Favorite Hymns

Isaiah 40:1 “Comfort, O comfort My people,” says your God. 2 “Speak to the heart of Jerusalem; And call out to her, that her warfare has been fulfilled, That her iniquity has been removed, That she has received from the hand of Yahweh Double for all her sins.” 3 A voice is calling, “Prepare the way for Yahweh in the wilderness; Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God. 4 Let every valley be lifted up, And every mountain and hill be made low; And let the rough ground become a plain, And the rugged terrain a broad valley; 5 Then the glory of Yahweh will be revealed, And all flesh will see it together; For the mouth of Yahweh has spoken.”
Hymns are a good study in themselves. Some of them have really good theology. If you read verse 4 literalistically, you would almost get an industrial sense in how we should subdue the earth and prepare it for God, and while that is true, the hymn senses something deeper, as it connects "making the rougher places plain" with the inner disposition of our hearts. It's like the hymn is saying that we prepare for God a way (or rather that we are being prepared for God) by straightening our hearts out, by mortifying our evil desires and embracing the Spirit to plant the good ones.

Last edited:

1The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good.
2The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men, To see if there are any who understand, Who seek after God.
3They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.
4Do all the workers of wickedness not know, Who eat up my people as they eat bread, And do not call upon the Lord?
5There they are in great dread, For God is with the righteous generation.
6You would put to shame the counsel of the afflicted, But the LORD is his refuge.
7Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion! When the LORD restores His captive people, Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.

Few of my favorites
1. Jesus Christ is Risen Today.
2. Hark the Harold Angels Sing
3. People Look East
4. Come now font of every blessing
5. Nearer My Heart to Thee
6. Bach's Version of a Mighty Fortress

Honorable mention: in the LBW, hymn 666 is titled "Fear Not the Foe" which I think is one of the best editorial decisions ever made by Cocordia. When my wife was a music director we picked it on a Sunday when we had a demonologist from the synod come which everyone found wonderfully picked. 😂

Last edited:
Back