Bodily Health in the Context of Orthodoxy

DanielH

Orthodox
Heritage
But the Lord is the only thing that can save either. Even secular promises that appear to save the body in the short run, always end up in destruction in the long run.
I'm sorry, but this is not true. When someone is sick, or have broken a bone, they have cataracts, teeth falling out, etc., they consult a secular physician for help, and that is the right thing to do with lots of discernment (due to the unfortunate state of "medicine" today). Many saints and modern day priests say so. Saint Luke was a physician and used the medical knowledge of his time. If someone is developing osteoporosis, they start lifting heavy weights to regain bone density. There is a secular answer to bodily health. It is wrong to neglect the clear options God gave us to preserve our bodies. We are body and soul, and both are good. It is not good to harm the body or do things to cause an early death, which is one of the things I read in my prayer book's guide to confession - not to do things that lead to an early death, implying there is a material component to health.

God can also save the body of course as all things are within His power and control. I've seen and heard of miraculous healings. But we have a role in protecting our bodies and preserving our lives as well. And of course, many illnesses have a spiritual cause. I've gotten physically sick after sin, and have received healing through a saint's intervention and holy oil.

Last edited:
But I am not merely talking about the short run, Daniel.

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matt 10:28)

The comment you quoted from me was in context of the discussion of Pagan Front, which is why I said that things that look to give a material advantage, such as an advantage to the body, can actually be deadly in the long run due to separating the soul from God.

There is another quote from the Apostle Paul on this subject, where he also says something to the effect of "having a strong body is good, but the soul is more important," but I cannot find the exact quote right now.

The point I was making is that bodily health isn't as important as spiritual health, which is why secular organizations shouldn't be at the center of anyone's life.

But I am not merely talking about the short run, Daniel.

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matt 10:28)

The comment you quoted from me was in context of the discussion of Pagan Front, which is why I said that things that look to give a material advantage, such as an advantage to the body, can actually be deadly in the long run due to separating the soul from God.

There is another quote from the Apostle Paul on this subject, where he also says something to the effect of "having a strong body is good, but the soul is more important," but I cannot find the exact quote right now.

The point I was making is that bodily health isn't as important as spiritual health, which is why secular organizations shouldn't be at the center of anyone's life.
I know you're not making the argument...but some might misread and suggest that you are saying one should neglect one for the sake of the other.

Spending all your time in pursuit of spiritual development whilst becoming a sloth is also sinful too, or a gormandizer is equally destructive.

Our bodies are manifestations or our self respect and values, at least in our youth.

As men, we have a duty to feed the body and the soul with the right balance.

I'm not suggesting neglecting either... But I do believe it's an imperative as a man, to be fit and capable. That doesn't have to come at the expense of spiritual health nor do you have to take all sorts of designer drugs and steroids ect such that you are so vain you forget the purpose of the body God gave you... Which is to glorify him.

I know you're not making the argument...but some might misread and suggest that you are saying one should neglect one for the sake of the other.

Spending all your time in pursuit of spiritual development whilst becoming a sloth is also sinful too, or a gormandizer is equally destructive.

Our bodies are manifestations or our self respect and values, at least in our youth.

As men, we have a duty to feed the body and the soul with the right balance.

I'm not suggesting neglecting either... But I do believe it's an imperative as a man, to be fit and capable. That doesn't have to come at the expense of spiritual health nor do you have to take all sorts of designer drugs and steroids ect such that you are so vain you forget the purpose of the body God gave you... Which is to glorify him.

I agree, but we must remember that while having a strong body is good, the soul is still far more important. In today's secular age, this message is far more important.

Can't tell you how many Body Builders I've seen break down later in life, depressed, become alcoholics, and lose everything because they neglected their soul in favor of material things.

And I don't think for a second you fall into this camp. But without a doubt the soul is more important than the body. And I say this as someone who is in great physical shape.

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and lose his soul?"

Can't tell you how many Body Builders I've seen break down later in life, depressed, become alcoholics, and lose everything because they neglected their soul in favor of material things.
Yeah, bodybuilding is in many cases yet another form of neuroticism. I noticed that one main reason I have had trouble with fasting in the past was because I obsessed about my protein intake and the firmness and growth of whatever muscle group.

It leads to this "well, I want to practice my faith, but not at the cost of my physique" type of mentality, essentially breaking the first commandment in one form or another.

Then again, there's no need to purity spiral. One of the reasons we have been given Great Lent and the Sacraments is because frequent recalibration of some sort is necessary. Some self-consciousness about one's shape may carry vanity in itself, but if it's kept in check, I don't think it's terrible.

Yeah, bodybuilding is in many cases yet another form of neuroticism. I noticed that one main reason I have had trouble with fasting in the past was because I obsessed about my protein intake and the firmness and growth of whatever muscle group.

It leads to this "well, I want to practice my faith, but not at the cost of my physique" type of mentality, essentially breaking the first commandment in one form or another.

Then again, there's no need to purity spiral. One of the reasons we have been given Great Lent and the Sacraments is because frequent recalibration of some sort is necessary. Some self-consciousness about one's shape may carry vanity in itself, but if it's kept in check, I don't think it's terrible.
The video I posted by Fr. Moses McPherson was specifically addressed to that.

Back