• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Moving From State To State

Maddox

Protestant
Heritage
I'm looking to switch states and go live somewhere else for a year. However, after checking moving prices here in the US, it's like $3000+ for 2-3 bedrooms worth of things. I can't move this stuff myself, especially my heavy bed set and sofa.

I suppose I could just sell everything off but I don't want to deal with weirdos on the Internet coming to my house. And my furniture is probably too cheap and too old to take to a home consignment store. So I'm really confused about what to do here.

I moved several times when I was younger. I prided myself on my ability to arrive in a new state and make a way for myself. I arrived in my current state with $4000 (inflation adjusted) and built a new life.

However, things are much harder now. Pay is low, and costs are very high. You can't just roll into a state as a total stranger, and find housing and a job to make ends meet in one week as I have done previously.

A friend of mine once rented furniture for a year. He made it sound like it was pretty good idea if you won't need it any longer.

Otherwise you just rent a U-Haul and hire some Mexicans from the local Home Depot parking lot to load the truck for you. I don't know how far you're moving, but you can probably do it under $1,000.

A friend of mine once rented furniture for a year. He made it sound like it was pretty good idea if you won't need it any longer.

Otherwise you just rent a U-Haul and hire some Mexicans from the local Home Depot parking lot to load the truck for you. I don't know how far you're moving, but you can probably do it under $1,000.
My city didn't have Mexicans in the Home Depot parking lot until just recently with all the "undocumented residents" that coming here. I've seen them in other metro areas for years, but they are new here.

Also, we now have several people at every intersection with a squeegee and a bottle of window wash solution coming up and begging. We've had beggars with the cardboard signs forever, but the more aggressive window washers are new, and a lot more intersections are affected.

I think every man in 2024 should own a flat bed trailer and learn how to load it properly and drive with it while towing heavy weight.

Some of us may only need a 6-cylinder vehicle and a one axle trailer, but for those of us going off-grid we'll most likely need a V8 and a double axle trailer with breaks.

You can score good used single axle trailers for under 1K and even if you only have a 6-cylinder sedan you can have a tow hitch installed. This set up is good for moving periodically from state to state and you can effectively tow up to about three-thousand pounds without damaging your vehicle. However, do not use a 6-cylinder sedan for excessive, regular use towing or you will indeed destroy the vehicle.

You can ask a neighbor to help you load your heavier items (bed, couch, etc.) onto the trailer. No need to hire an illegal from Home Depot.

I think every man in 2024 should own a flat bed trailer and learn how to load it properly and drive with it while towing heavy weight.

Some of us may only need a 6-cylinder vehicle and a one axle trailer, but for those of us going off-grid we'll most likely need a V8 and a double axle trailer with breaks.

You can score good used single axle trailers for under 1K and even if you only have a 6-cylinder sedan you can have a tow hitch installed. This set up is good for moving periodically from state to state and you can effectively tow up to about three-thousand pounds without damaging your vehicle. However, do not use a 6-cylinder sedan for excessive, regular use towing or you will indeed destroy the vehicle.

You can ask a neighbor to help you load your heavier items (bed, couch, etc.) onto the trailer. No need to hire an illegal from Home Depot.
That's good if you're a tradesman or you live out in the country. But most people I see with big SUVs and trucks don't really make use of them. There's less than once a year I wish I had a pickup to haul something big. I can't remember the last time I needed a trailer. It's not really worth the expense of paying 10k more than what you would spend on a small car. Not to mention your fuel costs increase substantially, tires are more expensive, etc.

That's good if you're a tradesman or you live out in the country. But most people I see with big SUVs and trucks don't really make use of them. There's less than once a year I wish I had a pickup to haul something big. I can't remember the last time I needed a trailer. It's not really worth the expense of paying 10k more than what you would spend on a small car. Not to mention your fuel costs increase substantially, tires are more expensive, etc.
Agreed. If you rarely need it, there's no point in taking on the added expense. Not only is a tow capable vehicle more expensive, but if you have a trailer, you need a place to sort it. Not everybody has a good spot for this.

I've rented UHauls many times over the years (or Budget or whoever has the best rates). You can either rent them to return at the same location or rent them one way.

The cost of renting occasionally is far less than the cost of owning and maintaining your own trailer. Also, you can rent any size you need, whereas if you own a trailer, you are stuck with that size. You might still find yourself renting when you need a bigger truck!

Last edited:
I've rented UHauls many times over the years.
I can't remember the last time I needed a trailer.
Maddox apparently needs one right now.

And I'm not sure what you think about the future in terms of The Decline? But if some sort of "collapse" happens in the next decade where Uhaul ceases to exist because nobody can afford their services then I think a DIY approach to moving might become more appealing to electrical-grid dependent Gen X & Z-type city dwellers.

Having the right tool for the job is a key component to being a location independent DIY jab-free man in 2024 and beyond. Trailers are a great inexpensive tool where the longer you own one, the cheaper they become. But I suppose many "modern" urban men might not get this because as of now they can rent Uhauls and hire illegals to do their manual labor grunt work.

I've been in my current city for a few years, but was moving around quite a bit before that. Chicago to Hawaii to Florida to Seattle to Oregon, with briefs stops in Colorado, Idaho, Utah, etc. I was not travelling with furniture, or a car for that matter. Travel light. I had a backpack and a suitcase. Airbnb is good for short-term places, and there's a website called Furnished Finder with short or long-term stays. Lots of good places on there, with or without roommates. I would use Indeed or craigslist, but was mainly looking at lower skilled jobs so it was pretty easy to find stuff.

This might not be exactly what you're trying to do, but it worked for me. I'm glad to have stability now though.

Maddox apparently needs one right now.

And I'm not sure what you think about the future in terms of The Decline? But if some sort of "collapse" happens in the next decade where Uhaul ceases to exist because nobody can afford their services then I think a DIY approach to moving might become more appealing to electrical-grid dependent Gen X & Z-type city dwellers.

Having the right tool for the job is a key component to being a location independent DIY jab-free man in 2024 and beyond. Trailers are a great inexpensive tool where the longer you own one, the cheaper they become. But I suppose many "modern" urban men might not get this because as of now they can rent Uhauls and hire illegals to do their manual labor grunt work.
There's nothing to suggest a total collapse is imminent. You can prepare all you want for that eventuality but this stuff isn't free, and I can think of better ways to spend my money right now. Sure, it's good to have a gun, stock up on food, easy things like that. But does it really make sense to spend a ton of money on something that has a very small likelihood of actually occurring?

What's more likely is that living standards will continue to decline in the US, crime and disorder will increase, and government tyranny will escalate. Unless you go out in the woods completely off grid, and I mean literally you don't use electricity and grow all your own food, there's no escaping the government and macroeconomic conditions.

Okay. Don't get a trailer then.

There is a way to escape these things, and to say that there is "no" way is not true. Most people just can't figure it out because they have weak trailer game.
There's a way to escape until Joe Biden-Schumer Jr. III comes to your secluded country estate to requisition your shiny new 2000 HP truck and fancy 6 axle trailer for his LGBTQXYZ+-×÷ army battalion.

Maddox, I thought you wanted to move abroad? Why the change to moving to another state? And how far. Moving from NY to NJ is entirely different than moving NY to ID. And why for only a year?

The last question is important given current costs. If I was only moving for a year it would mean I'm already planning my next move. Being mobile is important. So I'd place lesser value on physical items.

I rented a dumpster and threw out lots of stuff before moving 3K miles last summer. Now I hit up estate sales and marketplace to find good deals. Plenty to be had. But I wouldn't see the point if I was already planning on moving again a year later.

Just rent a U-Haul and hire some Mexicans.
A 1K JewHaul rental plus $200 for "hiring" illegals (a crime) are the final solution instead of owning a 1K trailer and asking your neighbor to help you move the heavy stuff? 👌

It's not really worth the expense of paying 10k more
You can score good used single axle trailers for under 1K and even if you only have a 6-cylinder sedan you can have a tow hitch installed. This set up is good for moving periodically from state to state and you can effectively tow up to about three-thousand pounds without damaging your vehicle.
Not 10K, 1K, and I tow one of my small trailers (that I got for $300) loaded with a 1000 pounds 200 miles each week with a 2002 manual transmission Ford Focus 4-cylinder with 200K miles on it that I bought 6 years ago for $500.

Please stop spreading false propaganda about the importance, cost effectiveness, simplicity, and joy of having deep trailer game.

There's nothing to suggest a total collapse is imminent... does it really make sense to spend a ton of money on something that has a very small likelihood of actually occurring?
Joe Biden-Schumer Jr. III comes to your secluded country estate to requisition your shiny new 2000 HP truck and fancy 6 axle trailer for his LGBTQXYZ+-×÷ army battalion.
So which is it, nothing imminent is going to happen or Bolshevik Biden is coming to requisition our assets?

Don't answer that. I'm out of this argument about Maddox's move and how stupid it is to own a tow trailer.

Last edited:
Back