• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Keyboards

God's lonely asperger

Protestant
Heritage
I got ~30 dollars last year from selling an old keyboard and I can't really save the money for later (long story). I was searching Brazilian Ebay for junk to spend this on, since I can't save it, but I don't like buying junk.

The one thing that stood out to me is computer peripheral stuff. I have this really old keyboard currently. It works fine (for now), but it's old and cheap quality. I'll probably also get a job that involves keyboard stuff in the future, among using computer frequently. Point is that I use computer a lot for a few reasons.

Wondering what you guys think of keyboards, especially mechanical ones and that stuff. I'm not the type of guy who goes around spending, especially with taxes in my country, so I have less experience. I also want advice on if I should buy a new one with these 30 dollars, they've been here since last year.

With mechanical keyboards, you need to be aware of the different tactile key resistances and the noise they make. I have a very expensive Corsair K90 mechanical keyboard on my gaming PC, but TBH the key resistance is too light, making it too easy to accidentally depress the wrong keys. It is also very noisy and has prompted complaints in voice chat. As I most use a controller, I have stuck with it.

I now use on my general internet PC a Logitech G413 Carbon mechanical wired keyboard. The key resistance is just right and the noise is more acceptable. It is full gaming spec but reasonably priced. You may be able to pick one up second hand on eBay, like here:
The problem is that the shipping could be more than the keyboard, if the seller is in the US.

The red backlight is great for night use.

1699300174083.png

If you are not using for gaming, then I don't think that it is imperative to get a no-ghosting mechanical keyboard.

I love using a mechanical keyboard, have had some modern gamer ones with glowing keys (although I don't game EVER, well not electronic games at least) Am typing on a really small gamer style one now.

..but you haven't typed until you've typed on an IBM mechanical keyboard from the 80s or 90s.

There are these two -
and
I have one of each, the one has a large round AT/XT connector dates from the 80s and the one with a PS/2 connector dates from the 90s. They both need adaptors to connect to a USB port which wasn't invented back then.

They are wonderfully noisy and heavy. The modern gamer ones make a nice click but the older IBM ones make a louder noise which definitely sounds more like machinery. There is a lot of metal that is in the construction of those older IBM ones which makes them so heavy.

If you can get a classic buckling keyboard like @stadtaffe suggested above, that would be solid.

There are Lenovo thinkpad classic keyboards that you can get that are a dream to type on as well.

I went down the rabbit hole on this a few years back and bought an Ergodox EZ Split Keyboard that has been perhaps the best purchase of the last half decade for me - The ability to sit shoulder width apart, combined with a trackball between the split has saved my shoulders and wrists.

@God's lonely asperger Four people have replied with thoughts and advice, but you are ghosting the thread. What gives? Was none of it good enough?
I don't know what to say for a few of these. Looking for more options and that type of deal. But now that you mention it, the ones @stadtaffe and @Thefinalepic mentioned are hard to get in my country. That's an issue I had on some recommendation videos.

If you are not using for gaming, then I don't think that it is imperative to get a no-ghosting mechanical keyboard.
I should have put in the OP that I'm using it mostly for games, but I also use it for general typing/programming.
The problem is that the shipping could be more than the keyboard, if the seller is in the US.
I'm pretty much locked on Brazilian eBay because of that. I can also use amazon a bit, but the Brazilian one has better shipping. It's Mercado Livre if anyone even knows about it. South American from Uruguay, but has a lot of stuff in Brazil. Never failed to deliver for me.
With mechanical keyboards, you need to be aware of the different tactile key resistances and the noise they make.
I'm probably getting the brown switch ones since I hate the noise. Do you think they are worth the switch over membrane ones? They pretty much cost the double, and have double the amount of rip-offs cashing in on the trend.

I should have put in the OP that I'm using it mostly for games, but I also use it for general typing/programming.

I'm pretty much locked on Brazilian eBay because of that. I can also use amazon a bit, but the Brazilian one has better shipping. It's Mercado Livre if anyone even knows about it. South American from Uruguay, but has a lot of stuff in Brazil. Never failed to deliver for me.

I'm probably getting the brown switch ones since I hate the noise. Do you think they are worth the switch over membrane ones? They pretty much cost the double, and have double the amount of rip-offs cashing in on the trend.
Yes, for gaming, you should keep an eye out for no-ghosting, mechanical keyboard, with the right keys like cherry brown/red/Romer-G or equivalent. Membrane will probably be relatively poor, IMO.

Aside from the G413, I have also had this keyboard with brown equivalent keys. It was good value for money, and maybe you can find one.

GATERON Brown Switch Wired Backlit Mechanical Mini Design

I would advise looking out for these two or something similar, second hand on eBay or wherever.

I'm not sure how it costs in where you are but a Royal Kludge RK68 sounds like a good fit for what you want. It's a 65% keyboard which means it's a slightly jammed version of a numpad-less keyboard. I think there's also a variant of this RK68 that's "hotswappable" so you can also change the switches when you're done with them or if you don't like it.

If you can get a classic buckling keyboard like @stadtaffe suggested above, that would be solid.

There are Lenovo thinkpad classic keyboards that you can get that are a dream to type on as well.

I went down the rabbit hole on this a few years back and bought an Ergodox EZ Split Keyboard that has been perhaps the best purchase of the last half decade for me - The ability to sit shoulder width apart, combined with a trackball between the split has saved my shoulders and wrists.
The Ergodox looks amazing. Thank you for sharing.

The Ergodox looks amazing. Thank you for sharing.
If you use vim controls sytem wide, you never really have to leave the shoulder-width apart posture.

Keeps your chest open, posture is so much better than it was when I used a conventional keyboard.

Very relieved that the small modern gamer type mechanical keyboard I am currently using seems to have fully recovered from a coffee spill incident.

Actually a few years ago, the notebook's in-built 'membrane' keyboard was lost to a coffee spill. It was only a small amount but nothing would work, drying it out for days, hairdryer, it would not come back to life at all. The replacement 'membrane' keyboards after that seemed to just die by themselves after eighteen months or so.

Now a few days ago I was stupidly carrying a cup of coffee and the computer and keyboard down a ladder and...

Again, only a small amount. Initially, the mechanical keyboard would not work at all. But by the end of the day it was mostly working except the letter 'R'. I pulled off a few keys and put them back again, was dreading the idea of hairdrying the whole thing. But it seems now to have recovered all by itself.

No-one's going to sit out in the rain and use a PC but these keyboards are damn sensitive to liquids. The mechanical ones possibly less so.

Redragon keyboards. Based or cringe? I always hear about that brand when searching "budget thing computer". Quite cheap.

I had the Red Dragon Kumara. It was my first mechanical keyboard.

Very sturdy and well-built. The keys were clicky and loud (as they should) and it felt very different to your typical non-mechanical keyboard. Overall it was good value for the money ($35USD, but probably more expensive in Brazil.) The keyboard lasted me many years of heavy use before I got rid of it.

I had the Red Dragon Kumara. It was my first mechanical keyboard.

Very sturdy and well-built. The keys were clicky and loud (as they should) and it felt very different to your typical non-mechanical keyboard. Overall it was good value for the money ($35USD, but probably more expensive in Brazil.) The keyboard lasted me many years of heavy use before I got rid of it.
That's the one I've seen the most. Probably buying that.

New keyboard just dropped. Only issue I'm having is adapting to the Portuguese keymaps. Then again, it's probably better than my old one having the frankenstein English-Portuguese keymaps where I had to look up stuff like the | key to copy paste it every time I needed it since there was literally no | key.
Small shift key is also weird.

Big fan of the mechanical feel, even if I thought it was soy months ago.

Thanks for the replies frens.

New keyboard just dropped. Only issue I'm having is adapting to the Portuguese keymaps. Then again, it's probably better than my old one having the frankenstein English-Portuguese keymaps where I had to look up stuff like the | key to copy paste it every time I needed it since there was literally no | key.
Small shift key is also weird.

Big fan of the mechanical feel, even if I thought it was soy months ago.

Thanks for the replies frens.

2 weeks later, how are you liking your keyboard?

2 weeks later, how are you liking your keyboard?
Pretty solid. Doesn't make much noise or any notable issue. I was used to the old one that was membrane, and those chiclet laptop ones.

Durability might be an issue, but oh well. I'm currently using a fake Logitech mouse from the weirdest source ever, and it still hasn't gotten the double click issue after 3 years.

Back