Hugging your dad

I don't see my dad often but when I do we always hug hello and goodbye. I hug my sisters and mom all the time. I think nearly all of us don't get enough hugs; I have a boxing bag and one time broke down and sort of wrapped my arms around it crying. The physical act softens our heart. The day to day of modern life hardens our heart. I think Jesus would give us a big hug if he could. One thing I look forward to most about having a wife is being able to get hugs all the time.

Thought of this thread and gave my dad a big hug last night. He scheduled to put his dog down today and I had a trip that couldn't be postponed further. As we get older, gifts matter less and shared time and affection matter more. What are you going to give a mid-80s old man that's had a full life of challenges and successes and enough hard knocks? A hug and a nice long visit are sufficient.

I feel for men that have strained relations with their fathers. Give him a hug if at all possible. It might only clear your side of the table. That's all you can do. Maybe you get more than you expect.

We both lost our dogs in the last 6 months so we know the feelz.

Back