• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Dress Shirts

Kamakura - amazing shirts from Japan, on par, price wise, with C.T. - check them out!
i checked their website and these look like something I would order, in twill or micro twill, I have a suit from Japan and now I know why they have a reputation for well made clothing.

I've gone in the opposite direction in middle age. Now that I work from home, I rarely wear anything but workout clothes and even wearing jeans feels like formalwear. Still, I've become a become fan of buying used clothing on eBay. You can often get things that cost hundreds of dollars new for 20% or 30% of the price. For example, I like Patagonia fleeces, which are often over $150 new for the modern stuff that's made somewhere in Asia. You can get used Patagona fleeces in great shape from when they were still made in the USA and far better quality for around $50 or even less on eBay.

Same for jeans, it's pretty easy to find Levis in good shape that were made in the USA in the late 20th century or fancier brands that are still made in the USA for $30 or $40 on eBay, whereas new jeans made in the USA would normally cost over $200.

You can filter for sellers who allow returns which is a good idea because it's impossible to tell how things will fit.

This is for the casual stuff I wear, but I imagine it would work for more dressy clothes too.

I've gone in the opposite direction in middle age. Now that I work from home, I rarely wear anything but workout clothes and even wearing jeans feels like formalwear. Still, I've become a become fan of buying used clothing on eBay. You can often get things that cost hundreds of dollars new for 20% or 30% of the price. For example, I like Patagonia fleeces, which are often over $150 new for the modern stuff that's made somewhere in Asia. You can get used Patagona fleeces in great shape from when they were still made in the USA and far better quality for around $50 or even less on eBay.

Same for jeans, it's pretty easy to find Levis in good shape that were made in the USA in the late 20th century or fancier brands that are still made in the USA for $30 or $40 on eBay, whereas new jeans made in the USA would normally cost over $200.

You can filter for sellers who allow returns which is a good idea because it's impossible to tell how things will fit.

This is for the casual stuff I wear, but I imagine it would work for more dressy clothes too.
I've found some snazzy threads from goodwill believe it or not.

Women will buy second hand designer clothes so it's not really any different.

I've found some snazzy threads from goodwill believe it or not.

Women will buy second hand designer clothes so it's not really any different.
For sure, you can find great things in thrift shops. One thing that helps is going to Goodwill or other second hand places that are adjacent to affluent neighborhoods. Some of those people get a new wardrobe every year or even every season and just drop off their "old" stuff at the local thrift shop.

Marshalls can be pretty good too, if you're in the US. I'm wearing a nice Nike workout top right now that I got there for $12, for example. They seem to have decent non-workout clothes too. I've even heard a few foreigners say that Marshalls is one of their favorite things in the US.

I bought a J. Ferrar (stretch slim) dress shirt at JC Penny a few years ago that I really like. Doesn't wrinkle like some of the other brands.

It's 92% polyester/ 8% spandex and made in Ethiopia.

Stafford is another brand I have. It's made with more cotton and less polyester.

Last edited:
I bought a J. Ferrar (stretch slim) dress shirt at JC Penny a few years ago that I really like. Doesn't wrinkle like some of the other brands.

It's 92% polyester/ 8% spandex and made in Ethiopia.

Stafford is another brand I have. It's made with more cotton and less polyester.

I don’t mind having a small percentage of spandex/elastane for some comfort. But I would stay away from synthetic fabric. Nothing upsets me more than polyester bed sheets.

Sheets I use Egyptian/Pima cotton. For clothes; cotton (Egyptian when possible), linen and wool.

I don’t mind having a small percentage of spandex/elastane for some comfort. But I would stay away from synthetic fabric. Nothing upsets me more than polyester bed sheets.

Sheets I use Egyptian/Pima cotton. For clothes; cotton (Egyptian when possible), linen and wool.
100% agree on natural fibers. Aside the fact that synthetics don’t breathe as well, polyester has been shown to lower sperm count in rat experiments (somehow they put underwear on rats…cotton had no negative affects).

100% agree on natural fibers. Aside the fact that synthetics don’t breathe as well, polyester has been shown to lower sperm count in rat experiments (somehow they put underwear on rats…cotton had no negative affects).
I wear polymer clothes all the time and I'm coming up on kid number 7... So either I'm just a freak of nature or that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I wear polymer clothes all the time and I'm coming up on kid number 7... So either I'm just a freak of nature or that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
I thought something similar...I love modern polyester and other synthetic fabrics. I find the good stuff breathes well and feels like silk. I mean the stuff they make higher end Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, Puma, Prana, etc. products out of. Cotton and other natural fabrics have their place, but imagine working out in them or wearing them all the time when it's hot.

I've also been wearing such stuff for decades and got my wife pregnant again recently. I don't like to say exactly how many kids I have but I'll say that we're past doing our part to replenish the Earth now. I too seriously doubt wearing quality workout clothes is going to prevent anyone from procreating.

I thought something similar...I love modern polyester and other synthetic fabrics. I find the good stuff breathes well and feels like silk. I mean the stuff they make higher end Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, Puma, Prana, etc. products out of. Cotton and other natural fabrics have their place, but imagine working out in them or wearing them all the time when it's hot.

I've also been wearing such stuff for decades and got my wife pregnant again recently. I don't like to say exactly how many kids I have but I'll say that we're past doing our part to replenish the Earth now. I too seriously doubt wearing quality workout clothes is going to prevent anyone from procreating.
The problem with the synthetics is the stink.

If you get some funk in it, it's a bitch to get out.

I’ve being wearing less casual since I passed 40. Any recommendation on good quality dress shirts that cost less than $100?

I use slim fit, spread collar (no tie) and prefer Egyptian cotton (or PIMA) over different fabrics. I also avoid the thin ones where your nipple can be seen.

Any brand you guys could recommend? I heard Charles Tyrwhitt is great and I ordered 3 shirts from $115 (on discount). Will see if they’re good.

- Kenneth Cole: awesome fit. Unfortunately not 100% cotton.
- Calvin Klein: I bought 4 of the same model and they had different fit. Some great, other horrible.
- Hugo Boss: very nice quality. Too expensive.

I heard Suit Supply has good ones. They start at $115.

Any brand you guys could recommend? A tailored suit makes a difference. Is it necessary for a dress shirt?

I buy used. Falconable hold up pretty well, I think they are made by Nordstrom . Try eBay, buy from sellers with good fb

I also don’t think polyester will cause health side effects but it is not breathable and I don’t like enshitification. Be it software, food and clothes.

Look at Armani. Used to be a known brand for quality and now you’ll see polyester (low quality fabric) T-shirt with a HUGE logo (size of the whole chest) so the poor loser can act like a peacock showing he is wearing an expensive garment.

Decades ago a black man would put a bunch of gold around his neck to show he is not a peasant. It was easy to spot fake or low-grade gold.
Now you’ll see everybody using garbage-grade clothing that’s cheap to produce (low quality fabric like polyester) and a horrible fit (too baggy).

The rant is about brands getting away with charging a lot for a low quality product and getting away with it. Be it a Balenciaga $800 sneakers (that look like socks) and many sports brands.

Slightly OT, but Jockey now produces cotton white undershirts in the US.
I have some older shirts Made in USA from well over a decade ago and they look new. I've bought "nice looking" modern stuff and it falls apart in a couple of years sometimes.

The only problem with the Jockey shirts is the price made it very difficult to justify, particularly for something that is essentially underwear that you are eventually going to toss. I pay good money for nice European shirts that are visible to others and will last a lifetime (though I barely wear dress clothes anymore) but for a cotton undershirt it's hard to justify spending 4x as much and wondering.. is it REALLY going to last 4x as long? And do I even need / want it to?

Which, of course, is why they are all made overseas now.
I also seriously doubt the quality of the Made in USA shirt is as good as it was in the past, but I could be wrong.

Actually the price difference online looks much more reasonable. I was shopping in one of their outlet stores last year and the USA shirt was much more expensive. Maybe no one bought it and they have cut costs on it.

$15

$ 10

While country of production matters (I like Italy, Turkey, Portugal and Sweden), year of production is probably a much bigger factor. I bought a vintage Burberry overcoat / raincoat off ebay and that thing is so thick and well made I could take it into the battle of Kursk and comfortably sleep in the snow. By contrast, the Burberry of today is a fashion brand.

Back