• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

How would you live if you won the lottery?

bubs

Protestant
Heritage
Let’s say you win or inherit greater than $50M. What would you do? Always a fun conversation topic so figured to post it.

Me
Year 1
1) pay off all remaining debt and mortgage
2) quit working
3) do any/all repairs and upgrades to house that have been on my priority list for last 10+years
4) pay for and take at least 1 lavish trip (2-3 weeks somewhere exotic/previously unattainable) with family if they are able
5) hire a personal training to come to my house and force me to exercise at least 4-5 times a week
6). Hire a personal chef to buy all our groceries and prepare very healthy high-end meals for my household

Future years:
1) Consider selling house (or giving it to family), and buying 2 houses in desirable locations to alternate living in 2 locations during the year.
2). Vacation max. 4 times a year (IMO traveling too much one loses appreciation and enjoyment of travel). Need to look forward to something you enjoy and not doing it all the time.
3). Volunteer a few days a week to help the local community or go overseas to help people in need.
4). Make sure I can pay for parents medical needs during their last stages of life
5) live off interest primarily

Last edited:
Seriously though...
Buy a chunk of property, let's say several hundred acres. As long as it had like 80% boreal forest and some water sources. Manage the forest and wildlife. Have a garden and livestock. Maybe think about reaching out to like minded people and starting a community with plots of land for everyone.
$50m can go a long way in Canada once you get out of the 100km wide strip of land that borders the US.

edit: I used to think I'd do things like open a hospital ward or public library but my feelings on those institutions have taken a turn over the last couple of years, go figure

Last edited:
Start my own foundation to help good Christian couples get out of their debt so they can form families.

Be a patron for great minds and potential authors, essentially fund my own think tank and indie publisher.

Buy my childhood home and set it up as a museum.

Buy land and learn to farm, create a doomsday bunker laden with all the essentials. Become self-sufficient in an off-grid way.

Travel and visit historic sites and see old architecture and cathedrals. Read local histories of places I travel to.

Set up my own community center and offer challenges to people for prize money, to encourage adults to mingle and have a reason to train and get in shape.

I will buy one nice tiny flat (big enough for a small family), get a dream car (which will not be more than 150k with parts and repairs). Help my extended family if they are not doing that well (making sure they use the money wisely). Will be interested in buying different businesses, would probably open a right wing pub that is also cozy where people can meet and make like minded friends. I will check on the smaller political parties and if I find sensible ones will probably sponsor their campaigns.

I will not quit working, will probably acquire businesses to see how different small ventures operate.

I'd upgrade my wardrobe, then move out of my parent's house. After that I'd devote my life to learning, writing, the visual arts, strength training, and service towards others.

@thinkreadwritecode mentioned publishing- I'd like to publish high quality editions of some of the older and rarer books which I've found spiritually enriching.

I also think I'd produce and market my own line of meticulously sculpted action figures and toys, based on characters from history, film, TV, and literature, if I can get the rights.

Last edited:
I'd buy land and build a modest homestead so that my family could supplement our needs with fresh, natural foods, with the ability to potentially rely solely off our own production if necessary.

I'd also start my own machine shop to give me purpose while still on this earth and to build something for my children to inherit.

Of course I'd also buy some cool old cars, finish getting my pilots license and buy my own small plane, take some cool vacations and be outrageously generous with tipping, donating to the church, etc.

Like most here, I would like an inconspicuous upper middle class lifestyle, something I could probably afford on a $300k annual income. I would travel in comfort, but not with $2000/night hotel rooms or other extravagances. I might buy some rural acreage and build a vacation home. I would quit my current job, but look to do some kind of productive work that creates value for other people.

Winning that amount of money would probably turn me into a hedonist, so I think it's good that I don't win.

There are some churches and organizations that I would give very generous amounts to.

But personally, it probably wouldn't go well for me.

Winning that amount of money would probably turn me into a hedonist, so I think it's good that I don't win.

There are some churches and organizations that I would give very generous amounts to.

But personally, it probably wouldn't go well for me.

"Give me neither poverty or riches; feed me with food convenient for me: lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, who is the LORD?"

- Proverbs 30:8-9

1711821546882.jpeg

I wonder how many people have won big in the lottery and then gone on to become successful in something related to business/investing or otherwise? I've never heard of anyone actually doing that! Most seem to either squander it or get tricked out of it in some way. Or maybe go crazy in some hedonistic way and die as a consequence. And even though I tend to dislike conspiratorial explanations in general, I sometimes wonder if these huge prizes you read about people winning are actually real? Could they pay someone a smaller sum and fake the numbers?

Last edited:
I would buy a house in Florida and a house in the Western US close to mountains and forests. Invest most of the money in index funds and work part-time at a golf course/ski resort/marina. Buy a boat in Florida, learn how to fish and sail. Ski, mountain bike, hike and kayak out West.

Most importantly, I'd have a big family with a nice girl from church and have her homeschool the kids.

I wonder how many people have won big in the lottery and then gone on to become successful in something related to business/investing or otherwise? I've never heard of anyone actually doing that! Most seem to either squander it or get tricked out of it in some way. Or maybe go crazy in some hedonistic way and die as a consequence. And even though I tend to dislike conspiratorial explanations in general, I sometimes wonder if these huge prized you read about people winning are actually real? Could they pay someone a smaller sum and fake the numbers?

This guy didn't do too badly:

This guy didn't do too badly:

What a shitty article. How many times the author wants to write: "his grey hair..." , "Trump hat"...blah blah. He won 10 million and is now worth more than that 30 years later. So, good for him. I dont think many people can do that.

I wonder how many people have won big in the lottery and then gone on to become successful in something related to business/investing or otherwise? I've never heard of anyone actually doing that! Most seem to either squander it or get tricked out of it in some way. Or maybe go crazy in some hedonistic way and die as a consequence.
Apparently a lot of them lose it all quickly. As many people like to say, the fact they even play the lotto is proof they are bad at managing money to begin with.

I remember seeing a TV show many years ago which interviewed several lottery winners, and more than a few of them had similar "I'm worse off now than I was before" stories. The one that struck me was an older lady who had her weekly ticket and hit the jackpot. No extravagant splurges, just some modest house and lifestyle upgrades to be comfortable and enjoy life. Her comment that left an impression was that she missed the satisfaction of having a goal, and saving, setting money aside and finally being able to afford that thing.

Apparently a lot of them lose it all quickly. As many people like to say, the fact they even play the lotto is proof they are bad at managing money to begin with.

I remember seeing a TV show many years ago which interviewed several lottery winners, and more than a few of them had similar "I'm worse off now than I was before" stories. The one that struck me was an older lady who had her weekly ticket and hit the jackpot. No extravagant splurges, just some modest house and lifestyle upgrades to be comfortable and enjoy life. Her comment that left an impression was that she missed the satisfaction of having a goal, and saving, setting money aside and finally being able to afford that thing.
I smell a conspiracy. How is it that high lottery winnings so commonly destroy people whereas high paying jobs or running a business or being a trust fund kid doesn't as reliably destroy people? It's almost like it's some kind of thing like, "See, goyim? You don't want riches, they'll destroy you. Now be a good goy and struggle for wages while enriching us."

Off grid.
Yep.

Minimum 100 acres of land.
Water well, along with rainwater harvesting .
Wind turbine, solar panels, and generator that can run on multiple fuel types.
Chickens, cows, goats, horses.
A very substantial garden and greenhouse.
Also, an apiary to harvest honey for eating and making mead.

Obviously I would not need the money, but to stay active in the community I would sell my honey, mead, farm fresh eggs and milk, along with produce at local farmer's markets.

Sounds like a good life to me!

Back