• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Deacon Ananias Vs. Matt Slick: Sola Scriptura

Obviously I'm not saying that the canon is ahistorical, you asked for attestations to the canon which I gave you, then you said that doesn't count cause it's not the exact 76 book canon we have today (only the exact NT canon we have today), and I didn't have time to dig into the matter any deeper at that time. Happy to look into this further for my own education.
The councils that you cited are evidence that there was a variance in recognizing what was considered canonical. This means that "the Church declared these 76 books to be canonical, therefore, we gave you the Bible." has no basis in historical reality.

Where are you getting "God-Breathed" and its cited meaning & application from?
I just told you. 2 Tim 3:16. Paul calls all Scripture God-Breathed, able to make the man of God complete in teaching, rebuking, correcting, training in righteousness. God-Breathed is known as a hapax legomenon, it occurs in the text only once, meaning that only the Scriptures are ever defined as God-Breathed.

I'm not saying that St. Paul's opinion isn't authoritative, I'm saying that St. Paul himself distinguished that some advice and opinions he gave were not "of the Spirit". His words not mine.
I recognize that. But your question was how do I put that in the same category as the writings of the Prophets and Apostles. My answer is that the Church is built on the Prophets and Apostles. I don't understand your application, should we remove Paul's commendation from Scripture? Or should we recognize it as authoritative because it is contained in Scripture?

How do *you* believe the canon of the Bible was formed, and please cite and show me how it was formed, by who, and when.
In the words of the Apostle Peter, "Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." The Canon is a product of Divine Inspiration. All 66 books that were inspired were immediately authoritative from the moment of inscripturation, whether men recognized them as such or not.

Do you think that God stopped speaking through and working through man with his Holy Spirit after the Apostles died out? i.e. Do you believe that the branches of Christ the true Vine were severed and that every man must independently graft themselves on through study of Scripture?
Divine Revelation certainly ceased with Revelation. That doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit was not working through the Church to this very day. But I recognize that God, through the Apostles, gave the Scriptures to the Church to be their ultimate authority.

Do you believe that the Apostles taught nothing more than what is preserved in their writings in the NT?
I do not believe they authoritatively taught anything contrary to what they wrote, nor do I believe anyone can verify an Apostolic Tradition outside of the Scriptures, which are the true Apostolic Tradition.

I don't ignore that at all. I'm proud of the fact that Protestants translated the Bible into the common tongues and used the printing press to distribute it worldwide.

What about the 1500 years before that? How did sola scriptura work as a practical matter if there were no bibles except for the scant few held in churches?

God, working through the hands of faithful men, inspired them to writes the scriptures. Further, He then acted to ensure that the early church clearly recognized these works as special and declared them as Biblical canon. Once established, this Biblical canon was set in stone and not to be changed or tampered with. It is the Word of God, a permanent, unchanging record and instruction manual for all those who believe.

There is a reason we put things in writing to begin with, and there is a reason that the Biblical texts are so miraculously well-preserved when compared to other ancient writings. It's always been part of God's plan and design. We have the Bible to keep us on track. It's inevitable that the teachings of men will drift and change with the times, especially over the centuries, but the Bible remains unchanging. If your faith stands in accord with what is taught in the Bible, then you know you're in a good place. It is the unchanging measuring stick of Christianity.

Tradition is good, tradition is helpful, but tradition cannot replace or even stand on par with the Biblical text, simply because the traditions of man can and do change over time (i.e. consider the contentious history of icons in the Church). But God is unchanging, and so is His Word.

The bolded is Holy Tradition in action. So as Orthodox we hold that there is no reason to believe that God acting through His Church is this way is limited to a one-and-done action.

It's not a question of tradition replacing, challenging, or superseding Scripture, it's the reality that tradition provided Scripture, by God's will and guidance as you say, and that part of that tradition as well is correct interpretation of Scripture. See St. Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch: he reads Scripture, but he cannot correctly understand it without a spiritual father filled with the Holy Spirit to guide him. And to be clear, this isn't to say that a man can gain nothing studying Scripture by himself, of course he can, but we have guidance in the form of the Church to illuminate us. Me reading the Bible alone led to me becoming an atheist... me reading the Bible together with the wisdom of the Church and the Holy Fathers made me a servant of Christ.

The councils that you cited are evidence that there was a variance in recognizing what was considered canonical. This means that "the Church declared these 76 books to be canonical, therefore, we gave you the Bible." has no basis in historical reality.

Okay so I'm seeing there's a miscommunication here, I wasn't trying to argue that wasn't a variance in the early formation of the canon, and I'm certainly not trying to say that "we gave you" the Bible because, presuming you are not Orthodox or Roman Catholic, the "you" of your church did not exist at the time the Biblical canon was formed.

I just told you. 2 Tim 3:16. Paul calls all Scripture God-Breathed, able to make the man of God complete in teaching, rebuking, correcting, training in righteousness. God-Breathed is known as a hapax legomenon, it occurs in the text only once, meaning that only the Scriptures are ever defined as God-Breathed.

Forgive me if I overlooked something you wrote I've been trying to keep up with this in a pretty busy day, I find it a fascinating topic so doing my best. It seems you're using a translation that I'm not familiar with, nor am I familiar with a hapax legomenon, I will read up on this. But many many other times in the Scriptures, prophets priests and apostles are shown being filled with the Spirit of God and speaking for Him... how is this distinct from this description of the Scriptures? 2 Timothy doesn't say that ONLY the Scriptures are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. Should the listeners to Moses, Elijah et al. have protested and said that only the written Scriptures are truly God-breathed?

I recognize that. But your question was how do I put that in the same category as the writings of the Prophets and Apostles. My answer is that the Church is built on the Prophets and Apostles. I don't understand your application, should we remove Paul's commendation from Scripture? Or should we recognize it as authoritative because it is contained in Scripture?

I'm going to skip past this because I'm not even sure what the point is in contention is & it doesn't seem terribly pertinent.

In the words of the Apostle Peter, "Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." The Canon is a product of Divine Inspiration. All 66 books that were inspired were immediately authoritative from the moment of inscripturation, whether men recognized them as such or not.

This is a key point. What is this assertion based on? You seem to be saying "The Canon is the Canon because they are the Canon." I asked you: "show me how the canon was formed, by who, and when." A very similar question that you asked me, which led to me presenting you with some information about the early Church & the canon. You're didn't answer any component of this question other than saying "men + Holy Spirit".

Divine Revelation certainly ceased with Revelation. That doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit was not working through the Church to this very day. But I recognize that God, through the Apostles, gave the Scriptures to the Church to be their ultimate authority.

I do not believe they authoritatively taught anything contrary to what they wrote, nor do I believe anyone can verify an Apostolic Tradition outside of the Scriptures, which are the true Apostolic Tradition.

Agreed on your first points here. As to the bolded, why can we not verify apostolic tradition? Christ describes Himself as the Vine, and His people (from the Apostles, to the Gentiles to come, etc.) as the branches that grow from Him. Those branches founded His Church as described in Acts. Do you believe that this Vine, Christ's appointment via the Holy Spirit that the Apostles were sent to spread, was severed, lost, made unknown, corrupted or otherwise is discontinuous between the time of Christ and now?

God, working through the hands of faithful men, inspired them to writes the scriptures. Further, He then acted to ensure that the early church clearly recognized these works as special and declared them as Biblical canon. Once established, this Biblical canon was set in stone and not to be changed or tampered with. It is the Word of God, a permanent, unchanging record and instruction manual for all those who believe.
The bolded is Holy Tradition in action. So as Orthodox we hold that there is no reason to believe that God acting through His Church is this way is limited to a one-and-done action.
Even if it were true that the early church "declared" the Biblical canon, you still have not yet provided the "tradition" of when that was. It never happened. There was a variance of recognition in what the Apostles had wrote; no tradition, no 76 book canon, no declaration.

Me reading the Bible alone led to me becoming an atheist... me reading the Bible together with the wisdom of the Church and the Holy Fathers made me a servant of Christ.
What you win them with is what you win them to. I think we should be careful to define the truth of God based off of personal experience.

Okay so I'm seeing there's a miscommunication here, I wasn't trying to argue that wasn't a variance in the early formation of the canon, and I'm certainly not trying to say that "we gave you" the Bible because, presuming you are not Orthodox or Roman Catholic, the "you" of your church did not exist at the time the Biblical canon was formed.
None of those categories existed at the time of Biblical inscripturation. You're telling me the Apostles preached Essence-Energies Distinction and Toll Houses? What is Apostolic is defined by the Scriptures that were written by the Apostles. Just as Catholicism, by their own admission, developed in their own way. So too did your church develop in it's own way after it schismed. Even your canon is an evidence of that fact. The Reformation recognized that non-biblical accruence had occurred over time and went back to the true Apostolic Tradition, the Scriptures.

2 Timothy doesn't say that ONLY the Scriptures are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
I noticed you removed the clause about making the man of God "complete." It doesn't need to say 'only the Scriptures' if it doesn't refer to anything else as God-Breathed.

This is a key point. What is this assertion based on? You seem to be saying "The Canon is the Canon because they are the Canon." I asked you: "show me how the canon was formed, by who, and when." A very similar question that you asked me, which led to me presenting you with some information about the early Church & the canon. You're didn't answer any component of this question other than saying "men + Holy Spirit".
The Canon, as a product of Divine Inspiration, is self-attesting. You either believe it is the Word of God as the Apostles did, or you subjugate it to traditions of men that never occurred in history.

As to the bolded, why can we not verify apostolic tradition?
How are you going to verify if a tradition is Apostolic, by ignoring what the Apostles themselves wrote?

Do you believe that this Vine, Christ's appointment via the Holy Spirit that the Apostles were sent to spread, was severed, lost, made unknown, corrupted or otherwise is discontinuous between the time of Christ and now?
No church is infallible. God has left the infallible standard to always correct the church. Looking at our modern church and anachronistically imposing that on church history, despite all evidence to the contrary, is a perfect example of why we need to return to the Scriptures as God's given authority.

The Canon, as a product of Divine Inspiration, is self-attesting. You either believe it is the Word of God as the Apostles did, or you subjugate it to traditions of men that never occurred in history.

Right, so you have no answer, you're trying to get me to do your history homework on the Church's development of the Canon (to apparently prove a claim that I never made) while you get to say "the Canon is the Canon because it is the Canon" and call it a day. Self-attestation, if it can be said to be a coherent claim in any way, is a subjective, personal experience of the reader which is something you warned against yourself in your same post.

Scripture is the written & inspired message of God but Christ Himself transcends Scripture, unfathomably so, as the true Word of God, the Logos, and Christ may reveal Himself through Scripture yes, but also through His Church, through His worship, through His prayer, through his angels, or directly to the human nous without any of the above. If you can't see that a Scripture is an incredible gift from God, yet far from the only tool He gave us to connect & unite with Him, then I don't believe I can say anything further that is constructive.

2 Corinthians 3:

3 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some others, epistles of commendation to you or letters of commendation from you? 2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart.

4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Self-attestation, if it can be said to be a coherent claim in any way, is a subjective, personal experience of the reader which is something you warned against yourself in your same post.
God Himself is self-attesting. There is no greater reason or authority for believing in God other than God Himself. The second you make something else that authority is the second you believe in something greater than God. You've mentioned Jay Dyer hasn't nailed down Orthodox-TAG yet. It is because TAG was originally formulated by Reformed Christians who recognized the self-attestation of Scripture and it only makes sense in that schema. The Scriptures as God's infallible, inerrant Word cannot be measured by any higher standard, because there is no higher standard. Believing that the Church is self-attesting is easily refuted by looking at the history, which is why you haven't been able to produce the "tradition" of when they canonized the Bible. The "traditions" are all made up and read back into the history.

Scripture is the written & inspired message of God but Christ Himself transcends Scripture, unfathomably so, as the true Word of God, the Logos, and Christ may reveal Himself through Scripture yes, but also through His Church, through His worship, through His prayer, through his angels, or directly to the human nous without any of the above. If you can't see that a Scripture is an incredible gift from God, yet far from the only tool He gave us to connect & unite with Him, then I don't believe I can say anything further that is constructive.
I don't pit God against His own Word. Declaring your church to possess the same authority as God's Inspired-Word is not a position I would want to place myself in.

God Himself is self-attesting. There is no greater reason or authority for believing in God other than God Himself. The second you make something else that authority is the second you believe in something greater than God.

Yeah it's weird because this is just what you're doing with Scripture.

I don't pit God against His own Word. Declaring your church to possess the same authority as God's Inspired-Word is not a position I would want to place myself in.
You could say that I'm pitting God against His Word and putting men equal to God, conversely I could say that you are fashioning an idol out of words on paper, but we'd both be wrong wouldn't we? I can't really imagine thinking that God abandoned His Church though. I have to agree to disagree on that.

There was no immediate universal tradition for accepting all local letters, St. Paul wrote them to specific churches and they organically became universally known. It is accepted, because each local church held the tradition of reading their letters, and eventually they were accepted universally.

Nobody's saying there was a 76 book canon in the early church, and if that were necessary, God would have made it happen. The argument is that The Orthodox Church's organic preservation of the scriptures and eventually organization is what allows us to have The Bible today.

Prophets were a class of Christians in the early church, The Apostles weren't the only ones whom God used as mouthpieces. Scripture at its core means sacred writings. A canon of scripture doesn't mean that there aren't other writings that have a holy purpose.

When St. Paul mentions scripture, he's speaking of the Old Testament. Not every Christian during that time had access to every single epistle, and not even every single Gospel, in that case. The Orthodox argue for an organic canon, not innovative, but not instant either.

The Toll Houses doctrine stems from the spiritual reality that Christians acknowledge. It is simple true, it doesn't have to be in scripture. Why did St. Paul pray for Onesiphorus after Onesiphorus had already fallen asleep in The Lord? Where was Lazarus before Christ raised him from the dead? He could have been in heaven, but clearly the final judgement doesn't happen until the last day, as Lazarus died, and before the last judgement, he came back on earth.

The Didache is not canonized scripture, because of the above doctrine: The Church didn't see that it was necessary to put it into the canon. We're ok with that, if we weren't we would have canonized it. The Council of Trullo which I mentioned earlier also mentions writings that are holy that are more accessible to bishops and monks in the same paragraph as the liturgical/law, prophet, wisdom, chronicles, gospel and epistle canon.
If you say that if an Apostle writes something, it must be part of a specific canon rather than just accepted: that's your presupposition, not a fundamental Christian presupposition or something which The Apostles themselves taught or even wrote.
Did you know that there were 70 other apostles? Why don't we have a writing from at least one of them? Why don't we have scripture from St. Thomas?

Paul wrote a letter to the church at Laodicea mentioned in Colossians 4:16. In 1 Corinthians St. Paul mentions that he had already written a letter to the Corinthians. That means we don't have it. Why aren't those letters scripture in your canon if the entire criteria in the age of The Church for scripture is that it was written by an Apostle, and there can be no holy writings or oral teaching which speaks of things outside of our known epistles? Saint Paul also wrote an epistle that we don't have today in which he expounds upon his thorn in the flesh. His thorn in the flesh was an eye defect, as insinuated as if the Galatians knew more than what is just written down in letters in Galatians 4:15-20

The answer is simple, we have our current canon preserved and translated not so that we exclude writings outside of that canon, but that we have a sufficient guide for spiritual edification.

You did not answer my question with regards to why you accept books which are not written by by those with authority on the same level as Moses or the prophets who were appointed judges/born Levites. Or why the Sadducees are wrong to reject all things after Moses as not God-breathed. Nehemiah was written by a layman. He was a prophet because God spoke through him, there's not a black and white apostle vs. non apostle dichotomy for writing scripture. Much of the Old Testament is completed by scribes. And just like I mentioned with lost writings in the New Covenant, the same applies for the Old Covenant. There was a whole school of prophets of whom we don't have their writings. -
-
Let me make this abundantly clear, that doesn't mean that those writings weren't God-breathed and used by God.

You seem to have an idea that after Christ whatever The Apostles write must be canonized and that anything not written by them should not be canonized, even further and more extreme, that whatever someone after them writes cannot be God-breathed or at least serve a sacred purpose locally. If this is a special power given only to The Apostles, why is that not in scripture, and further, why do you not obey the Apostolic commands which are in scripture such as "whatever sins ye remit, are remitted, whatever ye bind and loose are bound in heaven." "This cup which we bless, is it not The Blood of our Christ?" and "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven." "Confess your sins to one another, and He shall be faithful and just to forgive your sins." ???

Personally, your responses are well thought out, but are not sufficient to answer what I have presented. I have heard most of what you speak of before, and I became Orthodox anyways. If you are interested in Orthodoxy, we can talk more, but if at the moment you feel that your reasons are sufficient to justify your belief, it looks like we have to agree to disagree, ask Christ for guidance as we have been doing.

Last edited:
The argument is that The Orthodox Church's organic preservation of the scriptures and eventually organization is what allows us to have The Bible today.
And there has been no evidence provided for that whatsoever. Where is this "eventual organization" in church history? Did any church father or ecumenical council in the first 1,000 years have the same 76 book canon that your church believes in today? The answer looks pretty clear.

Considering that most of the Orthodox I've met are reading a Protestant translation (NKJV) copy and pasted into the Orthodox Study Bible, I'm curious what Sorem meant when he said "we gave you the Bible."
I think the point is not about English translations, but the canon of Scripture itself.

There were roughly 3 centuries where there was no canon, and during that time there were all kinds of weird gnostic forgeries and other such texts proporting to be gospels circulating.

I am sure that we both agree God used the Orthodox church to preserve the canon. That it wasn't down to the men themselves. However the question is: why would God enlighten the eyes of the faithful Orthodox church as to the authentic canon of Scripture and guide them in it's preservation, but not guide them correctly in other ways?

It seems odd to me that the church was guided to be correct about this one thing in order that a millenia afterwards someone would come along and get it right. Why would God guide the church to accurately preserve the canon but wait until the Reformation to correct the beliefs of the church?

The idea that the book alone is somehow sufficient for salvation ignores the entire history of the Christian faith until Pimp Martin Luther.

One has to do backwards mental gymnastics to defend the idea that The Word wasn't formed as part of a Church concurrence and this ignores all religions about the Apostles and the early Church.

If people want to believe that word alone, sans tradition, is The Way... Go ahead I Suppose... But it takes serious denial of history and context to be the self licking ice cream cone.

I am sure that we both agree God used the Orthodox church to preserve the canon.
That's what's being examined. The claim is that the church has to "give" the Scriptures their authority through a process of canonization. When was this canonization? None of the sources provided have aligned with the modern Eastern Orthodox canon, which suggests a very late development of tradition.

From the perspective of Sola Scriptura, the idea that the church has to "give" the Scriptures their authority makes no sense as they are Divine in origin.

If people want to believe that word alone, sans tradition, is The Way... Go ahead I Suppose... But it takes serious denial of history and context to be the self licking ice cream cone.
"If people want to believe made up, non-apostolic traditions, Go ahead I suppose. But it takes a serious denial of history and context to be the self licking ice cream cone."

That's what's being examined. The claim is that the church has to "give" the Scriptures their authority through a process of canonization. When was this canonization? None of the sources provided have aligned with the modern Eastern Orthodox canon, which suggests a very late development of tradition.

From the perspective of Sola Scriptura, the idea that the church has to "give" the Scriptures their authority makes no sense as they are Divine in origin.
Seriously? How was the decision made between what was divinely inspired vs divinely influenced? The Church (Clergy + Layment+ Councils) all determined this.

By this logic, we can all just pick and chose what way we want to interpret the version of the bible you're into and go from there.

YES or NO did Martin Luther want to remove certain books of the bible over the current cannon? How about his criticism of James?

"If people want to believe made up, non-apostolic traditions, Go ahead I suppose. But it takes a serious denial of history and context to be the self licking ice cream cone."
Are you rephrasing what i said here? because I'm not very bright... but I think this is fairly correct...

Also... I'm a convert so I've done all the exploration of the multiple sects with in Protestant Christianity. Once exposed to The Truth... its really impossible to deny it.

Seriously? How was the decision made between what was divinely inspired vs divinely influenced? The Church (Clergy + Layment+ Councils) all determined this.
Cool. When?

By this logic, we can all just pick and chose what way we want to interpret the version of the bible you're into and go from there.
"By this logic, we can all just pick and choose what way we want to interpret the version of the church you're into and go from there."

YES or NO did Martin Luther want to remove certain books of the bible over the current cannon?
The question makes no sense because it assumes a canon to remove books from. Which canon?

How about his criticism of James?
I don't agree with his criticism of James and won't defend it. You can beat that horse if you want to.

Also... I'm a convert so I've done all the exploration of the multiple sects with in Protestant Christianity. Once exposed to The Truth... its really impossible to deny it.
Personal testimonies are nice, but I'm looking at the history here, if there is a history.

If you reject the authority of men, how can men have authority to preach the Word? You are aware that there are good teachers and bad teachers I assume. Wouldn't it make sense that it would be counter-productive for some people to preach? What is the standard?

Is sola scriptura an apostolic tradition? What is your position on the Christmas tree?

If you reject the authority of men, how can men have authority to preach the Word? You are aware that there are good teachers and bad teachers I assume. Wouldn't it make sense that it would be counter-productive for some people to preach? What is the standard?
No one rejects the authority of men. The Lordship of Christ is the authority on which the Word is preached (Matthew 28:18-19). The question is what is the ultimate authority for Christians? Your church or the Scriptures? If you reject the Scriptures that were inspired by God as that then you subjugate them to your church's interpretation. Anyone who is arguing for the authority of their church as the definer of the Scriptures has a lot to prove.

This doctrine that "the church defines canon" has shown to be impossible to prove because it is a historical fiction, a doctrinal development. It is plain to see that none of the early Church fathers saw themselves as the ones who "decide what the Canon is." It was always a battle to root out nominalism and return to what was Apostolic. The same battle every Christian today has to face, even in their own way.

So what is the standard? The same standard that the Apostle Paul "commended" the Church to in the inevitability of false teachers rising up from the flock, "to God and to the Word of His Grace."

Is sola scriptura an apostolic tradition? What is your position on the Christmas tree?
If by Sola Scriptura you mean "the Apostles taught nothing orally" then no. If by Sola Scriptura you mean "Through the Apostles, God gave the Scriptures to the churches to be their authority and standard" then yes.

Last edited:
The question is what is the ultimate authority for Christians? Your church or the Scriptures?
Christ is the ultimate authority, Christ is the head of the church.

The Scriptures in themselves are insufficient to be an authority because they require an interpretation. How many interpretations of Scripture are there in Protestantism? Which is authoritative? And by which authority does one settle this? Ultimately it comes down to the individual. Protestantism makes a Pope of every single individual. If you disagree with your church's interpretation of Scripture you can just go to the next one or start your own.

In Orthodoxy Christ is the authority, and His authority is passed through His church, which is His bride and of whom He is the head.

Christ is the ultimate authority, Christ is the head of the church.
Amen. He left a standard for His church in the Scriptures written by the Apostles.

The Scriptures in themselves are insufficient to be an authority because they require an interpretation. How many interpretations of Scripture are there in Protestantism? Which is authoritative? And by which authority does one settle this?
Does God stutter? How many interpretations of the Biblical Canon are there in Orthodoxy? Do we go with the canon of 81 books? 77 books? 76? 72? Which is authoritative and by what authority does one settle this?

Ultimately it comes down to the individual. Protestantism makes a Pope of every single individual. If you disagree with your church's interpretation of Scripture you can just go to the next one or start your own.
Ultimately, it comes down to the individual. Every Orthodox church makes itself the ultimate authority. If you disagree with your church's claims of authority then you can just go to the next one.

In Orthodoxy Christ is the authority, and His authority is passed through His church, which is His bride and of whom He is the head.
In Apostolic Christianity, Christ is the authority and His rule of authority are the Scriptures that were given to the Church, which is His Bride and of whom He is the head.

Back