An update for our CiK ladies

δούλος του Χριστού

Servant of Christ
Orthodox
Heritage
Hello, I hope everyone is doing well today. :)

It was recently brought to my attention that some of the forum permissions were a bit incorrect and too restrictive concerning women.

Specifically the women were not allowed to do some combinations of read, react, view attachments, vote on polls, etc in some forums.

This was not intentional and I have since gone through all the permissions and corrected them where applicable.

I also just wanted to say we really appreciate and value our female members and are glad you are here.

And in case everyone didn't know already (I didn't, actually), the coffee house forum can be posted in by both men and women.

If there are any questions or issues please feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you, take care, and God bless. ☦️ 🙏 🕊️

In Christ,

δούλος του Χριστού

Servant of Christ​

Last edited:
Answer from XF support:

It would require custom development.

The quote option is not available for forums which members cannot post in.

So that probably isn't going to happen. However you can still manually copy and paste the text and links and create your own quote blocks. I or one of the moderators can explain how to do that if you need help, just let us know.

I am also considering options to potentially open up more areas of the site for women to post. No promises, but it is under consideration as we explore how that might work and how we would handle rules, moderation, etc. It is a potentially controversial topic and I don't want to cause an uproar but I do think if handled appropriately it would benefit everyone. My notion is that we would still have separate men's and women's dedicated areas, but perhaps some of the common sections could be opened up a bit more to facilitate interesting and edifying conversations, like in a Church atmosphere.

Answer from XF support:

So that probably isn't going to happen. However you can still manually copy and paste the text and links and create your own quote blocks. I or one of the moderators can explain how to do that if you need help, just let us know.
Thanks for getting back to me. The response from XF Support makes sense. I know how to copy/past and make a quote block but the quote option is just more convenient especially if there is an image or other element besides text.
I am also considering options to potentially open up more areas of the site for women to post. No promises, but it is under consideration as we explore how that might work and how we would handle rules, moderation, etc. It is a potentially controversial topic and I don't want to cause an uproar but I do think if handled appropriately it would benefit everyone. My notion is that we would still have separate men's and women's dedicated areas, but perhaps some of the common sections could be opened up a bit more to facilitate interesting and edifying conversations, like in a Church atmosphere.
There seem to be barely a handful of women here lately so if the forum were to open up more I can't imagine there being much of a noticeable effect, at least for a while. Also, given that the honor system is used when creating accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the "male" accounts were actually women... But I understand that the (known) presence of women can change the dynamic of a dialogue between men. Ultimately, it's up to you moderators what you choose, of course. I'm still just grateful to be able to be a part of this forum in some way.

Back