Gnosticism

There is a tendency to ascribe the gnostic label to anyone who does not define Christian orthodoxy the same way as you do, and so I wish that more people would be slower to use the term and instead dig down on what was definitional of gnosticism, which is almost impossible to do as there was no one uniform version of gnosticism. It was essentially the New Age of it's day.
Yes, I've noticed how Gnosticism is most often used as shorthand for "a theological position I strongly disagree with or find ridiculous." Similar to how normies who have strong opinions about politics tend to call any political view they strongly disagree with "fascist."

Yes, there are a lot of people who profess to believe in ideas that they don't understand. According to Stephan Hoeller, the commonalities of the gnostic traditions include the following fourteen points:
  1. There is an original and transcendental spiritual unity from which emanated a vast manifestation of pluralities.
  2. The manifest universe of matter and mind was created not by the original spiritual unity but by spiritual beings possessing inferior powers.
  3. One of the objectives of these creators is the perpetual separation of humans from the unity (God).
  4. The human being is a composite: the outer aspect is the handiwork of the inferior creators, while the inner aspect is a fallen spark of the ultimate divine unity.
  5. The sparks of transcendental holiness slumber in their material and mental prison, their self-awareness stupefied by the forces of materiality and mind.
  6. The slumbering sparks have not been abandoned by the ultimate unity; rather, a constant effort directed toward their awakening and liberation comes forth from this unity.
  7. The awakening of the inmost divine essence in humans comes through salvific knowledge, called “gnosis.”
  8. Gnosis is not brought about by belief or by the performance of virtuous deeds or by obedience to commandments; these at best serve to prepare one for liberating knowledge.
  9. Among those aiding the slumbering sparks, a particular position of honor and importance belongs to a feminine emanation of the unity, Sophia (Wisdom). She was involved in the creation of the world and ever since has remained the guide of her orphaned human children.
  10. From the earliest times of history, messengers of Light have been sent forth from the ultimate unity for the purpose of advancing gnosis in the souls of humans.
  11. The greatest of these messengers in our historical and geographical matrix was the descended Logos of God manifest in Jesus Christ.
  12. Jesus exercised a twofold ministry: he was a teacher, imparting instruction concerning the way of gnosis; and he was a hierophant, imparting mysteries.
  13. The mysteries imparted by Jesus (which are also known as sacraments) are mighty aids toward gnosis and have been entrusted by him to his apostles and their successors.
  14. Through the spiritual practice of the mysteries (sacraments) and a relentless and uncompromising striving for gnosis, humans can steadily advance toward liberation from all confinement, material and otherwise. The ultimate objective of this process of liberation is the achievement of salvific knowledge and with it, freedom from embodied existence and return to the ultimate unity.
Thanks for this. I've never fully understood what the true original definition of Gnosticism is. I actually bookmarked this in case I need it for reference in the future.

I'll add that as a generally theologically confused person I was relieved to go through the points you listed here and ask myself what I really think about them. Although for some my reaction was "OK, maybe" there were so many that I definitely disagree with that I think it's safe to say I'm not a Gnostic, which is probably a good thing.

Back