70s thread - The best of the 1970s

Thank you for this thread. I grew up in the 70s and miss so many things about those times. People dressed so eclectically too, just doing their own thing. To the chagrin of my family and friends I still like to use slang from that era, just to keep it alive. Some of the most soulful and just plain fun music, ballads, and deep messages came out of this decade.

280de0e97ca02d54dbf35ec044147b4b--riding-bikes-afros.jpg

cba3c8ba58a9de86dc760cca215f9279.jpg

Notice how the kid proudly shows off his knee injury at minute 1:06.
Wipe out at minute 1:27.....kid cheers even after falling flat on his face.
3 kids decide it's not hardcore enough for them and up the stakes at minute 2:20, by laying down on the ground side by side as the bikes as the jump over their bodies.
Boys becoming men in real time.

There are so many Billy Joel songs I like, it's hard to choose. One of my favorites is definitely Just the Way You Are. But there are so many others...

Some of his lyrics are underrated, although some are pretty trite. "Just The Way You Are" is a beautiful song all around.

This would be from around 1978, despite the black and white image. That's the first time gas went over $1 a gallon that I recall.

That was a lot of money back then, maybe 5x what it would be now. That's based on anecdotal experience, not the untrustworthy official inflation rates. That's more than it is now, but not by a lot. I know some big cities are that high, but not the big city I'm in. It's been about $3.50 here recently. There's an area across town from me that's having some kind of price war, where 4-5 gas stations along a 2 mile stretch are having gas for $3.08.

This would be from around 1978, despite the black and white image. That's the first time gas went over $1 a gallon that I recall.

That was a lot of money back then, maybe 5x what it would be now. That's based on anecdotal experience, not the untrustworthy official inflation rates. That's more than it is now, but not by a lot. I know some big cities are that high, but not the big city I'm in. It's been about $3.50 here recently. There's an area across town from me that's having some kind of price war, where 4-5 gas stations along a 2 mile stretch are having gas for $3.08.

This is from a TV show I was watching, from early 1976.

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 19.07.40 PM.webp

This is from a TV show I was watching, from early 1976.

View attachment 227
I remember going off to church camp one summer, where we were totally cut off from media (that would be TV, radio, and newspapers back then). When we left gas was still about 85 cents a gallon, but when we came back six days later, I was seeing prices over $1. Like the sign in your picture, a lot of gas station signs didn't even have space for a price over $1/gallon. This was summer of 1980, and the increase was related to the Iran hostage crisis. I was mistaken thinking it was 1978.

Edit: I also meant to say that when it went up to $1, it was a big jump. As your picture shows, it was only 50 cents four years earlier, and that was still after the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo.

Last edited:
Back