• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Christianity In The USA

Hermetic Seal

Orthodox
Heritage
Here's a thread to talk about general Christian news and commentary in the US across confessional lines.

An interesting news item is popular evangelical preacher Andy Stanley recently hosted a conference for parents of sexual identity-confused youths which featured pro-homosexual panelists. It's produced some blowback from more conservative figures in evangelicalism, but indicates yet another leftward step for evangelicalism as a whole.

I wanted to post this following commentary in the Evangelicals thread in the Protestant forum, but I guess I'm not able to post there since I'm Orthodox. I feel like it's pertinent to this thread as well, though.

I grew up Evangelical in the 1990s, where there was something of a thriving Christian counterculture in the US producing some pretty good alternative music (some of which achieved mainstream success, like Jars Of Clay), social movements like Promise Keepers, and literature that became national bestsellers - most infamously the Left Behind series, but also authors like Frank Peretti became pretty successful. It felt like evangelical Christianity was overall a positive movement with an optimistic message for culture, and which actually presented a viable counterculture for kids that could be somewhat hokey, but had a certain charm for it. It's easy to look back fondly on those times as the heyday of parallel Christian culture in the US.

That all changed during the Bush years with the rise of Jerry Falwell, who sort of became the pope of evangelicalism, at least in public consciousness. By the late 2000s evangelicalism was starting to react to it, and it kicked into overdrive with the Martyrdom of St. Trayvon. Today, major publications like Christianity Today, The Gospel Coalition, and Relevant seem to wholeheartedly embrace nearly every point of the progressive urbanite agenda, with the exception - for now - of revisionist sexual ethics. Perhaps that is changing.

I always comfortably identified as an Evangelical when I was younger, going to Southern Baptist or nondenominational (which let's face it, is basically Baptist with the serial numbers filed off) churches that broadly followed conservative political ideology. You could pretty reliably identify evangelicals by points like this:

• Votes Republican
  • Zionist
  • Pro-guns
  • Pro-life
  • Anti-feminist
  • Pro-capitalism/big business
  • Indifferent to environmental issues
  • Premillennial dispensationalist/The Rapture/Left Behind theology
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Male clergy
  • Parallel Christian culture

The modern evangelical - well-represented by someone like the recently-departed Tim Keller - looks more like this:

• Votes Democrat or inoffensive third party, definitely not Trump
  • Still pretty Zionist
  • Concerned about guns
  • Ambivalent about abortion/deflects to Social Justice issues
  • Pro-feminist, warming up to sexual revisionism
  • Still pretty pro-big business, especially if it's Apple or Google
  • Cares about environment
  • Ambivalent about eschatology
  • Theistic evolutionist
  • Enthusiastically embraces female clergy
  • Desperate for mainstream cultural approval
The Bush Era ideology had tons of problems, most of which are clearer in hindsight, so perhaps the internal backlash to Falwellite Evangelicalism was inevitable. But the modern mainstream evangelical looks little different from her secular peers and has a largely similar value system and craving for acceptance, especially by intelligentsia and cultural elites.

Big Eva, as some commentators have taken to calling the modern evangelicalism, is quick to decry Trump and everything he supposedly represents. Of course, many on-the-ground evangelicals - especially of the Boomercon variety - are very much still Falwellites and find themselves alienated by the direction Evangelicalism as a whole has taken. There is a large disconnect between Boomercan Evangelicalism and the major institutions and publications of Big Eva. It is interesting how this development parallels what happened about a hundred years ago with fundamentalists splitting off from the mainline denominations.

Many disillusioned evangelicals such as myself converted to Orthodoxy or Roman Catholicism as it became evident the evangelical tradition had become deeply unstable, prompting an investigation to older, more durable forms of Christianity.

Great analysis.

While reading your analysis reminds me the changes to the black population in the US and South Africa; 60s vs now.

While the state keeps saying black people are doing a lot better (in true 2 + 2 = 5 style) for all the obvious reasons.

The physical reality is different:

- High divorce rates
- Fatherless kids / Single moms
- Dependency on the state support
- Drug use
- Level of education (I mean the real things like reading ability etc.)
- Cultural indoctrination (like the gangsterrap offensive in the 80s)
- Decline of christianity

@Hermetic Seal Do you have an idea what caused the change in the evangelical community?

Great overview. Hopefully people like Tim Keller are just a gateway to a deeper, more substantial form of Christianity. People don't realize what they are missing until they discover it.

In 2010 I'm sure a lot of Evangelicals thought someone like Tim Keller could win Christianity cultural acceptance; with the way our society has gone since then that seems pretty vain.

Last edited:
@Hermetic Seal Do you have an idea what caused the change in the evangelical community?

I think a lot of it was internal backlash to the Falwellite/Boomercon evangelicalism I talked about above; however, another element was commercial.

This is especially evident in the community of contemporary Christian music; up until the early 2000s there were diverse styles represented, with varying approaches to how Christian faith and music came together. I still listen to a lot of the albums I liked from back then, which were by Christian artists but covered various topics, from an underlying Christian perspective. How explicitly "Christian" this music was, varied a lot from one artist to the next. But in the mid 2000s it all changed when contemporary worship music took over the industry and artists either adjusted to the new paradigm, or disappeared. Newsboys is a great example of an alternative band from the 90s that lost whatever was good about them in the process of becoming a worship hit factory.

This is just one example, but it reflects a broader trend of evangelicalism pivoting from its own "in house" or parallel culture, to integrating into more mainstream culture and motivations (in this case, money/stability of employment by being a highly-paid megachurch worship band staff member instead of the flux of touring musician.) This, in turn, made evangelical culture more averse to taking stances that could hurt the flow of cash, and more eager to embrace the "business growth" of new "customers" outside the traditional clientele. Although in a more positive way, this is one reason why it's been slower to overly embrace sexual revisionism; that would be the last straw for Boomercon evangelicals, and thus, the end of their financial involvement in the whole thing.

On a simpler level though, I think this is a case where there's a huge disconnect between the values of the people running the show - in the seminaries and major media publications, for example - and the regular folk in the pews. It's also reflective of a broader failure of Christian Boomer parents to reliably pass on their (Christian) values to their kids. The kids of Boomercon evangelicals are far more progressive than their parents and fit firmly in the latter category I outlined in my last post. Not universally, but at a much higher rate than the last generation before them.

What I've realized, analyzing my own upbringing, is that my parents didn't do nearly enough to counteract the secular cultural programming on their kids. But it's not entirely their fault - they were slow to recognize that the value of Cultural Inertia was 100 points, to use an arbitrary metric, when they were kids, so they thought 200 points of effort would be enough to counteract it; when in fact, Cultural Inertia points were more like 500 in the 1990s and 800 in the early 2000s, so 200 points of effort by them wasn't nearly enough.

And today, the situation is even worse, with secular Cultural Inertia points probably over 3000, for which my parents' 200-point approach would be utterly disastrous today. Thus, as a parent, I have to be dramatically more strict with my children's media consumption and put far more effort into counteracting cultural voices, because the culture is so much worse today than when I was a kid. What sufficed in the 1990s wasn't enough then, and it's not nearly enough today.

Last edited:
I was born into protestant Christianity and back then my church wasnt so bad like the protestants now, in the last few decades protestants have changed drastically, when I was a kid woman didnt even were pants at our evangelical church, our church was a 2000 seater it was big but no noise, people dressed very smart, suits and formal clothing, there were no drums and eletric guitars, the community was very strong and we all used to go downstairs and eat snacks and drink tea and coffee, wooden pews, music was old hyhms, today protestant churchs have churches that look and sound like night clubs, everyone covered in tatoos, I once went to a church just before I became Orthodox where the church promoted and paid for people to get a tatoo done inside the church and they played secular music, I didnt like this at all at the time and when the pastor and his wife started showing support for black lives matter thats when I really got pissed off and refused to be a part of it, I was banned on their social media too for my comments, Im suprised at how fast the protestants have bend to the culture of this world in such a short time

I think the Zionist aspect of evangelicalism is on the downtrend. I would still say evangelicals on average are still more pro-Zionist than average but it's not as fervent before. If the Hamas/Israel conflict had happened in 2003 or even 2013 the responses from the evangelical churches would have gone intro overdrive with Israel support with the Palestinians being ignored but the responses I've seen so far has been measured. Along with the typical "Pray for Israel" stuff I've been seeing churches mention the Palestinians as well which I don't think would have happened back then. The only person I've seen that has been posting tons of pro-Israel material along with videos/pictures of terrorist acts from Hamas is this girl that goes to this church that keeps the dietary laws, has Torah studies - there are all pretty niche thing within evangelicalism.

As for politics in evangelicalism, what I see is similar to what I see with Zionism in that I would say the average evangelical is more conservative than average but I would say it's on the downtrend. I don't really see a super amount of anti-Trump or pro-Democrat advocacy though. What I do see is that there's a trend to be more apolitical and avoid commenting directly on political issues. A lot of the younger millennial/zoomer evangelicals I see if anything tend to be apolitical. The ones that are more woke tend to either just completely leave the church or they get into the whole deconstruction trend. Funny thing that I've seen is that quite a few of the pro-Trump evangelicals I've seen have been Latin.

When it comes to feminism, I definitely do see more of this girl boss women as leader thing. That said, I would say that the average evangelical woman is still more trad then the average secular woman in that she still wants to actually get married and have kids and still believes in gender roles at least within the family if not in the professional workplace.

Last edited:
There is a blessing of apostasy. When a so-called church reveals itself to be apostate, it brings clarity to what the Word of God actually is. The pattern has remained the same throughout church history; nominalism is when we take the Gospel for granted and do not actively seek to live in the light of it day after day. The fact that so many of these churches have changed shows you what they built their foundation on, it wasn't God's unchangeable Word.

It is sad to see how badly Protestantism in America has fallen. All around America you can see ruins of a once great Christian culture that flourished here. I believe mass immigration killed it. In the face of powerful heretics (indians, chinese) and blasphemers (jews), Protestantism folded up like a box of cards. Catholicism and Orthodoxy has power vested in the Bishops, which makes subversion 1000x more difficult.

Protestantism may have just been a flash in the pan, a watered down version of Christianity that flourished simply because it had beautiful, fertile soil to grow within uninhabited pristine America. Now that the entirety of the Old World has arrived, Protestantism finds itself choked out in vines or drying out in rocky soil.

I will always advise Prots who want strict adherence to the teachings of Christ to join the Orthodox Church. The Catholic Church so far has resisted somewhat but Pope Francis makes lots of mistakes and drags his Church down with him. And who is to say the next Pope won't be full of errors? Whereas in Orthodoxy, nothing is going to change because making a Council to agree on anything is nearly impossible. The Orthodox Church is so hardcore that most of it has already condemned Israel.

Compare Catholic Church calls for peace: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-israel-protests-strongly-condemn/ar-AA1jtDqV

To Antiochian condemnation of Israel, in addition to calls for peace: https://www.antiochpatriarchate.org/en/page/statement-of-the-holy-synod-of-antioch-2023/2617/

How can this be taken seriously?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 07.15.40_c76c6855.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 07.15.40_c76c6855.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
Here's a thread to talk about general Christian news and commentary in the US across confessional lines.

An interesting news item is popular evangelical preacher Andy Stanley recently hosted a conference for parents of sexual identity-confused youths which featured pro-homosexual panelists. It's produced some blowback from more conservative figures in evangelicalism, but indicates yet another leftward step for evangelicalism as a whole.

I wanted to post this following commentary in the Evangelicals thread in the Protestant forum, but I guess I'm not able to post there since I'm Orthodox. I feel like it's pertinent to this thread as well, though.

I grew up Evangelical in the 1990s, where there was something of a thriving Christian counterculture in the US producing some pretty good alternative music (some of which achieved mainstream success, like Jars Of Clay), social movements like Promise Keepers, and literature that became national bestsellers - most infamously the Left Behind series, but also authors like Frank Peretti became pretty successful. It felt like evangelical Christianity was overall a positive movement with an optimistic message for culture, and which actually presented a viable counterculture for kids that could be somewhat hokey, but had a certain charm for it. It's easy to look back fondly on those times as the heyday of parallel Christian culture in the US.

That all changed during the Bush years with the rise of Jerry Falwell, who sort of became the pope of evangelicalism, at least in public consciousness. By the late 2000s evangelicalism was starting to react to it, and it kicked into overdrive with the Martyrdom of St. Trayvon. Today, major publications like Christianity Today, The Gospel Coalition, and Relevant seem to wholeheartedly embrace nearly every point of the progressive urbanite agenda, with the exception - for now - of revisionist sexual ethics. Perhaps that is changing.

I always comfortably identified as an Evangelical when I was younger, going to Southern Baptist or nondenominational (which let's face it, is basically Baptist with the serial numbers filed off) churches that broadly followed conservative political ideology. You could pretty reliably identify evangelicals by points like this:

• Votes Republican
  • Zionist
  • Pro-guns
  • Pro-life
  • Anti-feminist
  • Pro-capitalism/big business
  • Indifferent to environmental issues
  • Premillennial dispensationalist/The Rapture/Left Behind theology
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Male clergy
  • Parallel Christian culture

The modern evangelical - well-represented by someone like the recently-departed Tim Keller - looks more like this:

• Votes Democrat or inoffensive third party, definitely not Trump
  • Still pretty Zionist
  • Concerned about guns
  • Ambivalent about abortion/deflects to Social Justice issues
  • Pro-feminist, warming up to sexual revisionism
  • Still pretty pro-big business, especially if it's Apple or Google
  • Cares about environment
  • Ambivalent about eschatology
  • Theistic evolutionist
  • Enthusiastically embraces female clergy
  • Desperate for mainstream cultural approval
The Bush Era ideology had tons of problems, most of which are clearer in hindsight, so perhaps the internal backlash to Falwellite Evangelicalism was inevitable. But the modern mainstream evangelical looks little different from her secular peers and has a largely similar value system and craving for acceptance, especially by intelligentsia and cultural elites.

Big Eva, as some commentators have taken to calling the modern evangelicalism, is quick to decry Trump and everything he supposedly represents. Of course, many on-the-ground evangelicals - especially of the Boomercon variety - are very much still Falwellites and find themselves alienated by the direction Evangelicalism as a whole has taken. There is a large disconnect between Boomercan Evangelicalism and the major institutions and publications of Big Eva. It is interesting how this development parallels what happened about a hundred years ago with fundamentalists splitting off from the mainline denominations.

Many disillusioned evangelicals such as myself converted to Orthodoxy or Roman Catholicism as it became evident the evangelical tradition had become deeply unstable, prompting an investigation to older, more durable forms of Christianity.
I don't agree with the bolded part, The modern evangelicals are strong Trump supporters. They have been his main supporters since the beginning. I don't know a single evangelical that votes Democrat. The list seems to be defining "liberal" Christians.

I know people's personal experiences are going to differ from one place to the next, but the last several churches I attended before becoming Orthodox were all self-billed evangelical and those points were pretty accurate for a good 50% or so of the congregation. And it's undoubtedly true of the major institutions (seminaries, publications, media outlets, etc.) But like I mentioned in my prior posts, there's of course a big disconnect between grassroots traditional evangelicals and the Kellerite variety.

The big difference between the progressive evangelicals emerging in the last fifteen years or so, and now seemingly driving the movement, and what you'd characterize as liberal mainline Christians, is that the latter group was there all along, while the former were at one time clearly in the classic evangelical mold.

I think there's going to be a sifting with the zoomers and alpha generation when it comes to Christianity. There's going to be less lukewarmness and sitting on the fence and you are you going to see more of these kids and young people at the tail ends - being either full on fire for God or being a non-binary polyamorous atheist/wiccan/whatever blob-human. I have a Christian friend who is Gen X who was a volunteered for this retreat/camp/conference thing over the summer that had a good deal of teens and younger people who were attending and he was talking about how he felt pretty encouraged by what he was seeing with those kids. I brought up to him the stats about how millennials and zoomers are the most secular generation and he responded by saying that he thinks that the ones that stick with the faith are going to be really dedicated to it.

As for my own personal experiences with various non-denom/evangelical churches, ministries, groups, and social circles, I just really don't see a big trend towards supporting liberal politics. Keep in mind that I'm in the northeast of the United States as well so if anything I should be seeing this way more then someone who is in the south or midwest. There's definitely cultural shifts such as more women in leadership positions and more tattoos, piercings, and "worldly" ways of dressing but other things still seem pretty conservative to me.

I actually witnessed something about 3-4 years ago that summarizes that I see here. I was at this church once where a Latina woman with blue hair gave a sermon. What did she talk about in the beginning? She was talking about how it's sign of the corruption of culture that in some states parents can now put down X for the gender of their child on the birth certificate and said how she's glad that there's least a lot of prayer in the White House going on with Paula White making visits to the Trump White House to pray. So here we have someone who is non-white and female speaking at a church with the blue hair but still saying things that would get her blackballed in your typical secular environment. For me this serves as a very poignant illustration of what has shifted and what hasn't.

I think there's going to be a sifting with the zoomers and alpha generation when it comes to Christianity. There's going to be less lukewarmness and sitting on the fence and you are you going to see more of these kids and young people at the tail ends - being either full on fire for God or being a non-binary polyamorous atheist/wiccan/whatever blob-human. I have a Christian friend who is Gen X who was a volunteered for this retreat/camp/conference thing over the summer that had a good deal of teens and younger people who were attending and he was talking about how he felt pretty encouraged by what he was seeing with those kids. I brought up to him the stats about how millennials and zoomers are the most secular generation and he responded by saying that he thinks that the ones that stick with the faith are going to be really dedicated to it.

As for my own personal experiences with various non-denom/evangelical churches, ministries, groups, and social circles, I just really don't see a big trend towards supporting liberal politics. Keep in mind that I'm in the northeast of the United States as well so if anything I should be seeing this way more then someone who is in the south or midwest. There's definitely cultural shifts such as more women in leadership positions and more tattoos, piercings, and "worldly" ways of dressing but other things still seem pretty conservative to me.

I actually witnessed something about 3-4 years ago that summarizes that I see here. I was at this church once where a Latina woman with blue hair gave a sermon. What did she talk about in the beginning? She was talking about how it's sign of the corruption of culture that in some states parents can now put down X for the gender of their child on the birth certificate and said how she's glad that there's least a lot of prayer in the White House going on with Paula White making visits to the Trump White House to pray. So here we have someone who is non-white and female speaking at a church with the blue hair but still saying things that would get her blackballed in your typical secular environment. For me this serves as a very poignant illustration of what has shifted and what hasn't.

Yes, a lot of it is "style" but not substance. The core teachings remain, but the dressing on the package has shifted considerably. But this is normal, fashion, decorum, etc. always change. It would be a mistake to judge the book by its cover.

At the same, women should not be delivering sermons!!! Absolute heresy.

I think the Zionist aspect of evangelicalism is on the downtrend. I would still say evangelicals on average are still more pro-Zionist than average but it's not as fervent before. If the Hamas/Israel conflict had happened in 2003 or even 2013 the responses from the evangelical churches would have gone intro overdrive with Israel support with the Palestinians being ignored but the responses I've seen so far has been measured. Along with the typical "Pray for Israel" stuff I've been seeing churches mention the Palestinians as well which I don't think would have happened back then. The only person I've seen that has been posting tons of pro-Israel material along with videos/pictures of terrorist acts from Hamas is this girl that goes to this church that keeps the dietary laws, has Torah studies - there are all pretty niche thing within evangelicalism.

As for politics in evangelicalism, what I see is similar to what I see with Zionism in that I would say the average evangelical is more conservative than average but I would say it's on the downtrend. I don't really see a super amount of anti-Trump or pro-Democrat advocacy though. What I do see is that there's a trend to be more apolitical and avoid commenting directly on political issues. A lot of the younger millennial/zoomer evangelicals I see if anything tend to be apolitical. The ones that are more woke tend to either just completely leave the church or they get into the whole deconstruction trend. Funny thing that I've seen is that quite a few of the pro-Trump evangelicals I've seen have been Latin.

When it comes to feminism, I definitely do see more of this girl boss women as leader thing. That said, I would say that the average evangelical woman is still more trad then the average secular woman in that she still wants to actually get married and have kids and still believes in gender roles at least within the family if not in the professional workplace.
Charlie Kirk is a big Israel promoter and protestant TV pastors like John Haggi, but yes I have noticed more and more protestants not supporting the Jews lately, but still alot who do

I have seen some positive hope for the next generation, I saw a video on Instagram this year of young white teenagers taking down a gay rainbow flag during the day time in california and setting it on fire, this gave me a little feeling of hope for the next generation, like you said they wont be sitting on the fence

I have seen some positive hope for the next generation, I saw a video on Instagram this year of young white teenagers taking down a gay rainbow flag during the day time in california and setting it on fire, this gave me a little feeling of hope for the next generation, like you said they wont be sitting on the fence

Maybe they can go visit or get Adolfo Martinez out of jail then, he's currently doing 15 years in prison for exactly that.

Back