However traditionally, demons, Satan, and other evil characters are depicted in profile. This is so that you cannot make eye contact with them.

You can see it in icons of the nativity too. Where Joseph is being tempted by Satan:

nativity_poss._moscow_school_16th_c._hermitage.jpg

Joseph is depicted in the bottom left, and the figure with the staff is Satan tempting him. Notice he is also depicted in profile. This is so we do not get the evil eye from them!

Of course as with many things, you will find exceptions to this, but it is a fascinating example of how well thought out the symbolism is in iconography

Looks like the Battle of Kosovo from the title at the top. We’ll need a good Serb to educate us on the significance thereof.
It's indeed the Battle of Kosovo, 1389. The Serbian side communed before battle knowing most would be martyred by the Ottomans. Centuries of subjugation were to follow. In the cultural memory the battle represents the choosing of the eternal over the temporal, the voluntary cross to the point of martyrdom rather than compromise with the world and untruth.

Back