• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Dress Shirts

Joost

Other Christian
Heirloom
I’ve being wearing less casual since I passed 40. Any recommendation on good quality dress shirts that cost less than $100?

I use slim fit, spread collar (no tie) and prefer Egyptian cotton (or PIMA) over different fabrics. I also avoid the thin ones where your nipple can be seen.

Any brand you guys could recommend? I heard Charles Tyrwhitt is great and I ordered 3 shirts from $115 (on discount). Will see if they’re good.

- Kenneth Cole: awesome fit. Unfortunately not 100% cotton.
- Calvin Klein: I bought 4 of the same model and they had different fit. Some great, other horrible.
- Hugo Boss: very nice quality. Too expensive.

I heard Suit Supply has good ones. They start at $115.

Any brand you guys could recommend? A tailored suit makes a difference. Is it necessary for a dress shirt?

Last edited:
The Hugo boss are expensive for a reason, they will last 5x longer than any of the other brands and will still look new and fresh.

I like to buy mine at Abercrombie and Fitch. Their dress shirts run on the slim side without any pleats on the back which I like because of the slimmer look.

I like Jcrew button downs/oxfords. I bought a medium slim fit shirt ten years ago I still wear today. I think it was around $60, probably closer to $80 now.

Charles Tyrwhitt is the best. You can set your neck size, sleeve size, and if you get extra slim fit they usually fit well on an athletic/lean physique. If you buy 4 shirts at once then you pay around 50-60$ per shirt. Once you go CT, you won't go back to any other brand. The only better shirts would be tailored shirts (my recommendation would be somewhere like Lord's Tailor in Kuala Lumpur, if you get measured once they keep your measurements and you can order whatever you want at a later date, costs around 100$ per shirt).

Seconded on Jos. A. Bank. You won't break the bank with their dress shirts and they're of good quality and have a good fit. Plus, their style is better looking than most other dress shirts I've seen.
Just bought 5 from them this past week also.

I buy a lot of Cinch Brand Dress shirts also in the more exotic clothes market.

They go well with my Elephant Skin Lucchessee boots.

I checked some brands mentioned here. Many don't offer much information about the fabric which is as important as the fit.

The only one I found that gives even the exact weight of the fabric (g/m2) is Suit Supply (custom made). But then it's $170. A little hefty but I might buy one out of curiosity.

Jos A Bank has one 96% cotton, 4% spandex which interest me since I'm in good shape.

I'll post an update when I receive my Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. Let's hope it's a good "batch".

Do any of you get your collar shirts tailored? I have a very short torso and long legs so when going casual either with shorts, slacks or jeans my preference is to wear my shirt untucked so it proportions my body more evenly. Problem is most of the shirts that fit me are too long and then it looks really sloppy untucked. Just wondering any suggestions on tailoring (or specialty short length shirts) without breaking the bank.

JosA Banks ....
For those of us still buying off the rack, Jos A Banks is surprisingly good quality. Maybe a level down from what OP is thinking about -- but I know people who run businesses where everyone still wears business attire and needs to look good among all sorts of clients, and JAB is first on the list for wardrobe needs for young employees. If I needed to get a full scope of business and business-casual attire and needed to be prudent about it, this is where I would go.

I bought Charles Tyrwhitt. Egyptian 100% Cotton, plain, twill. Made in Vietnam. It was $100 for 3 shirts + shipping ($15).

It's supposed to be mid weight. My opinion? For $35 dress shirt, it is a good price. Spectacular? Not in my opinion.

- I dislike the plaid (where the buttons are) because it's visible. Not all CT shirts are like that but I couldn't see in the pictures before ordering.
- Cuffs. I bought an extra-slim and the cuff is too thick. Usually shirts will have two buttons so you can adjust the size. I use the tighter on my right arm and the wider for my left for the wristwatch.
- It's mid-weight but still see-through.

They're not bad. It's just that I was expecting more. Maybe I will enjoy the linen ones for summer.

I bought Charles Tyrwhitt. Egyptian 100% Cotton, plain, twill. Made in Vietnam. It was $100 for 3 shirts + shipping ($15).

It's supposed to be mid weight. My opinion? For $35 dress shirt, it is a good price. Spectacular? Not in my opinion.

- I dislike the plaid (where the buttons are) because it's visible. Not all CT shirts are like that but I couldn't see in the pictures before ordering.
- Cuffs. I bought an extra-slim and the cuff is too thick. Usually shirts will have two buttons so you can adjust the size. I use the tighter on my right arm and the wider for my left for the wristwatch.
- It's mid-weight but still see-through.

They're not bad. It's just that I was expecting more. Maybe I will enjoy the linen ones for summer.
Did you get poplin? Or twill? They offer different types of fabrics (patterns/weaves) that each have their own weight. Tw

I don't recommend anything from CT other than the plain/solid white or color shirts. Anything with a pattern is going to look like a badly done print, generally. Twill is thicker than poplin. Poplin has been see-through, in my experience, but not twill. They also have thicker weaves than twill, but I haven't tested them.

Did you get poplin? Or twill? They offer different types of fabrics (patterns/weaves) that each have their own weight. Tw

I don't recommend anything from CT other than the plain/solid white or color shirts. Anything with a pattern is going to look like a badly done print, generally. Twill is thicker than poplin. Poplin has been see-through, in my experience, but not twill. They also have thicker weaves than twill, but I haven't tested them.

I got twill and white. I bought Calvin Klein for the same price, 5 years ago and I prefer them.

I've tried many button down shirts. My main gripe is the baggy armpits, and loose fit in the waist of most shirts under $100, even so called slim fit.

By far the best fitting, best looking shirts I own are made by Barba (Barba Napoli). The shoulder fit, waist, and chest fit like a well fitting suit - no bunching, good quality cotton (not see thru like so many well known brands have fallen to), soft/comfortable, mother of pearl buttons. Scour eBay and you can get them ~$120.

The last button before the collar is also perfectly placed - not too "buttoned up" but not ridiculously open for business casual.

I have one gripe and that is the barrel cuffs are too small for a watch to go under. Can be modified or add a button extender.

If you are relatively in shape, in this shirt you will look like a James Bond amid 90% of guys wearing typical American shirt tents.

Last edited:
Just bought 5 from them this past week also.

I buy a lot of Cinch Brand Dress shirts also in the more exotic clothes market.

They go well with my Elephant Skin Lucchessee boots.
I always figured you as a "meat and potatoes" guy. I would've never guessed you were so particular with your clothing choices.

Back