Figure Skating

This is such a great sport for kids. Big improvements in balance, spatial awareness, and grace in only a couple months. We do a lot of off-ice work. Another big plus is lots of HS’d kids skate in the middle of the day and they are all very nice kids.
I took some figure skating classes in university. It was cheap and I always wanted to learn to skate so I figured why not. Surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) there were no other guys in the class of 15.

It turned out to be a lot of fun, especially when you learn to do some neat spins and tricks. You're also right that it definitely helps with your balance and coordination in just months. I'm still a clumsy oaf, but a little less so after that. Plus it's a good skill to have for the winter when other recreational activities might not be available and you don't want to break your legs or go bankrupt at a ski resort.

Not figure skating, ballet (didn't want to make a separate thread), but I love this performance... It is very technical which I love but, also, one of things about Balanchine was that the "corp" in ensembles wasn't so strict. In this piece each dancer is herself instead of performing straight choreography. Balanchine said that this ballet was inspired by an orange grove.

Back