Visiting a Monastery

Thefinalepic

Administrator
Orthodox Inquirer
Heritage
Heirloom
I have never been to an Orthodox (or Catholic) monastery, but there appears to be one in my city that is open to receiving pilgrims and the wider public and I feel that conversing with a monk would add massive value to the journey of becoming an Orthodox Christian. To talk to someone that has given up the world to be in Christ is something that seems so inaccessible in daily life, yet these people do exist!

Are there any practices that I should be aware of? What have been your past experiences of visiting a monastery? Any insight would be much appreciated.

I visited Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville last year. I emailed the contact provided on their website for inquiring visitors a few weeks before I went. They were very responsive and helpful, and very welcoming. I would say be upfront about where you are in your journey (e.g. inquirer, catechumen, baptized, etc.). I think they appreciate that type of frankness. Getting some details ahead of time can also help with figuring out what you can expect to do: can you attend meals, for instance. When can you speak with the monks. Also, if you are staying any appreciable length of time and let them know, you may have the opportunity to be given an "obedience" (a job) while you are there. At Jordanville, pilgrims can assist in the bookshop, candle making, bee keeping, etc.

Overall, be respectful, prayerful and try to experience it as a pilgrim and a believer, and not as a tourist.

In hindsight, I wish I had stayed longer and had found a way to speak and interact with more of the monks.

This was a lovely direct message from @TheLearningWife:
(Feel free to post this in the thread, as I don’t have the ability to reply there)

I highly recommend reading the book “Everyday Saints and Other Stories” by Archimandrite Tikhon. He is a BIshop in the Russian Orthodox Church now, but this book is about stories from when he was a novice monk during Soviet Union. It’s really funny/entertaining and inspired me to return to Orthodoxy.

Orthodox info has info on etiquette and basics of what to expect: http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/mona...y grounds should,should not go unless invited.

How to Greet a Monk or Nun

Clergy Etiquette

This is a chapter from a book called

A Guide to Orthodox Life: Some Beliefs, Customs, and Traditions of the Church” by David Cownie​

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/guidech2.pdf

Sorry for the crazy formatting!! I’m holding a squiggly baby while typing this 🙂. i don’t know why this seemingly common book by David Cownie is out of print and expensive now (like all good ortbodox books), but most of the book is on Orthodox Info site. In general, call ahead to make sure it’s ok to visit, especially if you want to stay overnight and wear long sleeves and pants w: closes toed shoes. May your trip be blessed!

Back