Nominal Catholics...how to reconnect to Catholicism?

Hello Catholic forum users.
I was baptised as a Catholic (when I was still a baby) - but haven't had any further contact with the Church ever since.
I would like to reconnect with the Catholic Church but don't how and where to start.
Any genuine advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

If I were you I'd start by just attending Mass to observe. Give it a couple Sundays and maybe check out a few different parishes to get a feel for it. From there if you decide that you truly want to commit then meet with the priest to discuss it. If you were baptized only and had no further sacramental preparation growing up then he would probably recommend that you enroll in RCIA which is a series of classes to prepare an adult to enter the church. Even if you have done further sacramental preparation growing up it would still be a good refresher.

As far as how to find a good parish I'd recommend looking into a Traditional Latin parish if available, although that is not absolutely necessary, nor is it always available depending on your location.

One thing that really helped me when I first came back to the faith was listening to preaching on YouTube. Sensus Fidelium is a good channel with tons of sermons from very orthodox priests.

I hope and pray that you find your way. Be sure to let us know how it goes. Oh, and tomorrow is Sunday, there's no better time to start than now!

I was in the same position as you a little over 3 years ago. I simply started attending mass while trying to learn more about the faith through books and podcasts.
So simply, start going to Mass. You won't be able to take communion because you need to be confirmed in the Church first. I would attend Mass every Sunday for a few months, try a few parishes.
If your heart is in it, you can then begin RCIA classes. You could probably be confirmed in the Church by next Easter - or Easter 2025 if you want to take your time and make sure you are ready.

As a cradle Catholic, I wish to reiterate what was mentioned above. I highly recommend seeking out a Catholic parish in the traditional (extraordinary / Tridentine) Latin Rite. This is the best possible place to go through the RCIA program, and to really know and appreciate the faith. It took me almost five decades to get here, but doing so is what brought me so close to our Lord that it dissolved all of my doubts, and opened up a world of worship and education in the faith that felt, heretofore, entirely missing. If now is your starting point, this is the ideal place to start.

You do not need to know any Latin. Maybe, ever. Though you will likely pick up quite a bit. Why that is the case is probably worth an entirely new thread.

Definitely attend RCIA. Most students coming out of RCIA have a deeper understanging of the faith than lifelong practicing Catholics. While you're doing the course, unlike most of your fellow students, as a baptised Catholic, you'll be able to take part in the sacrements.

Definitely attend RCIA. Most students coming out of RCIA have a deeper understanging of the faith than lifelong practicing Catholics. While you're doing the course, unlike most of your fellow students, as a baptised Catholic, you'll be able to take part in the sacrements.
That is incorrect. Baptism alone is not sufficient for the reception of the Sacrament of Communion. It is also important to have a good understanding of Penance, or it is very unlikely that you will make a valid confession. Proper catechesis is important. It is probably where our church today has the greatest challenge ahead of it.

Last edited:
That is incorrect. Baptism alone is not sufficient for the reception of the Sacrament of Communion.
Thank you for correcting me. I'm still a baby in the faith. Perhaps I should have said baptism and confirmation were necessary to receive the other sacrements. And to be in a state of grace through confession. Is this correct? Would a baptised and confirmed Catholic, who has not practiced for life, and who has receieved the sacrement of confession be able to take part in the sacrement of Communion?

What is missing, primarily, from your post is the degree to which it is necessary to receive the Eucharist worthily. It means understanding the nature of the Eucharist as Catholics (which is very different from most other Christian religions), but also to do so free of any mortal sin through reconciliation, as well as any attachment thereto. In all seriousness, whether or not you can or should receive our Lord in the Eucharist is something to you should consider and pray hard upon, right up to that very moment, in full consideration of the present state of your soul.

A reflection on this is Corinthians 11:27 (Knox translation below)

27 And therefore, if anyone eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily, he will be held to account for the Lord’s body and blood.
28 A man must examine himself first, and then eat of that bread and drink of that cup;
29 he is eating and drinking damnation to himself if he eats and drinks unworthily, not recognizing the Lord’s body for what it is.

Last edited:
I endorse what others have written regarding attending a course. My way back to the Roman Catholic Church didn't afford me the chance to take part in catechesis unfortunately, as I was in a spiritual crisis that I could barely cope with. But I can see clearly that such a course would have made for a more stable foundation on which to build my faith.

My reentry happened in 2021. As a cradle Catholic who left the RCC in my teens and led a sinful and wayward life in the interim. Over the years I've explored many different New Age and Eastern mystical practices, some quite extreme and experientially demonic. Consequently my conversation experience, mostly a positive experience, quickly turned into a spiritual battle with demonic forces. This has been a gruelling and long battle that is ongoing. God knows what He's doing and this battle has pushed me to go above and beyond what I would've considered reasonable. He is preparing me.

So, coming back into the Church for me began with 2 meetings with my parish priest for the sacrement of reconciliation. I sat and wrote down every mortal sin that was brought to mind, no matter how embarrassing (there were a couple of incidents) or shameful and confessed them to my priest. Since then I make it my duty to pray mornings and evenings, pray the rosary each day and receive the Holy Eucharist at least x5 a week. I do many activities on top of this, but being in a state of grace is the most important thing for me, so regular confession is a habit for me now.

Personally, I fell away from the Church when I was in college and didn't come back for about 10 years. For me the first step was just to start making it a habit of going to Mass again on Sundays. I am a single guy who lives alone, so I definitely worried it would be weird going back alone. But after going back a few times, it was obvious that nobody else in the pews cared very much or gave me strange looks or anything. I'm a pretty introverted person myself so I certainly didn't mind this, but even if you are looking to get involved in the community your first step is going to be to start regularly attending Mass. I will mention that I live in a major city in the US, but since returning to the Church I've been doing a lot of traveling for work in small towns and did not have a much different experience there either. Personally, I just wear a casual collared shirt, pants, and shoes and am probably better dressed than most people there. Would not go in sweatpants or shorts, but in most parishes you'd also probably look out of place in a suit.

For the OP, you say you were baptized. Did you ever receive any other sacraments like communion, reconciliation, or confirmation as a child? If so, when you start going back to Mass you should probably not receive communion until going back to confession. I went to Mass for a few months without receiving communion at first, but then I mustered up the courage to go to confession and then started receiving communion again. If you haven't received the other sacraments you will likely receive them to fully join the Church. I can give you less information from personal experience in that case, but the firs step would still be starting to go to Mass again. You can figure the rest out form there. They may have information in the weekly bulletin about that sort of thing, or you may need to contact someone at the parish.

I would recommend initially not worrying too much about the politics of the church. There's still enough top down control from the Church's hierarchy that I don't think you'll come across Catholic churches waving rainbow flags or other such things. After you make it a habit of going back to Mass, if the church you started going to isn't working for you you can worry about finding another one later. Always be mindful that at this stage you are still early in your spiritual journey, so try to be humble and respect authority so long as there is nothing egregious going on.

Read:
- Daily bible reading (i do this 5 minutes just after waking up before breakfast)
- Augustine
- Blaise Pascal
- Psalms

Watch:
- Bishop Barron
- Sensus Fidelium
- Blue collar Catholic

Listen:
- Letters from home (st paul center)

Do:
- Go to mass at least once weekly
- Organize a bible group, I do Lectio Divina with a group of people (this strongly helped me and the others)
- Contribute to the Parish, clean, restore, organize, make coffee, anything
- Make a cross before meals and say a short prayer (also in Public)
- Go latin mass, but also normal mass (see what is good for you)
- Make Catholic real life friends (essential to keep faith living)
- The sacrament Reconciliation

Pray:
- I'm really bad at personal prayers, so I prefer to join and sing Lauds in person or online and sing the psalms

Have:
- A crucifix in your room
- Holy water

Most important is, let the holy spirit guide you, everyones path is different, you'll notice what attracts you, these are some things I do and like.

I would warn you for the divisive people like Taylor Marshall, and some of the SSPX, while in some way I really value them, they lay bare some weaknesses in the church, it feels more like an attack to me. Creating division instead of unision, Catholicos.

For all the above, i would say as 1,2,3.

1. Go to Mass
2. Become active in Parish (great to meet people)
3. See other god seeking Catholics you like in person (whether a beer, or bible group)

Hello Catholic forum users.
I was baptised as a Catholic (when I was still a baby) - but haven't had any further contact with the Church ever since.
I would like to reconnect with the Catholic Church but don't how and where to start.
Any genuine advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
1.Get in RCIA ASAP. The RCIA in the parish where I was confirmed was a weekly class for 40 weeks! Your parish might be quite different
2.Go to mass as often as you can. Don't receive the sacrament, though. Just cross your arms over your chest when you approach the minister, and receive a blessing.
3.Pray. Learn to pray the Rosary, the Angelus, the Salve Regina, the Our Father, the Glory Be, and the Jesus prayer. If you really want to get intense, there is the liturgy of the hours: https://divineoffice.org Priests and religious pray this daily.
4.Your parish should have materials on giving a good confession. Mine had a brochure called "examination of conscience for adults and teens". Consult this in order to prepare for your first confession.
5.Before I was confirmed, our rector set up a special confession time for RCIA students only, a couple of days before Easter vigil. Alternately, you can schedule a general confession (life confession) by appointment.
6.Typically, confirmation is done at the Easter vigil mass. You should not receive the Eucharist until after confirmation - this is a grave matter.

Back