Motorcycles

RedLagoon

Orthodox Inquirer
Heritage
Thank you @stadtaffe for giving me the privilege to start this thread!

Motorcycles are what have kept me from going insane during hard times and from what I've learned through real world conversations and friendships, it has for many others.
Let's share our passion here.

So let's celebrate motorcycles!

Let's start with honoring the legend designer that is Massimo Tamburini:
il_794xN.2815121208_104b.webp

I think motorcycles are in my blood. My dad was a biker, my grandpa rode bikes in WW2 and prior, and I learned when I was 5 to ride - the same bike I passed on to my son when he was 4.

I have ridden around Australia, Japan, Thailand and parts of Europe and North America from Alaska to Guatemala and thousands of miles in between. I love riding.

Let's make this thread happen!

I've owned and rode motorbikes from the age of 14 and love them with a passion. Most years I'd do a few thousand miles riding down to the south of France, sometimes pushing on into into Spain and Portugal, but since the madness of 2020, haven't left England. Next year I'm going to do a major European tour though, God willing.

Anyhow, there's always lots to discuss regarding bikes.

There are some Orthodox biker brotherhoods I've looked into that seem pretty cool. My current bike is an old Harley I restored with my friend. It's a beauty. Vroom vroom.

I enjoyed riding all types of bikes while living in Souteast Asia. The Mae Hong Son loop in Northern Thailand was wonderful. Made that trip several times.

I had automatic scooters for almost a decade then I had two motorcycles for just a few years. It was only ever for inner city convenience for me, dealing with gridlocked traffic and when I couldn't bear to be in a car anymore (when I used to live in a car-culture region) There was a slight 'fashion' factor with the 2-wheeled transport as well.

The motorcycles were of course very different to the scooters. I'm licensed to ride anything, but already 900cc twin-cylinders seems very fast for me. I sold the second of the two motorcycles earlier this year. Had written more about it on RVF, may repeat some if it at some point here. Both were Triumphs.

There's a reason I asked someone else to start this thread - I'm not really a motorcycle person. Have even ridden bicycles including racers a very lot more in my life than motorcycles. Still, since I sold that last one, can't get them off my mind. Have some ideas what I would get if I do eventually 'crack'. Have a nice set of leathers and helmets still, smells good as well, and I have promised myself after a small accident on a scooter I hired earlier this year which did draw blood, that if I buy my own motorcycle again I must start in leathers and possibly even do a refresher safety training course. I was reading somewhere about "tight radius turns" and indeed that was the silly accident I had.

But what really got me about the motorcycles compared to the automatic scooters was the lack of storage space. The first scooter I had could fit a full face helmet under the seat - which is the equivalent of of a lot of groceries or textbooks or gym gear. Then I had a top box on it as well which could also fit a full face helmet.

But the motorcycles had nothing, you couldn't even put your wallet somewhere, the scooters had an in-built glove-box of sorts for that. At one point with the first of the motorcycles I made some loops of cord attached to the seat so I could strap a bag to the back. That of course lacked the 'security' factor of the top boxes or under seat storage which are very theft resistant, but it was at least something.

I know there are also top boxes which take 2 full face helmets. Then, motorcycles also look cool with those side panniers. Then you see those characters with the 1200cc BMW ones with 3 large aluminium boxes around the back who look ready to do the Paris-Dakar.

I hate having on any kind of backpack whether on bicycle or motorcycle, only do it if it's an urgent situation.

Do you guys have any formula you find convenient for luggage for general inner city use for groceries, gym stuff, work stuff etc, leaving behind some of the leathers at times? Some compromise between practical and fashionable..

The first scooter weighed 94kg, the second 140kg but the motorcycles were both around 205kg which is quite a lot more. That weight difference does change the way you ride, whether you attempt to squeeze between the gaps of (parked) traffic. Triumph has brought out some new 400cc models in recent times, a fair bit lighter and smaller than anything else they sell. Not tied to that brand but am a bit curious to at least try one of those if I get serious about it again, compare it to the 900.

I had automatic scooters for almost a decade then I had two motorcycles for just a few years. It was only ever for inner city convenience for me, dealing with gridlocked traffic and when I couldn't bear to be in a car anymore (when I used to live in a car-culture region) There was a slight 'fashion' factor with the 2-wheeled transport as well.

The motorcycles were of course very different to the scooters. I'm licensed to ride anything, but already 900cc twin-cylinders seems very fast for me. I sold the second of the two motorcycles earlier this year. Had written more about it on RVF, may repeat some if it at some point here. Both were Triumphs.

There's a reason I asked someone else to start this thread - I'm not really a motorcycle person. Have even ridden bicycles including racers a very lot more in my life than motorcycles. Still, since I sold that last one, can't get them off my mind. Have some ideas what I would get if I do eventually 'crack'. Have a nice set of leathers and helmets still, smells good as well, and I have promised myself after a small accident on a scooter I hired earlier this year which did draw blood, that if I buy my own motorcycle again I must start in leathers and possibly even do a refresher safety training course. I was reading somewhere about "tight radius turns" and indeed that was the silly accident I had.

But what really got me about the motorcycles compared to the automatic scooters was the lack of storage space. The first scooter I had could fit a full face helmet under the seat - which is the equivalent of of a lot of groceries or textbooks or gym gear. Then I had a top box on it as well which could also fit a full face helmet.

But the motorcycles had nothing, you couldn't even put your wallet somewhere, the scooters had an in-built glove-box of sorts for that. At one point with the first of the motorcycles I made some loops of cord attached to the seat so I could strap a bag to the back. That of course lacked the 'security' factor of the top boxes or under seat storage which are very theft resistant, but it was at least something.

I know there are also top boxes which take 2 full face helmets. Then, motorcycles also look cool with those side panniers. Then you see those characters with the 1200cc BMW ones with 3 large aluminium boxes around the back who look ready to do the Paris-Dakar.

I hate having on any kind of backpack whether on bicycle or motorcycle, only do it if it's an urgent situation.

Do you guys have any formula you find convenient for luggage for general inner city use for groceries, gym stuff, work stuff etc, leaving behind some of the leathers at times? Some compromise between practical and fashionable..

The first scooter weighed 94kg, the second 140kg but the motorcycles were both around 205kg which is quite a lot more. That weight difference does change the way you ride, whether you attempt to squeeze between the gaps of (parked) traffic. Triumph has brought out some new 400cc models in recent times, a fair bit lighter and smaller than anything else they sell. Not tied to that brand but am a bit curious to at least try one of those if I get serious about it again, compare it to the 900.

Have a look at the Honda NC750 (or the older 700) they have a storage compartment where the fuel tank normally is which fits a full size helmet. They also come with an automatic gearbox (like a scooter) if that's what you like:

There are also several versions of them, naked cross tourer etc.

Edit: I actually owned the 700 a few years back which I used as my daily commuter in the city. It was a great versatile bike, not hugely powerful but very torquey with neutral handling and great fuel economy.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Honda NC750 (or the older 700) they have a storage compartment where the fuel tank normally is which fits a full size helmet. They also come with an automatic gearbox (like a scooter) if that's what you like:

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/adventure/nc750x
Thanks, I had a look. That compartment feature is great and something else I notice from the pictures there which I learned is important for me is an upright riding position. Vertical. That slight lean that was required on the second of the two Triumphs I had really bothered me, I don't like that on bicycles either.

Why is inbuilt storage on a motorcycle such a rarity..

That Honda 700 is actually 2 cylinder which makes things smoother.

Actually I found it fun suddenly having gears on the motorcycle, but bothersome not to have a dash display telling you which gear you were in on the older one. If I 'crack' and get something will either be a regular motorcycle or a scooter similar to what I used to have. If it is a motorcycle I'll just have to sort out various bags or boxes to simulate what I was used to.

I just started riding last year, in April. Zero riding experience, in fact I hadn't even an inclination to buy a motorcycle most of my life. I started having dreams about buying one, something about the freedom it entails (in both a literal sense and the freedom from your life concerns because riding forces you to pay so much attention that you cannot be worried about your problems in life).

After watching The Place Beyond the Pines (which is a fantastic movie btw, Gosling uses a dual sport motorcycle in bank heists) it really sold me, it's just gdamn fun and thrilling unlike almost any other mundane activities in life.

The danger is very real and while people love to say the problem is other drivers, the problem is the riders. Sure, sometimes you can do everything right and still get an in accident, but the overwhelming majority of crashes, fatalities, etc are from retarded boomers (Harley riders) who ride drunk, without gear, have no real training or perceptual/anticipatory awareness, and can't swerve, uturn, or even lean to save their life (literally).

Anyway, I bought the bike new at a dealer and rode it right off the lot...maybe not the smartest decision. I didn't have any close calls or anything but I definitely struggled at slow speeds, but after tons of practicing with cones in parking lots I feel surpremely confident in both high speeds and slow speed.

I decided, after very little research, to buy a new '22 Kawsaki KLX 300SM, I wanted a versatile bike that I can use for anything other than long-range touring, and a supermoto/dual sport seems like the best type of bike for me. It's a great starter bike due to its 300lb weight and 300CC engine which prevents you from accidentally rolling the throttle too much when turning. I can hold the throttle down and it generally caps out around 85-95 in most conditions so even if you're going around a tight turn it's really not a big deal because it can easily handle it.

That said, I feel after 1.5 yrs and 12k miles I've already outgrown it. I love the bike for it's overall performance and handling, but the speed obviously leaves something to be desired. It's great around cities and twisty roads, even off roading it's pretty decent for a supermoto. It's perfectly doable on the highway, I once took it nearly 1000 mi round trip and the only real problem I have is the low fuel capacity and lack of wind protection but that could be modified if you were so inclined. But the biggest problem I have is definitely the speed/acceleration.

I haven't done a whole lot of research on what bike I want next but if they made this exact bike in 750CC+ it would be damn near perfect. I'm thinking something like a Yamaha Ténéré 700 would be a good bet.

Attachments

• 2023-12-29 17_38_22-Window.webp
    2023-12-29 17_38_22-Window.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 2023-12-29 17_39_53-Window.webp
    2023-12-29 17_39_53-Window.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 65
yamaha - Copy.jpg

Miss this bike damn near every day, had to sell it years back. Gentle enough in the low RPMs but had an awesome kick once you hit the power band. I loved riding as a hobby, sucked when I needed to use it for transportation purposes though, and I was always a bit concerned about a deer jumping out in front of me and getting wrecked through no mistake of my own.

I just started riding last year, in April. Zero riding experience, in fact I hadn't even an inclination to buy a motorcycle most of my life. I started having dreams about buying one, something about the freedom it entails (in both a literal sense and the freedom from your life concerns because riding forces you to pay so much attention that you cannot be worried about your problems in life).

After watching The Place Beyond the Pines (which is a fantastic movie btw, Gosling uses a dual sport motorcycle in bank heists) it really sold me, it's just gdamn fun and thrilling unlike almost any other mundane activities in life.

The danger is very real and while people love to say the problem is other drivers, the problem is the riders. Sure, sometimes you can do everything right and still get an in accident, but the overwhelming majority of crashes, fatalities, etc are from retarded boomers (Harley riders) who ride drunk, without gear, have no real training or perceptual/anticipatory awareness, and can't swerve, uturn, or even lean to save their life (literally).

Anyway, I bought the bike new at a dealer and rode it right off the lot...maybe not the smartest decision. I didn't have any close calls or anything but I definitely struggled at slow speeds, but after tons of practicing with cones in parking lots I feel surpremely confident in both high speeds and slow speed.

I decided, after very little research, to buy a new '22 Kawsaki KLX 300SM, I wanted a versatile bike that I can use for anything other than long-range touring, and a supermoto/dual sport seems like the best type of bike for me. It's a great starter bike due to its 300lb weight and 300CC engine which prevents you from accidentally rolling the throttle too much when turning. I can hold the throttle down and it generally caps out around 85-95 in most conditions so even if you're going around a tight turn it's really not a big deal because it can easily handle it.

That said, I feel after 1.5 yrs and 12k miles I've already outgrown it. I love the bike for it's overall performance and handling, but the speed obviously leaves something to be desired. It's great around cities and twisty roads, even off roading it's pretty decent for a supermoto. It's perfectly doable on the highway, I once took it nearly 1000 mi round trip and the only real problem I have is the low fuel capacity and lack of wind protection but that could be modified if you were so inclined. But the biggest problem I have is definitely the speed/acceleration.

I haven't done a whole lot of research on what bike I want next but if they made this exact bike in 750CC+ it would be damn near perfect. I'm thinking something like a Yamaha Ténéré 700 would be a good bet.
Maybe have a look at this:

Not to be a downer, but just a word of caution. Especially with New Years coming up, which is notorious for traffic and drunks.

Few days before Christmas, boomer Harley riders in my neck of the woods crashed into a car near the grocery store turning at intersection, no helmet or gear, killing himself and putting his wife in the hospital on life support. Sad. No idea if they were drunk or not. He was early 50s.

A couple years ago my sister's friend's daughter and her boyfriend died on a motorcycle crash. Went through light at last second at intersection and car didn't see them. Teenagers.

I've been in a few near death situations more than once when in Southeast Asia and witnessed some horrific crashes from others. I remember them vividly.

I was there 7 years, but I'm still more wary about riding in the states. I have a license. I'm very safe and ride with a helmet and gear. I stay off the road when it's wet or dark.

But I'm still hesitant to ride here. I don't like going over 50 and I prefer to stay on country roads. Just take it nice and easy. There's just so many cars and huge freaking trucks that will smash me. In small villages in Thailand for example it's pretty much just all bikes and feels so much safer.

The issue for me here in USA, unlike Southeast Asia, is the obvious fact no one is really looking out for bikes. It's obvious.

We are like a moving roundabout factor. When I couple that with living in a retarded retirement area, redneck men flooring their dodge rams, deer freaking out, etc, my risks increase exponentially.

I drive for work. A ton of driving. Some of the things that have happened to me would have been impossible to avoid death on a bike.

Be safe boys, especially around intersections. God bless.

Last edited:
I think motorcycles are in my blood. My dad was a biker, my grandpa rode bikes in WW2 and prior, and I learned when I was 5 to ride - the same bike I passed on to my son when he was 4.

I have ridden around Australia, Japan, Thailand and parts of Europe and North America from Alaska to Guatemala and thousands of miles in between. I love riding.

Let's make this thread happen!

Great thread, @Red

In my blood too for all the wrong reasons... haha... We almost have a family tree of motorcycle related injuries. Speaking for myself alone should have died twice already, but thankful for God's hand.

Though i've never been a big biker (always been involved with cars) just loved the opportunity when it came up. Still have a deep desire to ride across India on an adventure with a Royal Enfield or ride a nice a Bonneville at home. Beautiful machines deserve respect.

Huge fan of Long Way Around adventures too. Highly recommended.

Not to be a downer, but just a word of caution. Especially with New Years coming up, which is notorious for traffic and drunks.

Few days before Christmas, boomer Harley riders in my neck of the woods crashed into a car near the grocery store turning at intersection, no helmet or gear, killing himself and putting his wife in the hospital on life support. Sad. No idea if they were drunk or not. He was early 50s.

A couple years ago my sister's friend's daughter and her boyfriend died on a motorcycle crash. Went through light at last second at intersection and car didn't see them. Teenagers.

I've been in a few near death situations more than once when in Southeast Asia and witnessed some horrific crashes from others. I remember them vividly.

I was there 7 years, but I'm still more wary about riding in the states. I have a license. I'm very safe and ride with a helmet and gear. I stay off the road when it's wet or dark.

But I'm still hesitant to ride here. I don't like going over 50 and I prefer to stay on country roads. Just take it nice and easy. There's just so many cars and huge freaking trucks that will smash me. In small villages in Thailand for example it's pretty much just all bikes and feels so much safer.

The issue for me here in USA, unlike Southeast Asia, is the obvious fact no one is really looking out for bikes. It's obvious.

We are like a moving roundabout factor. When I couple that with living in a retarded retirement area, redneck men flooring their dodge rams, deer freaking out, etc, my risks increase exponentially.

I drive for work. A ton of driving. Some of the things that have happened to me would have been impossible to avoid death on a bike.

Be safe boys, especially around intersections. God bless.

I'm sorry to tell you but that sounds more like a lack of skill/being retarded.

Something I find interesting is that there was a study done in Europe a while ago that concluded that motorcyclists, on average, have a higher IQ and are better car drivers due to having much better situational awareness.

Not sure how to find that study in modern cancel culture.

I'm sorry to tell you but that sounds more like a lack of skill/being retarded.

Something I find interesting is that there was a study done in Europe a while ago that concluded that motorcyclists, on average, have a higher IQ and are better car drivers due to having much better situational awareness.

Not sure how to find that study in modern cancel culture.
I would agree. I find that learning how to ride a motorcycle safely makes me a much better driver as well. It's all about perception and anticipation. Though, having real skills to swerve, break properly, quick reaction, deciceiveness also matter a great deal. The best advice I heard is to act like you are invisible to every driver. I would also advise anyone to check out DanDanTheFireman on YT he breaks down crashes.

I ride in the dark and rain frequently and still feel safe because I know how to anticipate danger.

The overwhelming majority of motorcycle accidents are from low IQ boomer/Harley riders.

I'm more inclined to go with established brands (more available repair/aftermarket support), especially Japanese, Kawi Suzi and Yama are some of the most reliable brands. I cannot ever imagine riding an Italian bike.

I would agree. I find that learning how to ride a motorcycle safely makes me a much better driver as well. It's all about perception and anticipation. Though, having real skills to swerve, break properly, quick reaction, deciceiveness also matter a great deal. The best advice I heard is to act like you are invisible to every driver.

I ride in the dark and rain frequently (sometimes even speeding) and still feel safe because I know how to anticipate danger.

The overwhelming majority of motorcycle accidents are from low IQ boomer/Harly riders.

I'm more inclined to go with established brands (more available repair/aftermarket support), especially Japanese, Kawi Suzi and Yama are some of the most reliable brands. I cannot ever imagine riding an Italian bike.

The Italians are killing it right now, won every championship bar moto America. Have a look, Aprilia made a massive step in MotoGP and are (almost) as reliable as the Japanese now.

Edit: I do understand and the Yamaha Tenere is also.a great option.

The Italians are killing it right now, won every championship bar moto America. Have a look, Aprilia made a massive step in MotoGP and are (almost) as reliable as the Japanese now.
I have to admit it looks a bit ugly to me but I will keep an eye on it.

I read a long thread on a forum which answered every aspect of what I was getting at here, and with a bit of humour :
Won't be joining any motorcycle forums unless I am truly into it one day again..

For pure convenience, the scooters are more pleasant, storage space, small wheels for maneuverability. Several guys in that thread also have had both like I did although they have them simultaneously. One guy said that he likes not to have to concentrate so hard when on the scooter in the city.

The danger is very real and while people love to say the problem is other drivers, the problem is the riders.

It's all very well with a car turning at an intersection, you should anticipate sometimes you just have to assume the other road users will look out.

Then there's oil patches, wet street lines, wet tram tracks, sand and gravel, grooved roads.

One thing that is unforgivable however is to not stay upright on perfectly dry surface due to one's own fault, or to crash a motorcycle into an unmoving object.

Then there's oil patches, wet street lines, wet tram tracks, sand and gravel, grooved roads.

You just need to always scan ahead, especially in turns. If it's nighttime, raining, etc you just need to lower your speed around turns and be ready to lean back to a neutral position. You can go through oil, gravel, etc without problem as long as the bike is upright and you're not going too fast.

Great thread, @Red

In my blood too for all the wrong reasons... haha... We almost have a family tree of motorcycle related injuries. Speaking for myself alone should have died twice already, but thankful for God's hand.

Though i've never been a big biker (always been involved with cars) just loved the opportunity when it came up. Still have a deep desire to ride across India on an adventure with a Royal Enfield or ride a nice a Bonneville at home. Beautiful machines deserve respect.

Huge fan of Long Way Around adventures too. Highly recommended.
I had plans to ride across India on a Royal Enfield once upon a time. Then I met a guy down in Mexico who had ridden the whole world and he said that no question India was BY FAR the most dangerous place he has ridden. There was almost no pleasure in the ride there, and it wasn't until he made it to northern India/Pakistan that he had moments of enjoyment. Do it for the bragging rights, but just the sheer amount of human density there and zero awareness of human life made it the worst place in the world for riding. Rafting his bike through Borneo jungle was more enjoyable!

I drive through Surrey, BC a couple times a month and that is about as much Indian driving that I can handle!

Back