What did Luther mean by this?

The blasphemous title of this thread is annoying. Could it be renamed “What did Luther mean by…”? Then we could dispel other oft-miscited and/or apocryphal Luther quotes here, too (and not have to see the blasphemy when we frequent this sub forum).

"I meditated day and night until, by the mercy of God, I gave heed to the logical sequence of the words, namely: “In it the righteousness of God is revealed, as it is written, ‘He who is righteous lives by faith.’” I then began to understand that the righteousness of God is that by which he who is righteous lives by a gift of God, namely by faith. And this is the meaning: the righteousness of God is revealed by the gospel, that is to say, the passive righteousness by which the merciful God justifies us by faith. As it is written: “He who is righteous lives by faith.” Here I felt that I had been utterly born again, and had entered paradise itself through open gates. Immediately, the whole of Scripture took on a different form to me. I then ran through the Scriptures from memory, and also found analogous meanings in other terms, such as “the work of God,” that is, what God works in us; “the power of God,” by which He makes us powerful; “the wisdom of God,” by which He makes us wise; “the strength of God”; “the salvation of God”; “the glory of God.”"

"From all of this we learn that it is not enough to preach if one speaks about Christ’s life and work fleetingly and only as a history and historical chronicle, let alone if one is silent on these entirely, and only preaches on canon law or other human law and doctrine. There are also many who preach and lecture about Christ in order to evoke sympathy with Him, to rage against the Jews, or thereby to act in some other even more childish manner. However, He should and must be preached such that faith grows and is preserved in you and me."

"The white devil of spiritual sin is far more dangerous than the black devil of carnal sin because the wiser, the better men are without Christ, the more they are likely to ignore and oppose the Gospel."

The devil masquerades as an angel of light. The true Gospel led to the death and persecution of everyone who preached it.

Back