• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

BBQ in America

Kiwi

Other Christian
Heritage
I've only visited America a handful of times but loved every minute. Best times in Louisiana. Great hospitality and great food.

That being said, I'm genuinely interested to hear what makes good BBQ to the folks in the states or who does it the best?
Or if you have good methods feel free to share.

I like to slow cook ribs, finish them off in the oven but have yet to cook Brisket or use wood/charcoal for the smoky flavour.

It's great to see many young men and women starting BBQ joints with the work ethic of early mornings and late evenings providing good food for the community and getting lines out the door. Definitely makes me want to go back and visit.

Just to add this young lady is awesome. Started as a cook in a BBQ joint then eventually opened here own place at 25. Works harder than most of her staff by the looks of it, what a legend.

So great to see the relationship between local farms and chefs. The way it's supposed to be.

Disclaimer: no disrespect to BBQ in Argentina, Brazil or Australia. All are welcome for this thread.

Last edited:
I love the principle of cooking briskets or pork shoulders at low temps for hours until they are fall-off-the-bone tender. Smoke, rubs, and BBQ sauce are just frosting on the cake.

I will say that managing a wood fire for hours while holding at a steady, low temp is a nice technical challenge. If you can do this well, then almost any seasonings will be great

I love the principle of cooking briskets or pork shoulders at low temps for hours until they are fall-off-the-bone tender. Smoke, rubs, and BBQ sauce are just frosting on the cake.

I will say that managing a wood fire for hours while holding at a steady, low temp is a nice technical challenge. If you can do this well, then almost any seasonings will be great

One of the rare good moments during Covid a couple years back I was unlucky (?) enough to find most of the meat section cleared out, except for Pork Shoulder or Pork Hock.
I remember buying Pork Shoulder in bulk because most people didn't know how to cook it. Even Pork Hock with a soup is basic and can feed so many.

A pellet grill makes it so easy. You get the same results, but it's idiot proof. They maintain temperature automatically. It's as easy as using an oven or a microwave.

For smoking I use my Weber kettle with charcoal briquettes laid out in a "snake", and the lumps of smokewood (hickory, for the moment) laid on top. I use a wireless meat thermometer to monitor temperature. I have used this technique to get some very tasty smoked brisket, pork belly (bacon) and such. I may invest in a proper smoker in the future but for the time I am very satisfied.

A pellet grill makes it so easy. You get the same results, but it's idiot proof. They maintain temperature automatically. It's as easy as using an oven or a microwave.
Is the smoke from the pellets as good as natural wood smoke? I can't help thinking the pellets must contain glue to hold the sawdust together. I could imagine impurities is the sawdust as well.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how the pellets are made?

Modern grill devices are a big help, with the temp control, especially at higher elevations. That's one reason BBQ has always been such a southern delicacy. The prevalence of hard woods helps, too. Pine/soft wood is lousy for BBQ. With all the pig farms in the south and midwest, folks just had to learn to cook pork well.

Sour cherry juice is an interesting baste that I learned about recently. The acids soften the meat and leave a slightly tangy/sweet flavor. That was for an oven-cooked brisket, very low and slow. That's not common American-style bbq.

Last edited:
But do you guys generally cook at home as the norm or do you have a local spot? I guess i'm interested in BBQ life as an American - Texas or North Carolina Whole Hog?

I cook at home normally, but for BBQ I eat out (unless it is simple grilling). I gave up on slow cooking BBQ where I live.

Texas is tops for beef BBQ/brisket. They seem to have excellent sausages also (credit to the old German/Czech population there). The rest of the south is pork BBQ heaven - with regional specialties (like North Carolina vinegar-based pulled pork or some kind of mustardy sauce or some rib specialty). In the Old South, the pork BBQ better be excellent, or a restaurant won't make it. Some places won't even offer beef BBQ in the south.

BBQ life as a culture seems to vary widely. When I lived in the southeast, it was a thing, with multiple neighbors over and hours together, kids, etc. In the West, not so much. Black Americans seem to have a deeper BBQ culture - large group, all day get togethers for almost any event, tons of side dishes, etc.

Is Kiwi BBQ culture similar to Aussie barbee culture?

Is the smoke from the pellets as good as natural wood smoke? I can't help thinking the pellets must contain glue to hold the sawdust together. I could imagine impurities is the sawdust as well.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how the pellets are made?
They sell small wood chips that go through the auger of a pellet grill now. Haven't tried em but I've seen em out there. Not sure about impurities, but there are many brands to choose from as far as pellets go. The convenience factor is a game changer though. You can smoke things overnight, while you're at work, whatever.

If you get one you'll find yourself using it for everything, not just fancy BBQ. Chicken legs, meatloaf, burgers, fish... you could probably throw roadkill in there and it would be palatable.

My favorite rub for beef brisket is a simple mix of coarse black pepper and salt. Apply mustard to the beef to get it to stick, and it turns into a very nice bark.

Last edited:
Back