Holiday movies you watch every year

Renzy

Heirloom
Inspired by a similar thread I saw on another forum I frequent....with Thanksgiving just a week away and Christmas just around the corner, I thought it would be interesting to see which movies everyone watches this time of year.

For me at Thanksgiving it's Scent of a Woman with Al Pacino and Chris O'Donnell. While not strictly a Thanksgiving movie that's when the story takes place. It's about a prep school student (O'Donnell) who takes a job over Thanksgiving taking care of a retired veteran (Pacino) in order to save up enough money for a plane flight home for Christmas.

We made our Christmas movie list last night at dinner:

- Christmas Vacation
- Elf
- It's a Wonderful Life
- A Christmas Story
- Home Alone

Scent of a Woman is great. Might have to make that the first movie in our lead up to Christmas. We watch a movie every Sunday afternoon leading up to Christmas.

For me, it's always been Scrooge (1951) with Alastair Sim, It's A Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart, and of course, who can forget A Christmas Story...young Ralphie with his heart set on the “official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time”...and the Chinamen in the restaurant trying to sing Deck the Halls and Jingle Bells...Oh, my sides!

giphy.gif

Inspired by a similar thread I saw on another forum I frequent....with Thanksgiving just a week away and Christmas just around the corner, I thought it would be interesting to see which movies everyone watches this time of year.

For me at Thanksgiving it's Scent of a Woman with Al Pacino and Chris O'Donnell. While not strictly a Thanksgiving movie that's when the story takes place. It's about a prep school student (O'Donnell) who takes a job over Thanksgiving taking care of a retired veteran (Pacino) in order to save up enough money for a plane flight home for Christmas.

Great movie.

"If I were the man I was 5 years ago, I'd take a flamethrower to this place!"

Probably not what anyone was expecting but watching this movie became a Christmas tradition in a previous life. I haven't watched it in probably a decade now but I recall it being super funny and we would quote it year round. It also touches on game and the friend zone..... I don't think they make comedy movies anymore.

Finding actual Christmas-themed Christmas movies/shows the are mostly wholesome is a live issue for us every year; generally older is more reliable as is the case with all entertainment.

I am once again looking for suggestions if anyone has any.

My short list of go-to (which admittedly leans more "the season" than of the true meaning of Christmas):

A Christmas Carol - 1951 and 1984 versions
Bells of St. Mary's
It's a Wonderful Life
White Christmas
Babes in Toyland 1961
Elf

Animated:
Charlie Brown Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
The Little Drummer Boy
Claymation Christmas