• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Career And Job Advice Q&A

I'm curious what other guys are doing generally for careers, or, what you want to do, and where people are struggling.

Financial independence is one of the most important things a man needs to strive for.
My advice: for a career field, is to get into supply chain and logistics.

If you have a through understanding of the LEAN and SixSigma, and strong knowledge of Logistics along the Value Chain, then you're uniquely able to understand complex problems... And value chain inputs.

My advice: for a career field, is to get into supply chain and logistics.

If you have a through understanding of the LEAN and SixSigma, and strong knowledge of Logistics along the Value Chain, then you're uniquely able to understand complex problems... And value chain inputs.

What impact do you think AI will have on new entrants to supply chain and logistics?

What impact do you think AI will have on new entrants to supply chain and logistics?

We will use AI where possible, I use it working at a major oil and gas firm currently to streamline inputs where able.

But an understanding of S&OP, inbound and outbound logistics, different modes of logistics, materials and personnel movement are all spaces that will need critical thinking and individual contributions.

If you are able to think in Logistics then you are valuable to all value chain elements.

Anybody have any experience with Data Analytics as a potential career? My current career has been steadily becoming more demanding on the work/time side, while efforts to increase bid prices to match are continually met with resistance. I am starting to wonder if the writing is on the wall career-wise for me. It seems the time I am putting into work is not being reflected income-wise.

I work primarily in the production world (video post-production) as an editor. This requires me to be organized with my files and content, as well as being able to string information together (albeit creatively). I came across a local tech school offering a data analytics class and it piqued my interest as something that might correlate to some degree.

Anybody have any experience with Data Analytics as a potential career? My current career has been steadily becoming more demanding on the work/time side, while efforts to increase bid prices to match are continually met with resistance. I am starting to wonder if the writing is on the wall career-wise for me. It seems the time I am putting into work is not being reflected income-wise.

I work primarily in the production world (video post-production) as an editor. This requires me to be organized with my files and content, as well as being able to string information together (albeit creatively). I came across a local tech school offering a data analytics class and it piqued my interest as something that might correlate to some degree.
I've got some experience with this. The data analytics terminology is a huge buzzword right now.

Having xls/Python/linear programming skills is helpful for sure.

Id encourage you to explore this.

I'm curious what other guys are doing generally for careers, or, what you want to do, and where people are struggling.

Financial independence is one of the most important things a man needs to strive for.
I work golf course maintenance, with the goal of becoming a superintendent. Realistic earning potential is low six figures, maybe a little more or less depending on the type of course and location. Financial independence is not realistic, but I thoroughly enjoy the job so this is the next best thing.

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be an apprentice in one of the trades like electrician, hvac or plumber. Similar earning potential, unless you start your own business. That's when serious money can become a possibility.

Another job I really liked was being a dockhand at a marina. Very similar atmosphere and earning potential (if going into management) as golf courses.

If I had to do a more white collar job, I'd probably go with something in construction management.

Last edited:
Someone I met today told me about her new job, which is position with the state as a remote Call Center agent. Has anyone done any remote call center work? I assume it's a female dominated field but it sounds like a good opportunity for someone with little experience to work from home.

I also talked with an Orthodox Deacon today who is custodian/maintenance man at a local evangelical church. He loves the freedom and solitude it provides. It sounds like the best place to do that kind of thing.

Someone I met today told me about her new job, which is position with the state as a remote Call Center agent. Has anyone done any remote call center work? I assume it's a female dominated field but it sounds like a good opportunity for someone with little experience to work from home.

I also talked with an Orthodox Deacon today who is custodian/maintenance man at a local evangelical church. He loves the freedom and solitude it provides. It sounds like the best place to do that kind of thing.
When I was in High School, I worked Friday evenings cleaning office buildings for Service Master. And on Saturday’s I helped 2 older guys strip and rewax tile floors and shampooed carpets for various businesses. It was a very low stress and relaxing part time job. Only downside being a teenage boy, no girls to chat up during work, like most of my friends that worked at various stores at the local shopping mall. (This was the 1980’s mind you). And the family friend of my parents I worked for owned the janitorial business. He was a railroad worker prior to quitting and becoming a millionaire entrepreneur of a janitorial business.

I've worked as a Financial Analyst and as a Data Scientist. In terms of technical skill, the hierarchy is Data Scientist > Data Analyst > Financial Analyst. The issue with DS is the field got too "sexy" so jobs get hundreds of applicants and are hard to land. I got a good job, but it's hard for me to actually land a better one. I put out lots of applications and do not get many interviews. Data Analyst especially has more demand.

I do recommend the field. I'm happy to give lots of information, and I'd recommend learning both SQL and Python. You can start online at datacamp .com or khanacademy .com just to get a feel for the languages(you spend $10-20 per class) and then if you are liking it and serious, you can take a longer, more involved course.
If you had to learn a foreign language, the best way is practice and repetition. Get going and get comfortable with it -- even if it's repetitive, you're learning.

I have one other suggestion, given what you said about being organized and stringing together information: pursue Data Engineering. Data Engineering involves building and maintaining data pipelines, basically transferring data from one spot to another, gathering and collecting it, etc. It's not really any harder to learn than Data Analysis, but you get paid better than anyone, and it's in massive demand.

And I forgot... two possible paths for locations with Data Analyst, Data Engineering, Data Science roles:

1. Get a hybrid or on-site(full time) job in a place you don't mind
At some point you have more experience, a better title, more clout. Switch to remote if you like, but you might sacrifice some compensation

2. Get a job in a big city. NYC or SF Bay Area or Seattle. Maybe you hate it. But you are likely to have a more lucrative career trajectory.
At some point you upgrade title, compensation, maybe you like the remote thing, maybe you don't.

I kind of wish I spent ~2 years getting going in a place like NYC. At the time it felt incredibly unappealing, but I could have made it happen.

Or, maybe you already live in a place like Texas, where the money is in less-woke corporations like oil and gas. Then your best value is to stay in Texas.

Seattle itself is an overpriced dump for the average income, but the surrounding area has some really nice places. And based on those Data jobs, you could probably afford the good areas. You can also find some decent deals if renting. And no state income tax.

Lots of fun things to do in Western Washington. Just stay away from Seattle.

The old adage, "when the gold rush happens, sell shovels and picks, or food and beer and lodging" is really applicable to the AI boom, and societal needs generally.

Some of this is essentially re-posting because I believe in them so strongly:

1. Energy industry. Data centers consume an incredible amount of energy and stress the grid. There is way more demand for transmission workers than there is supply. Generation is great too. Even without AI/data centers, energy demands are only going up over time.

2. Fiber optic networks. Demand for bandwidth is only going up, and AI data centers also need a ton of bandwidth. So you can get a job at a fiber optic company.

3. Data Engineering. People have so many ideas for amazing things to do with all of their data, but too few people to actually reshape the data and get it to the right place. Data Engineers are the well-paid plumbers of tech. It isn't "glorious" work; but companies need it badly and it's a bad time if it doesn't work -- so they are in demand, and employers have to pay well.

Energy and Fiber both have completely different types of jobs; you can get a well-paid blue collar job working on the infrastructure side(like the Canadian Oil Sands thread), or work in sales, or in regional politics, or in data and analytics fields.

The old adage, "when the gold rush happens, sell shovels and picks, or food and beer and lodging" is really applicable to the AI boom, and societal needs generally.

Some of this is essentially re-posting because I believe in them so strongly:

1. Energy industry. Data centers consume an incredible amount of energy and stress the grid. There is way more demand for transmission workers than there is supply. Generation is great too. Even without AI/data centers, energy demands are only going up over time.

2. Fiber optic networks. Demand for bandwidth is only going up, and AI data centers also need a ton of bandwidth. So you can get a job at a fiber optic company.

3. Data Engineering. People have so many ideas for amazing things to do with all of their data, but too few people to actually reshape the data and get it to the right place. Data Engineers are the well-paid plumbers of tech. It isn't "glorious" work; but companies need it badly and it's a bad time if it doesn't work -- so they are in demand, and employers have to pay well.

Energy and Fiber both have completely different types of jobs; you can get a well-paid blue collar job working on the infrastructure side(like the Canadian Oil Sands thread), or work in sales, or in regional politics, or in data and analytics fields.
What are most of the employers looking for and required (4 year degree, just really smart at IT stuff?) to get the skills necessary to fill these in demand positions? Does the US have the manpower internally to fill this (ie Gen Z kids if they get off their lazy butts, inner city multigenerational welfare people, older displaced workers).? Or are we looking for Asians and Indian immigrants with the experience and education to quickly fill this demand?

What are most of the employers looking for and required (4 year degree, just really smart at IT stuff?) to get the skills necessary to fill these in demand positions? Does the US have the manpower internally to fill this (ie Gen Z kids if they get off their lazy butts, inner city multigenerational welfare people, older displaced workers).? Or are we looking for Asians and Indian immigrants with the experience and education to quickly fill this demand?
For Data Engineering, other database jobs, data analyst jobs...etc, anyone who isn't lazy and is "decently" bright. You don't need to be a genius. You do need to have a little discipline and motivation to study the required skills. Tech trade schools(aka bootcamps) will teach you these skills for dramatically less tuition than any university. It'll be quick and entirely focused on your outcome, no BS.

The US has the people to fill all of this. I work with some very bright Gen-Z'ers who do have their acts together and are doing incredibly well. But yes that generation needs to get their sh*t together.

Inner city welfare people can get jobs like this Fiber Technician, pay is $18/hour, not great:

But if the inner-city kid does it well he could upgrade to this one paying $28-37/hour, or could be a job better suited to a displaced tradesperson:

This is a data engineering internship paying $25/hr for a recent 4-year graduate, but bootcamp graduates typically can get jobs like this:

Then if the intern sticks it out they can upgrade to a regular Data Engineer, and after a while get jobs like this Lead Data Engineer job. 6 years required experience. "The US base salary range for this full-time position is $175,600 - $261,800 + equity + benefits."

I work in the environmental field for a large (globohomo) company.

I recently had a situation where several small mistakes snowballed into a costly oopsie. I haven't been reprimanded too harshly, but it has reminded me that I am indeed quite replacable, and my employment isn't a sure thing by any means.

This job is a golden handcuff scenario, but I think with the pride, anti Catholic native propaganda, and general filthy talk in the office, it's time to begin establishing a way out.

Im early 30s, and I've always wanted to be an arborist. I'm considering taking a paycut to move into the city to be closer to my church (3 hours away).

Becoming an independent environmental consultant would be great too, but I only have a BSc and some safety tickets.

Back