General European Politics / Current Affairs

El Dorado

Other Christian
Hello all,
I'll start this thread to deal with general politics / current affairs of European nations not already listed here in the Europe section of the forum.

For starters, I've just learned that earlier today, Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico was shot several times at the site of a Cabinet meeting in the city of Handlova and is currently in life-threatening condition.

I know next to nothing about Slovakian affairs, but it appears that Fico is a conservative, populist leader; Euro-skeptic, pro-tax reform, against military support to Ukraine, opposed to the LGBTQXYZ perversion agenda, etc.

Anybody else have anything to share about Slovakia?

It looks like Robert Fico will make it.

"Good evening friends, I am speaking to you from a hospital in Banska Bystrica, where Prime Minister of Slovakia Robert Fico is currently undergoing surgery...

according to latest information from doctors, the surgery should be successful and the Prime Minister will be transferred for treatment and over the next 24 hours will be observed in an Intensive Care Unit and will receive Intensive care to ensure there will be no complications

All of us Slovaks who love Slovakia and who value the work of Prime Minister Robert Fico, are crossing our fingers and praying for his health."

"For Slovakia..."

Right wing parties win big.

You need to look at seats in parliament gained, rather than percentages.
In the end that's what really counts for wielding some form of power.
From that I can see the 2 main "right wing" parties gained something like only 12 seats compared to the last elections in 2019.
That's chump change, and means almost nothing.
A "big win" would mean something like 30 to 50 seats gained....not a measly 12.
Nothing will change.

Also turn out across Europe was something like 50 %, so only half of registered voters even bothered going to the polls.
More and more people realise that voting is just a "suggestion box" for the slave class.

Last edited:
I am not clear on the distinction between the EU parliament and the local national parliaments, as far as the way these elections work.

I had understood this was an election for the EU parliament, but each EU country seems to run the election with their internal parties. I read some articles that make it sound like there are multinational parties on the EU level, which form the various factions in the EU parliament itself. However, most of the articles talk about the parties in France, or Britain, or the other countries, which are unique to each country.

I think this vote is for the EU, but if a given national party does poorly in EU voting, then that party loses legitimacy in their current national legislature as well.

Can anybody shed some light on this interplay between EU level politics and the politics of the individual EU national parliaments? Does the EU parliament have parties that transcend the various national parties, or are all EU members elected as members of their local national parties?

EU elections are irrelevant. Nobody cares about them. They are normally a vote of protest against the current government. You cant make any assumption from them.

The elections which count are local and national. From local elections you can make some projections. Not EU.
Macron bitch wants out.

EU parliament is a communist facade. Without any democratic legitimacy and without powers. The comission is the body with some power. Specially tax.

National parties chose the people which are problematic but relevant, need more experience or who want a golden retirement to run for EU elections. National parties than occupy seats. And they form political families which are meaningless.

EU used to be based in a concept of subsidiarity. The power belonged to individual countries. And EU would be present as a last resort. But everything changed with the arrival of the ECB. Now its ECB who call the shots. They dictate national policies with the threat of interest rates or loans. Families who control ECB decide the policies.

EU administrative bodies are a gigantic pile of worseless shit.

The saying is the only good coming out of EU are brussels sprouts. All the rest is dog shit.

Schengen is ok if you like to travel.

Last edited:
I am not clear on the distinction between the EU parliament and the local national parliaments, as far as the way these elections work.

I had understood this was an election for the EU parliament, but each EU country seems to run the election with their internal parties. I read some articles that make it sound like there are multinational parties on the EU level, which form the various factions in the EU parliament itself. However, most of the articles talk about the parties in France, or Britain, or the other countries, which are unique to each country.
There's no single pan-European voting. Each EU country is given a number of seats in the EU parliament, proportional to its population size. To fill those seats, each country runs its own elections, with their own national parties competing. Those who win, will move to Brussels and join the factions in the EU parliament. Those factions are alliances between nation-level parties, for example the largest EU faction is the EPP which is an alliance between centrist parties such as German CDU, Polish PO and others - these allegiances are known, so people voting for their national party in the EU elections vote at the same time for the whole faction.

I think this vote is for the EU, but if a given national party does poorly in EU voting, then that party loses legitimacy in their current national legislature as well.

Can anybody shed some light on this interplay between EU level politics and the politics of the individual EU national parliaments? Does the EU parliament have parties that transcend the various national parties, or are all EU members elected as members of their local national parties?
Take France as an example. LePen's National Rally got twice as many votes as Macron's party, and will send the most MPs from France, but since Macron's party is a member of the Renew Europe faction (which is part of the rulling EU coalition) it will be Macron's MPs who will have more to say in the parliament. However Macron, loosing this badly, lost his face and his personal position will be weakened.

There are considerations that the queen of stuttering will be next.

German minister Baerbock rumoured as possible von der Leyen replacement
The German government is said to be actively considering whether or not to send a different Commissioner to Brussels following the European Parliament elections in June.
Yes, the EU definitely needs their great clueless Bacon of Hope!

1718032552306.webp

Eastern Germany is (mostly) AfD land, while in the West people vote as always.

Bildschirmfoto-zu-2024-06-10-17-11-49.png
Another take on it:
as if they never removed the iron curtain

This is a very good development across Europe, not that there is peace yet but I'm a bit less worried about WW3 now there is a hope which will might grow and defuse the nasty developments that America has caused in Europe.

Full text
The Netherlands is about to appoint a Jewish deputy prime minister who:

– was born in Israel
– worked for the Dutch division of the Israeli Likud party
– was suspected by the Dutch intelligence service of being a Mossad spy

Tiresome. Zionists have been working hard to gain influence over any populist movements emerging in Europe. We need nationalist movements free of any foreign spies or allegiances, is that too much to ask?

GP9D8cEWwAAfMXA
GP9D8cOWsAAgYro

GP9D8coWQAAKFzX

Back