• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Orthodox books you have read or currently reading, reviews.

Does anyone have a recommendation for best book(s) on the Great Schism? I've read the first two books by John Strickland on Church history and they were quite good but also a bit focused on his pet theses rather than aiming to be comprehensive.
I heard about the book Two Paths it apparently is very good Brother Augustine recommended it and Jay Dyer also lists it in his top Orthodox books to read I think they touch on the great schism its about Roman Catholisim and Orthodoxy, have you perhaps already read it?

Did anyone read "Our thoughts determine our lives" recently by the Serbian elder? I recall there being a post on it within the last few months, I think during Lent.

Did anyone read "Our thoughts determine our lives" recently by the Serbian elder? I recall there being a post on it within the last few months, I think during Lent.
Yes, I've read it. I read it in Serbian many years ago never imagining it would be translated into English. Since then I've also read the English translation and its good quality. About a quarter of the book describes Elder Thaddeus's life and then the rest of the book is made up of short anecodotes and citations split into chapters, each of which revolves around a common theme (love, prayer, repentence, family life etc).

Its a great book. The first section is a biography of the elder and the second is a collection of his teachings. Both are golden IMO. The latter section is one of those books where you can open it and read whatever you first cast your eyes upon and it will give you something to chew on for the day.

This book should be at the top of this list, forgot to mention it🙏🏻
images (25).jpeg

My priest lent me this book to read last year part of my catechism, its quite a big book +500 pages its all about mount Athos and the monks who have lived there and their stories, sayings and wisdom for various topics, it really gave me a feel for what the monastic life must be like, at times it was also a heavy book there were some troubling and very incredible stories in it. There was also an interesting 600 year old prophesy in it about the last days but I forgot to take a photo of it before I returned the book, it said the last days would start in the 1900's and how during this century the world would become unrecognizable, that men would be travelling in the sky like birds and under the earth too and being able to speak to each other all over the world in an instant, also mentioned that we wouldnt be able to tell the difference between men and woman because of their shameful way of dressing and their hairstyles.
e0e49109db8ece93.jpg

The church of Saint Raphael book was also a very interesting book, I returned the original book to my priest so the one I shared here is not the exact title, he is one of the newest canonized saints, what was interesting is how he was actually canonized, this saint died centuries ago and how they discovered him in modern times was when construction workers found his body and they smelt a beautiful fragrance, theu couldnt pick up his body and relics and the one guy got fed up and kicked it and went paralized on the spot, this saint had also been appearing to various people in this area even the turks, he revealed where his daughters body was buried and his deacon and how they werw killed, the dates, the details etc and an entire church was built in his honor and he has appeared to many people and healed them, when this saint and his daughter were being tortured by the turks his deacon died just from witnessing the event
images (26).jpeg
download (4).jpeg

I’m currently reading Life After Death According to Orthodox Tradition by Jean Claude Larchet. I recommend it to those who perhaps wish to reignite their zeal and also for those for whom the Tollhouses can stoke fear or despair. It’s an evenhanded explanation which can be a little more palatable than some. It also draws parallels between Church tradition and secular accounts of clinical death or near-death experience and it’s a good accompaniment to Fr Seraphim’s The Soul After Death.

I have also read the lives of Matrona of Moscow, Seraphim of Vyritska and St Alexander of Svir. For those learning Russian, you can download the LitRes app, purchase cheap lives of Saints and export the file to an e-reader or to your computer with ease. The language is often very simple and you can read in tandem with a Russian dictionary

I’m currently reading Life After Death According to Orthodox Tradition by Jean Claude Larchet. I recommend it to those who perhaps wish to reignite their zeal and also for those for whom the Tollhouses can stoke fear or despair. It’s an evenhanded explanation which can be a little more palatable than some. It also draws parallels between Church tradition and secular accounts of clinical death or near-death experience and it’s a good accompaniment to Fr Seraphim’s The Soul After Death.

I have also read the lives of Matrona of Moscow, Seraphim of Vyritska and St Alexander of Svir. For those learning Russian, you can download the LitRes app, purchase cheap lives of Saints and export the file to an e-reader or to your computer with ease. The language is often very simple and you can read in tandem with a Russian dictionary
These after death accounts are so important especially to those who think there isnt life after death, there is so much evidence that life after death is a reality, I would like to read this book you recommending too.

Does anyone have a recommendation for best book(s) on the Great Schism? I've read the first two books by John Strickland on Church history and they were quite good but also a bit focused on his pet theses rather than aiming to be comprehensive.

Two Paths, for sure.

Also, Orthodox Veneration of Mother of God, previously mentioned in this thread, is a good refutation of modernized Latin theology through this specific topic.

Back