• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Coffee Thread

stadtaffe

Orthodox
Heirloom
Something happened the other day which made me remember this thread from RVF. Just that I had to use a different kind of coffee maker, it tasted very good but I ended up with severe insomnia.

Roosh started that thread - if anyone has a copy of the the first post, post it here perhaps, I remember it being quite good.

Coffee starts as a red berry on a bush in the tropics, usually at some altitude. You can even eat it, have tried but is not as good as what we drink of course which goes through a lot of stages to get to the cup.

Discuss here your coffee habits, likes and gripes, grinding or brewing preferences.

download (1).jpeg

I cannot stand the taste of the usual coffee. Usually can only drink those white woman ones, and I only drink those once a year, and if I'm even near a cafeteria that sells those.

I do drink soda often, which is a different bad habit, and my only source of caffeine. Quick search says the one I drink has 35 mg of caffeine.

I love coffee, but it makes my very jittery.

The thing is this: the most important heart health metric is your triglyceride to HDL ratio, as I've explained previously. A ratio over 3.5 has a 16x increased risk of heart disease -- there is no other metric anywhere even slightly close. And for a subset of people, regular coffee use dramatically spikes one's triglycerides, leading to spiking heart disease risk.

Basically no one understand this, unfortunately. But still, coffee is awesome...

Caffeine is not something I'm willing to give up. I like my coffee with light cream, no sugar. I drink 2 cups a day.
Same. I love coffee and refuse to let it go. Probably average 2-3 cups a day. Tea is great too.

Gave up alcohol and don't miss it at all. Don't remember the last time I used pot. Can take it or leave it. A cigar every once in a while is great. But black coffee is what I love.

I couldn't stand the bitter flavor of coffee when I first tried it because I had grown up a Kool-Aid and soda drinker. I had to put loads of soybean oil flavored "creamer" in my coffee to make it taste good until I was able to gradually move to cream and sugar. I tried the whole black coffee thing, drinking only black coffee for a month and it ended up with me preferring black coffee, but I didn't stick with it because I could only drink expensive good coffee and had no tolerance for any cheap or fast food brands. Now I drink 1 to 2 cups a day with cream and sugar. Any more than that and I start to have stomach issues.

When I lived in Da Lat, Vietnam I loved being able to pull beans right from my backyard. The central highlands were a perfect climate to grow so many types of food.

My mother in law just sent me a years worth of Vietnamese coffee grown on her property in Da Lat. Using a phin filter with those incredibly fresh beans makes my morning brew a welcome start to my day.

Vietnam makes some great beans and their coffee culture is awesome compared with the US. Beautiful coffee shops everywhere.

When I lived in Da Lat, Vietnam I loved being able to pull beans right from my backyard. The central highlands were a perfect climate to grow so many types of food.

My mother in law just sent me a years worth of Vietnamese coffee grown on her property in Da Lat. Using a phin filter with those incredibly fresh beans makes my morning brew a welcome start to my day.

Vietnam makes some great beans and their coffee culture is awesome compared with the US. Beautiful coffee shops everywhere.
Many people don't know that as of 2023 Vietnam is the second biggest producer of coffee in the world (the no1 spot still belongs to Brazil).

Last edited:
I love coffee, but it makes my very jittery.

The thing is this: the most important heart health metric is your triglyceride to HDL ratio, as I've explained previously. A ratio over 3.5 has a 16x increased risk of heart disease -- there is no other metric anywhere even slightly close. And for a subset of people, regular coffee use dramatically spikes one's triglycerides, leading to spiking heart disease risk.

Basically no one understand this, unfortunately. But still, coffee is awesome...

Since caffeine/coffee will trigger a stress response it causes the body to dump energy into the bloodstream in the form of glucose from liver glycogen and also stored fats then, (Trg) to provide fuel for what is supposed to be a life or death situation etc.

But not all are as prone to the same stress response from coffee, and it's also a transient thing and says little of your chronic blood markers. They might even improve over time, since coffee can supress appetite, and hence better insulin sensitivity and free up room for more fat storage, hence lower circulating Trg. I don't think coffee is very good for us in the long run though, for more general reasons that are well understood in biology. I drink it because I'm an addict, it's as simple as that!

caffeinejunkie.jpg

Last edited:

I stayed in Vietnam for a few months and I was struck by how the coffee cafes were sometimes more like coffee clubs and there were loads of people, mostly men, gathering at these coffee clubs even late into the night, Vietnamese techno music bumping.

It also seemed like guys would get off work, boots and stains and all, and pop in to the coffee spot to relax. I found that behavior odd but it was a curious thing.

Vietnamese style coffee is awesome. Walking around the city trying different coffee shops and coffee carts is really something special.

Last edited:
I have a Keurig coffee maker which is nice because it allows me to try a ton of different types of coffee pods. I like to get the variety packs. I also have a hand pump espresso maker and make espressos. Lately I've been trying a variety of Cuban style espressos.

All of us gather after liturgy to drink coffee together including our priest. The social aspect of coffee consumption is something to ponder. It's so ingrained that we have decaf coffee options. Joining buddies for a non alcoholic beer just doesn't work like coffee does in this way.

I've been drinking coffee for 15-20 years and never had any ill effects. Recently had blood tests done and my blood is perfect.

I have stopped drinking it before and it was very easy for me to give up. I think people overdo the addictive nature of it.

I'm only at 1-2 cups a days so I'm sure there are people that are outliers that drink so much that they consume 1000-2000mg let's say of caffeine per day, and maybe late into the night also, which is a lot. But even then, just stop and your sleep will return to normal in a couple days. You can ween off coffee with tea.

If you get jittery after drinking coffee you might need to drink more water or eat something with it. Or you're just drinking too much. I know for myself any more than a couple cups at once, or two espresso shots, let's say in an 1-2 hour session, I'm going to give myself the jitters.

I drink it first thing in the morning to wake up because I'm a sluggish and lazy person. I was prescribed Adderall and Ritalin in the past. I'd rather just have a caffeine jolt to regulate things.

Due to stomach issues I decided to replace my daily coffees with caffiene tablets. In addition I found that the colour of my teeth improved since then. Also, with heightened sensitivity to caffeine I've moderated my intake.

@JR5 and others - the following may or may not be useful to you depending on your biophysical state and circumstances.

Modifications

Some adjustments I've made at times, which have helped to reduce stomach/oesophagus irritation, sooth the jitters, minimise the elevation of immediate heart rate [and hopefully longer term heart issues] (1-5); heighten focus (5); reduce the incidence of caffiene-withdrawal headaches (6); reduce difficulty in getting to sleep (7); and buffer neurotransmitter desensitisation (8).
  1. Wait 1-2 hours after waking to have my first dose (during this time I will get sun exposure, do stretching, have a shower and do other things to help speed up the natural waking process, plus:
  2. Drink 500-800ml of water/fluids before having my first dose.
  3. Take 2-4 small doses throughout the day, rather than 1 or 2 large doses
  4. Avoid mixing with other stimulants
  5. Alternate combining caffeine with L-Theanine OR Glycine OR Ashwaganda/Bacopa in a cycle
  6. Use the minimum dose needed for my purpose of the day, e.g., important meeting = higher dose, weekend chilling = lower dose; use moderation and conscious use as a guiding principle rather than maximising my pleasure or using it out of habit.
  7. Conclude all intake within 8-10 hours of bedtime
  8. Ensure at least 1-2 days per week are caffeine free
References

Due to stomach issues I decided to replace my daily coffees with caffiene tablets. In addition I found that the colour of my teeth improved since then. Also, with heightened sensitivity to caffeine I've moderated my intake.

@JR5 and others - the following may or may not be useful to you depending on your biophysical state and circumstances.

Modifications

Some adjustments I've made at times, which have helped to reduce stomach/oesophagus irritation, sooth the jitters, minimise the elevation of immediate heart rate [and hopefully longer term heart issues] (1-5); heighten focus (5); reduce the incidence of caffiene-withdrawal headaches (6); reduce difficulty in getting to sleep (7); and buffer neurotransmitter desensitisation (8).
  1. Wait 1-2 hours after waking to have my first dose (during this time I will get sun exposure, do stretching, have a shower and do other things to help speed up the natural waking process, plus:
  2. Drink 500-800ml of water/fluids before having my first dose.
  3. Take 2-4 small doses throughout the day, rather than 1 or 2 large doses
  4. Avoid mixing with other stimulants
  5. Alternate combining caffeine with L-Theanine OR Glycine OR Ashwaganda/Bacopa in a cycle
  6. Use the minimum dose needed for my purpose of the day, e.g., important meeting = higher dose, weekend chilling = lower dose; use moderation and conscious use as a guiding principle rather than maximising my pleasure or using it out of habit.
  7. Conclude all intake within 8-10 hours of bedtime
  8. Ensure at least 1-2 days per week are caffeine free
References

Interesting with the teeth whitening, although not surprising I guess! I advice everyone not to do multi-supplementation though, as it's proven to be a net negative.

Since caffeine/coffee will trigger a stress response it causes the body to dump energy into the bloodstream in the form of glucose from liver glycogen and also stored fats then, (Trg) to provide fuel for what is supposed to be a life or death situation etc.

But not all are as prone to the same stress response from coffee, and it's also a transient thing and says little of your chronic blood markers. They might even improve over time, since coffee can supress appetite, and hence better insulin sensitivity and free up room for more fat storage, hence lower circulating Trg. I don't think coffee is very good for us in the long run though, for more general reasons that are well understood in biology. I drink it because I'm an addict, it's as simple as that!

caffeinejunkie.jpg
There's not scientific literature on coffee's effect on triglycerides that I've seen, but I found this to be quite helpful:

https://cholesterolcode.com/guest-post-impact-of-coffee-on-triglycerides/

Based on this I tried it out myself: blood work while drinking coffee regularly, and blood work after cutting coffee out for a couple weeks. The difference in my triglycerides was stark. It's annoying because I love coffee...

I think most people are fine drinking it, though.

There's not scientific literature on coffee's effect on triglycerides that I've seen, but I found this to be quite helpful:

https://cholesterolcode.com/guest-post-impact-of-coffee-on-triglycerides/

Based on this I tried it out myself: blood work while drinking coffee regularly, and blood work after cutting coffee out for a couple weeks. The difference in my triglycerides was stark. It's annoying because I love coffee...

I think most people are fine drinking it, though.

There's a lot of data on it, but it's not easy to interpret it always. I'm certain that coffee is a net negative, but not specifically for raised CVD risk.

I tried cold brewing and ended up with panic attacks while I was driving to work. Cold brewing makes the drink far stronger.

We have a very good coffee maker, a gaggia if I remember correctly, that cost well over a grand and makes a cup of coffee that rivals any store bought.

However my go to is instant coffee. It is lower in caffeine, you can make the flavor more potent by mixing in more powder, and the acrymalides are 3x higher but theyre not in any high enough concentration to matter.

Back