CAT scan yes or no?

You have to do a basic risk/reward analysis. Is the risk of you having an ailment great enough to outweigh going through a procedure that will harm your body?

Slicing in to your body with a knife is harmful, but if there is a bullet inside you, it is worth it to do so.

Sticking a probe up my anus because the doctor says "You could have butt cancer, who knows? Let's screen you for it" is not.

I always remember the stat that the #3 cause of death in hospitals is malpractice. So unless you are suffering from #1 or #2 (I think it's heart attack and stroke) you are statistically better off avoiding them.

You gotta put it all in perspective, too. I generally avoid x-rays (and NEVER use the TSA body scanners) but I accepted a dental x ray the other day because I needed some dental work at the local dental school who insists on doing so for new patients. They are < 1/2 the price of regular dentists, and the work is overseen by university professors. They claim it helps detect cavities, and I hadn't been to the dentist since covid, so I agreed, since I was not getting regular checkups recently and wanted to make sure everything was good. Was the x ray needed? No. Did it harm me? Yes. But I agreed. Will I do it again? No. I don't think one procedure is gonna kill you. But it all has a cumulative effect on your body.

Back