Does your priest speak on SIN & the DEVIL?

paternos

Catholic
Heritage
I have noticed something interesting and problematic.

In my area, some of the priests avoid directly speaking about sin and the devil.

They resort to euphemisms like "you did something wrong," "you feel that's not right," or "something else influenced you instead of doing a good thing."

It seems they are evading the topic. I asked one of them: Why don't you talk about sin and the devil?

He responded that people dislike hearing about it, as it makes them feel uncomfortable. I suspect they might fear it would drive people away from the church.

Conversely, we have priests who frequently address sin and the devil in every homily. These priests are held in high regard and are deeply respected by many.

If you don't acknowledge the devil and his tool, sin, you won't be able to recognize them.

Have you observed something similar? What's behind this phenomenon?

At the Orthodox Church I've been visiting for a few months the priest gave one of his most evangelical and memorable homilies when he talked about the dangers of taking the Eucharist when you aren't worthy. He also talked about the different kinds of fear people experience when they come to God. He usually doesn't give messages like that, but I wish he did.

I witnessed the same thing in Roman and Protestant churches. Ministers and Priests don't like to talk about sin and the dangers of sin. Sometimes I wished I lived in the South where I could hear some fire and brimstone!

In an Oriental Orthodox Church last Sunday, the priest talked extensively about the dark, the evil, and the attempts of them entering our minds and hearts.

Interestingly, he specifically mentioned women being highly vulnerable for letting the dark and evil camp in their minds. He concluded with an address and a reminder to women for their main focus must be raising Christian children and beside their husbands.

In my area, some of the priests avoid directly speaking about sin and the devil.

They resort to euphemisms like "you did something wrong," "you feel that's not right," or "something else influenced you instead of doing a good thing."

Seems like they've moved to "the measure is yourself", not God.

He responded that people dislike hearing about it, as it makes them feel uncomfortable. I suspect they might fear it would drive people away from the church.

People want a therapeutic religion. Which is the religion of this world. Christ asks us to take up our cross. And this is done very simply, usually, by honesty looking at ourselves (which is uncomfortable to really do that) and then, to repent. This is very difficult and it is ongoing.

Conversely, we have priests who frequently address sin and the devil in every homily. These priests are held in high regard and are deeply respected by many.

I bet they are courageous and seem manly as well. It's inspiring. Whenever I see a priest or hear one I've begun to ask myself: does he seem like he'd be a good dad? From there it's usually very easy to predict his general positions.

If you don't acknowledge the devil and his tool, sin, you won't be able to recognize them.

Have you observed something similar? What's behind this phenomenon?

If you don't acknowledge the devil (and sin) you already don't have the frame of reference given by God and your only measure will be yourself, something the devil wanted us to do in the first place. We are living out the story in the garden.

Seems like they've moved to "the measure is yourself", not God.

People want a therapeutic religion. Which is the religion of this world. Christ asks us to take up our cross. And this is done very simply, usually, by honesty looking at ourselves (which is uncomfortable to really do that) and then, to repent. This is very difficult and it is ongoing.

I bet they are courageous and seem manly as well. It's inspiring. Whenever I see a priest or hear one I've begun to ask myself: does he seem like he'd be a good dad? From there it's usually very easy to predict his general positions.

If you don't acknowledge the devil (and sin) you already don't have the frame of reference given by God and your only measure will be yourself, something the devil wanted us to do in the first place. We are living out the story in the garden.

You break it down well.

"the measure is yourself"

That's it, we don't look at ourselves through God's eyes, as that's uncomfortable to say the least. I'm a sinner and this keeps feeling very uncomfortable.

I bet they are courageous and seem manly as well.
They do, maybe this is what courage means, looking at ourself through Gods eyes. And that's bleak and that humbles. And in that we can find freedom.

Amen. 100%

That's it a frame of reference.

By not speaking on "hell, the devil and sin" I feel the faithful lack a frame a reference.

It's as if you are on the highway and a truck is diving right to you, and your passenger denies the existence of the truck.
Or it's like the ditch next to the road, and by not speaking on it the people keep driving in it.

Will fully blind.

The priests that talk about the devil know we are in holy war. They have the energy. The passion.

Those that use euphemisms run out of energy.

We can see the holy spirit in action here.

I can understand a local parish priest using euphemisms, honestly.

Men and women today are EXTREMELY brainwashed and traumatized. There's a very large minefield of Christian teachings that 95% of the population will have very extreme emotional reactions to, and to a large extent, it's not their fault.

Mentions of the devil and sin are, for a lot of people, going to be like some kind of brainwashing trigger word. That's just what happens to the human psyche after decades of hearing things along the lines of "heh heh, le sky daddy amirite? Blaming everything on the devil? Heh, silly Christians lmao how irrational" in every TV show, every social media platform, and on the mouth of everyone that is presented to the masses as a "wise man" including scientists, comedians, actors, pundits and so on. Their parents made no attempt to raise their children Christian or pass on any traditions or teachings to them, so these people just absorbed all of that filth like sponges since they were children.

Just think for a second about the kind of reaction a normie will have if you say something very basic and totally biblical like "witchcraft is bad." They get flashbacks of all the movies, books and other media they've seen depicting totally innocent women being gruesomely killed by heckin' cruel Christian fanatics who just believe this stuff with no heckin' evidencerino. That's decades of brainwashing at play.

Obviously, the kind of man who seeks out a forum like this is usually going to be a man who wants to hear talk of fire and brimstone and be rebuked and corrected by men wiser than him. And you will hear those fiery words you're looking for from people like monastics or Saints. But you need to understand that the overwhelming majority of people are not ready for this, and I think parish priests get a pass for trying to slowly ease these broken people into Christianity, especially if it's a parish in a Sodom-style sin city, which this world is thoroughly riddled with today.

Many good priests know that this minefield exists and they're just trying to navigate it, and I'm sure if you get to know them and it becomes clear to them that you not only can handle raw, blunt truth, but that you in fact need it and are seeking it, they'll change the way they speak to you accordingly.

Of course, some priests can go too far and start totally accepting/promoting evil things, and NEVER making any mention of the devil even indirectly, which just does not lead anywhere at all. Not anywhere good, at least. But if he's just trying to ease them in slowly, using euphemisms, and there is actually progress being made over the years, and he starts giving them higher "doses" of truth when he thinks they're ready, I think it's commendable for a priest to give that a shot. There is a balance to be struck here, I think.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here and someone who is not ready to hear talk of devils and sins and eternal hellfire and unfathomable terrible worms that never die, simply does not belong in the Church. Maybe it will make their ultimate fate worse, to see and hear the truth and still reject it. But, you know, I used to be a total "feminist ally" fag. I had 6-digit karma on Reddit. I spoke in favor of abortion and homosexuality and I blasphemed and acted like a madman. I feel for the modern man and I want him to have a chance to stand tall before the horrors, and to live forever. God gave me a chance. God gave me many. He keeps giving them to me.

In the Protestant churches I've been to, they call the devil, "the enemy." Never do they refer to him as the devil, Lucifer, or Satan. Just...the enemy.

I hate this because it sounds like that soft language that Libtards use. Like you can't refer to retarded people as retards. You have to say mentally challenged or some bullsh*t like that.

In the Protestant churches I've been to, they call the devil, "the enemy." Never do they refer to him as the devil, Lucifer, or Satan. Just...the enemy.

I hate this because it sounds like that soft language that Libtards use. Like you can't refer to retarded people as retards. You have to say mentally challenged or some bullsh*t like that.
Satan is not a name, it is a word that can be translated literally as "enemy."

In the Psalter, demons are frequently alluded to as the enemy. Though the reading may literally be referring to men, there is a double meaning here.

For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath humbled my life down to the earth. (142:3)
Above mine enemies hast Thou made me wise in Thy commandment, for it is mine for ever. (118:98)
When mine enemy be turned back, they shall grow weak and shall perish before Thy face (9:3)
O Lord, guide me in the way of Thy righteousness; because of mine enemies, make straight my way before Thee. (5:7)

Many good priests know that this minefield exists and they're just trying to navigate it,

Spot on.

and I'm sure if you get to know them and it becomes clear to them that you not only can handle raw, blunt truth, but that you in fact need it and are seeking it, they'll change the way they speak to you accordingly.

And this I am doubting, I have got to know them quite well, and on a personal level all fine, whatever I say, they sacrifice their life for Christ, do the sacraments.

But.. Also in private it influences.

I think it could be that mans always tries to be congruent, the wants to be the same person everywhere, those that speak in euphemisms in sermons also take that in their normal talking.

It seems they don't like the Christ on the cross as much as the risen Christ, they like the loving Christ better than the Christ that says to Peter "get behind me Satan", they like the Christ that says"turn the other cheek" and don't like the Christ that takes the whip.

Christ is all of this.

I have a need for Truth, you're right.

And I feel traumatized (to use a nice secular world) for the largest part of my life I thought Christ was loser singing in a musical, this supposed God was a lazy guy hanging in the cloud, and the devil was either a cartoon or just a cool guy having "fun".

Now learning about Christ, about God, I discover that my image was totally wrong. Totally.

And I feel that if you would have talked to the 16 year old me about the full Christ. I would have loved it.

It's not a dialectic position, "fire and brimstone" or "love" as some make it seem. It's both and what in between.

It's like cutting of a guy's balls. Speaking in Euphemisms is not what a man should do, it leads the sheep astray.

Christ says: "A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also."

And I feel and see many men desire it, this absolute Truth, the Truth that can be touched but never held. As we can never fully understand God.

A good example are girlfriends (not leading to marriage in celibacy), this is so normal nowadays but against teaching and I know how destructive it is.

I think the "euphemistic" priests knows. But it's hard to speak the truth. They are happy that young couple sits there. Better tone it down a bit..

It's all so understandable, but isn't it the snake that tells us to tone down a bit, and then what the next week speak the truth?

In my experience it's a road, you either try to lovingly tell the Truth or you take the way of least resistance, of euphemisms, to not stir up
Maybe I'm totally wrong here and someone who is not ready to hear talk of devils and sins and eternal hellfire and unfathomable terrible worms that never die, simply does not belong in the Church. Maybe it will make their ultimate fate worse, to see and hear the truth and still reject it. But, you know, I used to be a total "feminist ally" fag. I had 6-digit karma on Reddit. I spoke in favor of abortion and homosexuality and I blasphemed and acted like a madman. I feel for the modern man and I want him to have a chance to stand tall before the horrors, and to live forever. God gave me a chance. God gave me many. He keeps giving them to me.

I know a great priest here, and I joined a "youth mass", with young people singing modern songs. (liberal catholics you could say)

The priest talked on sin, on repentance, on confession, on forgiveness, on being home, on the devil, on love.

I spoke with a few, the kids loved it.

This intrigues me, as most priests seem to think kids desire a toned down version of the truth.

And in my experience it's the opposite, kids want the Truth, desire it. They feel the energy of it. See it.

I think it's in our minds only, it's just the snake, that tells you "you can't say that, they won't understand you". Don't they really?

By speaking in euphemisms I think we become sinners ourself.

Most Antiochian orthodox Priests I've seen in sermons will openly discuss Satan or sin. I have a feeling that certain denominations, such as Catholics or Greek Orthodox, may be a bit softer depending on where you go. For example, I said "most" Antiochian priests will have the occasional sermon about sin or Satan (if it relates to the Biblical reading of the day), but I know of a very liberal parish and rarely have I heard Satan discussed there although I do not attend there every week so I may have missed it. Likewise Catholics will have conservative parishes or liberal ones, but Catholics tend to skew liberal so it probably reflects in the sermons to a great degree.

But I've had priests openly discuss, "Many are called but few are chosen," which is Jesus's teaching that most humans go to hell. I am usually very satisfied with the sermons I hear.

Kids are based. They are the ones who will say "You are fat", or "That's a man in a dress". They can handle the truth better than most adults precisely because they haven't had the leftist brainwashing yet.

Ephesians 6:12 and 1 Peter 5:8 among other verses makes the challenge quite plain, and it seems rather irresponsible not to teach this as a starting point. Greatest trick the devil ever pulled and all that...with many churches happy to go along with the deception. Imagine finding out that a murderer had escaped from prison and was after your life, but the authorities refused to tell you so you didn't feel bad or worry too much. You'd be furious when you found out.

When I was attending CofE for 30 years (pre blasphemous era), the sermons were always rather wishy-washy because he didn't want to drive anyone away. New church has much longer and deeper sermons, much meatier and I appreciate and learn much more.

I think the cultural attitude of Jesus being a hippie just saying "peace and love, man" along with the perception of Christians being Ned Flanders who passively get walked over does us no favours. If only they knew of the war we are in.

Back