• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

What are you currently reading in the Bible / Word of God?

virtue

Other Christian
What book(s) or chapters or topics in the Word of God are you currently focused on?

For me:

1. Proverbs. Verse by verse the wisdom there is a Godsend to hone you into a wise man.

2. Corinthians chapter 7 (on being married and unmarried.)

3. Old Testament start to finish, which I have put off for long.

Deuteronomy in the KJV.

William Tyndale wrote that Deuteronomy is ‘a book worthy to be read in day and night and never to be out of hands. For it is the most excellent of all the books of Moses. It is easy also and light and a very pure gospel that is, to wete [wit], a preaching of faith and love: deducing the love to God out of faith, and the love of a man’s neighbour out of the love of God’.

I just read Matthew 7. This has a bunch of the most well known passages in the bible. I think even most non-Christians raised in the Western tradition are familiar with most of these.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged, for by the judgement you pronounce, you will be judged"

"Do not cast your pearls before swine"

"Ask, and it shall be given. Seek, and ye shall find. Knock, and the door shall be opened."

"Whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them"

"Wide is the gate that leads to destruction, and narrow is the gate that leads to life."

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits"

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’"

"Build your house on the rock, not on the sand". Words to live by!

1. Book of Job - now one of my favorites. It really explains the nature of suffering, and why God's plans don't always make sense to us.

2. The Psalter - Psalm 72 (73) really speaks to me. I chant it as part of my prayers when I start to envy those with worldly success. It reminds us to trust in God fully that his kingdom alone can fulfill us.

3. Wisdom of Solomon 2 - this is perhaps the clearest prophecy of Christ in the entire Old Testament. No wonder the Jews removed this whole book from the Masoretic text.

1. Book of Job - now one of my favorites. It really explains the nature of suffering, and why God's plans don't always make sense to us.
It's funny. The Book of Job has earned a reputation even in the secular world for being the Bible's answer for why suffering exists. However, when they read it they find it dissatisfactory, even going so far as to say God is the villain of the book. This is because Job requires faith in God's Sovereignty over all things, His power to control time, and how infinitely limited Man is in comparison to His Creator.

It's funny. The Book of Job has earned a reputation even in the secular world for being the Bible's answer for why suffering exists. However, when they read it they find it dissatisfactory, even going so far as to say God is the villain of the book. This is because Job requires faith in God's Sovereignty over all things, His power to control time, and how infinitely limited Man is in comparison to His Creator.
"patience of Job" is an expression here. I've seen it used by secular people as well.

Job is a literary masterpiece. The essence of mankind's plight is distilled so eloquently in this book.

"Man born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble;
he comes like a flower and fades away,
he flees like a shadow and continues not."
-Job 14

Job is a literary masterpiece. The essence of mankind's plight is distilled so eloquently in this book.

"Man born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble;
he comes like a flower and fades away,
he flees like a shadow and continues not."
-Job 14
Absolutely, this world is fleeting. And Job sets an example for all of us to aspire to. After Satan takes everything from him, Job simply says, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (1:21)

I just read Matthew 7. This has a bunch of the most well known passages in the bible. I think even most non-Christians raised in the Western tradition are familiar with most of these.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged, for by the judgement you pronounce, you will be judged"

"Do not cast your pearls before swine"

"Ask, and it shall be given. Seek, and ye shall find. Knock, and the door shall be opened."

"Whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them"

"Wide is the gate that leads to destruction, and narrow is the gate that leads to life."

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits"

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’"

"Build your house on the rock, not on the sand". Words to live by!
I'm currently reading Matthew as a lighter read. I'm running across a lot of these well known passages as well.

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

It's often quoted here with replacing bread with anything. Sometimes in a humorous context. My pastor also talks about living a Christian life without incentives. By that he usually asks "would you read the Bible 2 hours a day, and pray daily for 1k dollars?" then saying something about doing it for free. I got carried away on the food example one time, however.

Currently reading Daniel. In chapter 2 Nebuchadnezzar is taken back by the majesty the LORD bestowed upon Daniel when He gave him the insight to interpret his dream so eloquently. I think God gives a degree of secret knowledge to every man who worships Him.

1000005784.jpg

Last edited:
Bible study is still in Jeremiah. Church is in Numbers. I am in 2 Chronicles.

Jeremiah is very apt for these times.

2 Chronicles is one of those books I avoided reading for years, because 1 Chronicles has so much genealogy, I figured there was little in it, but 2 Chronicles is just as strong a narrative as Kings and I enjoyed learning about the good Kings of Judah that no one talks about- Asa, Jehoshephat, Uzziah, Jotham, Josiah, and Hezekiah. They all did right in the sight of the LORD.

I'm near the end of reading the entire Ignatius Catholic New Testament Study Bible. I'm at Book of Revelation right now. I've been reading it for about a year, ensuring that I read all footnotes. I've learned an incredible amount about the Bible, and I cannot believe it took me until 36 to actually read the entire New Testament.

Back