Women’s Health: A Holistic Approach

TheLearningWife

Orthodox
Heritage
Woman
A place to discuss prevention, health issues, and treatment with a focus on natural methods and functional medicine. Share your go-to remedies and supplements!

My favorite place to get herbal remedies is Earthley Wellness. Most of their ingredients are organic, they 3rd party test for heavy metals like lead (sadly a big concern with concentrated supplements), and they are a small family company with no debt and no plans to sell.

The first product I tried was their Goodnight Magnesium Lotion when I was last pregnant and had terrible restless legs/cramps. It really works, and long story short, some forms of magnesium are best absorbed topically and this is formulated to be 100mg/teaspoon. I use it on my kids too, especially baby. My husband really likes this too, because if he’s sore anywhere, it usually clears that up too.

I also tried their Infant Tummy Relief tincture and it’s the first time we’ve used an entire bottle of something in less than 6 months (everyone uses it including baby).

People rave about their Feel Better Fast tincture and some of their detox stuff so that’s next on my list to try.

My 2nd recommendation is a company called Femmenessence. My friend worked in a health food store and met with reps all the time, and she shared this one with me. It’s a maca supplement, which doesn’t contain hormones, but works with your Hypopituitary Axis to balance your hormones during menopause or if you’re struggling with fertility. It can decrease milk supply if you’re BF, so I haven’t tried this one yet. They have a doctor or two on staff that you can call and they will advise you if it will work for you, etc.

Weston Price Foundation

The Weston A. Price Foundation is a nonprofit, tax-exempt charity founded in 1999 to disseminate the research of nutrition pioneer Dr. Weston Price, whose studies of isolated nonindustrialized peoples established the parameters of human health and determined the optimum characteristics of human diets. Dr. Price’s research demonstrated that humans achieve perfect physical form and perfect health generation after generation only when they consume nutrient-dense whole foods and the vital fat-soluble activators found exclusively in animal fats.

The Foundation is dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to the human diet through education, research and activism. It supports a number of movements that contribute to this objective including accurate nutrition instruction, organic and biodynamic farming, pasture-feeding of livestock, community-supported farms, honest and informative labeling, prepared parenting and nurturing therapies. Specific goals include establishment of universal access to clean, certified raw milk and a ban on the use of soy formula for infants.

The Foundation seeks to conduct research to test the nutrient content of foods, particularly butter produced under various conditions and the “X” Factor, discovered by Dr. Price; and to determine the effects of traditional preparation methods on nutrient content and availability in whole foods.

*Factor X is something that young animals fed on fresh, new grass in the spring produce. It is virtually absent in the Standard American Diet

Weston Price Foundation

*Factor X is something that young animals fed on fresh, new grass in the spring produce. It is virtually absent in the Standard American Diet
Spring dairy is amazing! It has a deep yellow color and is super rich. The farm we buy from sends reminders around that time a year for people to stock up on this very nutritious produce, so we buy several gallons of milk and freeze them.

Spring dairy is amazing! It has a deep yellow color and is super rich. The farm we buy from sends reminders around that time a year for people to stock up on this very nutritious produce, so we buy several gallons of milk and freeze them.
That’s awesome! Is unpasteurized dairy the norm where you live? I’m in the states, in an area where we don’t really have a winter, so we have access to grass fed, raw milk year round, but it does cost a pretty penny. They have to market it as “for pet consumption only” though. During my most recent pregnancy and post partum stage, I craved real butter on Chicago rolls like crazy!

That’s awesome! Is unpasteurized dairy the norm where you live? I’m in the states, in an area where we don’t really have a winter, so we have access to grass fed, raw milk year round, but it does cost a pretty penny. They have to market it as “for pet consumption only” though. During my most recent pregnancy and post partum stage, I craved real butter on Chicago rolls like crazy!
I wouldn't say it's the norm, but there are a lot of Mennonite and Amish farms close by that deliver to specific locations around the city. You are absolutely right about the hefty price of raw dairy, and yes, they do have to market it as "pet food". Our farm has this deal where you can get a discount if you buy 10 gallons at a time, so we go in together with other families. What are Chicago rolls? They sound delicious! I will look it up 😬

My favorite place to get herbal remedies is Earthley Wellness. Most of their ingredients are organic, they 3rd party test for heavy metals like lead (sadly a big concern with concentrated supplements), and they are a small family company with no debt and no plans to sell.

The first product I tried was their Goodnight Magnesium Lotion when I was last pregnant and had terrible restless legs/cramps. It really works, and long story short, some forms of magnesium are best absorbed topically and this is formulated to be 100mg/teaspoon. I use it on my kids too, especially baby. My husband really likes this too, because if he’s sore anywhere, it usually clears that up too.

I also tried their Infant Tummy Relief tincture and it’s the first time we’ve used an entire bottle of something in less than 6 months (everyone uses it including baby).

People rave about their Feel Better Fast tincture and some of their detox stuff so that’s next on my list to try.

My 2nd recommendation is a company called Femmenessence. My friend worked in a health food store and met with reps all the time, and she shared this one with me. It’s a maca supplement, which doesn’t contain hormones, but works with your Hypopituitary Axis to balance your hormones during menopause or if you’re struggling with fertility. It can decrease milk supply if you’re BF, so I haven’t tried this one yet. They have a doctor or two on staff that you can call and they will advise you if it will work for you, etc.
Thank you for the recommendations! I normally get herbal remedies from either Gaia or Herb Farm, but I like the idea of supporting a small family business like Earthley Wellness.

After my last pregnancy, I started having irregular periods and took my concerns to the gynecologist who dismissed them by saying "it happens sometimes". A couple years ago, I went to a naturopath and she put put me on this protocol that I followed for a few months but then stopped. It wasn't until last May when I finally got my PC doctor to do a complete hormonal panel and found out that my hormones are effectively out of balance, so I'm just now taking this matter more seriously and trying the protocol again which consists of the following: Chaste berry extract, natural yam progesterone cream, fish oil, vitamin D (I use the Sperti Vitamin D lamp), and Xiao Yao San (Chinese remedy). I've also been thinking about taking Maca, but I need to ask the naturopath if it wouldn't interact with the chaste berry extract.

Always have some “D-mannose” powder on hand for UTIs. D-mannose is the sugar in cranberry juice that E. coli bacteria love. Our bodies can’t break that sugar down so it gets passed through the kidneys and directly to the bladder. So the bacteria latches onto the d-mannose sugar (instead of the bladder wall) and gets flushed out. I’ve used this myself and for my daughter during potty training. About 90% of UTIs are caused by an E. coli infection and this is an extremely effective and very safe cure/remedy.

Back