What’s your favorite cheese?

TheLearningWife

Orthodox
Heritage
Woman
I’m on a havarti kick right now. To me, it’s the quintessential cheese and can replace American for anything. Or sliced with some Yellowbird hot sauce on a cracker.

My other favorite is Roquefort. It tastes like an old leather pouch in the best way. I use it in this recipe and it plays well with the cranberries and bacon.

Greek feta, at least the mass produced ones, is a no. It reminds me of working in a nursing home. Bulgarian feta is very different and creamy, goes well with pita and fresh herbs.

Take a quality bread and toast both sides in a pan with butter. Spread goat cheese and drizzle with honey. Best breakfast for kids on a busy day because they will be full for a while.

What about you?

Roquefort easily, it's just very expensive here. When I was in Europe I also loved blue d'auvergne Blue cheeses in general are just heavenly.

Gouda is the go to cheese for sandwiches and for melting for me. Gorgonzola and mozzarella for pizzas! Feta delicious in salads. Cheese in general is just yummy as long as it's not processed.

I always keep cheddar or colby in stock. However, I have been getting baby swiss pretty often recently. I like lots of others though. Havarti is excellent. Gouda as well, both regular and smoked. I like Brie, and I like Goat cheese. There's blue cheese, feta, jarlsburg, pepper jack. I like to get a hunk of parmesan and grate it myself.

However, to come back to a favorite, while I'd like to claim one of the less common flavors, I think it is cheddar.

There is an Italian cheese shop less than 10 kilometres from where I live. They bring imported cheeses from all over Europe. I like to try all the different cheeses and mostly go for unpasteurised hard cheeses from Europe (Italy, Switzerland, Spain, France, etc). But the imported proper cheese is crazy expensive here. It’s the equivalent (if you convert it to Euros) of €25 to €75 per kilo depending on the specific cheese.

1. French Brie and Brie with truffles (or Camembert), 2. spanish manchego, 3. portuguese Serra da Estrela.

This guy is a cheese expert:

Luisier Affineur

He sometimes compares industrial cheese with traditional made cheese. His conclusion. Better to eat one good cheese every 10 days. Than to eat de la merde everyday.

His favorite cheese is raclette.

Last edited:
Roquefort easily, it's just very expensive here. When I was in Europe I also loved blue d'auvergne Blue cheeses in general are just heavenly.

Gouda is the go to cheese for sandwiches and for melting for me. Gorgonzola and mozzarella for pizzas! Feta delicious in salads. Cheese in general is just yummy as long as it's not processed.
Have you ever tried smoked Gouda? This one was really good (US based):
IMG_5825.webp

I like cottage cheese. It seems like a different type of product than other cheeses, but I think it still qualifies. When was in the Netherlands, they didn't have it at all, but then they really didn't have anything but Gouda there.

I like cottage cheese. It seems like a different type of product than other cheeses, but I think it still qualifies. When was in the Netherlands, they didn't have it at all, but then they really didn't have anything but Gouda there.
If you like cottage cheese, you might like farmer’s cheese too. There’s a simple Russian recipe called syrniki, basically like small, dense pancakes that uses this. They are very good with sour cream and some fruit.

• 1 lb farmer’s cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour and some extra on side
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
I eyeball it, but this is good to start. Mix everything together, make small balls with the mixture and make sure to firmly cup them in your hands so they don’t fall apart in the pan. Turn them over in a dish with leftover flour so both sides are coated. Add to hot pan, cook low and slow until each side is golden brown.

IMG_5857.webp

A Eurofood store may have a better brand than you can get from a big box store, like from Latvia.

@TheLearningWife I have to be honest... after you posted this thread, I've probably watched 3+ hours on how to make homemade cheese... some are simple to make at home, and others require.... much more.

Also, Happy Mother's Day to you <3

Back