The Yard Care Thread

Thomas More

Protestant
Heirloom
I came looking to post about my lawn care victory this afternoon, and amazingly this men's forum lacks a lawn care thread. Not anymore!

I have a new yard to take care of, and this is my first summer season. I was out of town for a while, so I came home and found a bunch of three foot tall weeds infesting the edges of my yard. I figured I would pull them out, but when I went to grip the first one, it was too strong for me to pull. Plus, there are at least 1000 large stem weeds like this (or there were).

At first I thought about getting a weed whacker, but previous experience shows that the strings work poorly on this kind of thick weed. I've tried alternative blades on the weed whacker that weren't much better.

I happened to think of a hedge trimmer, and then I thought of a hedge trimmer on a pole, so I looked it up. Turns out a hedge trimmer on a pole is an incredible bush hogging machine! You can adjust the angle of the cutter, so it is parallel to the ground and you can sweep it back and forth.

It does an incredible job! Those thick weeds go down effortlessly, and you can trim super close to the ground. It is 10X better than any other method of clearing an area of big weeds.

This video illustrates what I'm talking about.

This one is good too.

If there's not a video game for clearing brush like this, there ought to be!

Last edited:
Good thread idea, @ThomasMore.

I used to a bush whacker like this:

1720309742375.png

But like you said, even the heavy duty cables break all the time.

I just bought something like this:

1720310205936.png

This one might do. It has a solid chopper blade. I haven't used one like this yet.

I do like electric tools, but the gas machines seem to have more gumption for lawn care.

I
Good thread idea, @ThomasMore.

I used to a bush whacker like this:

View attachment 9712

But like you said, even the heavy duty cables break all the time.

I just bought something like this:

View attachment 9713

This one might do. It has a solid chopper blade. I haven't used one like this yet.

I do like electric tools, but the gas machines seem to have more gumption for lawn care.
I have a walk behind string mower also.

It's a necessity when it comes to thick brush

You can do everything a lawn mower can do + thick grass.

There is a manual method called a 'scythe' :

They make it look easy..

I've tried it and there is some technique in it.

That is strenuous work. That girl seems to be very fit and healthy.

I think it takes a lot of practice to do that. Also, there isn't enough room to swing the scythe in some places. Lawn care is one area where I'm really happy to have modern technology.

Back