The Iran and Wider Middle East Thread

1 Billion a pop? Is this supposed to be a serious response to hundreds of missiles that cost 1% as much? :ROFLMAO:

A billion a battery which is 6 vehicles armed. But yeah they can't intercept hypersonic missiles so just throw a flock of cheap ballistic missiles to make the THAAD run out of ammunition and then just use 6 hypersonic missiles to take the whole battery out. Lol.

They still can't stop hypersonic missiles.

Not exactly.
Long range missile defense systems can intercept ballistic missiles flying at hypersonic velocities - the interceptor, de facto a ballistic missile itself, can engage an incoming hypersonic missile midflight based on its predictable ballistic trajectory, regardless of the speed difference. The challenge in this case isn't the speed itself, but a short window to detect, track and intercept the target before it enters its terminal phase - when the incoming missile descends maneuvering at hypersonic speed.
Once the terminal phase begins its practically impossible to intercept a proper hypersonic missile. Not because of speed itself; after all the interceptor is launched head on, and doesn't have to chase the incoming projectile - unless the incoming missile starts to maneuver. Once it happens there simply isn't enough time for the interceptor to correct its course and catch up.

Attachments

• GZybxcsWUAAKMgP.jpeg
    GZybxcsWUAAKMgP.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 21
  • GZyeqYUXgAApnpe.jpeg
    GZyeqYUXgAApnpe.jpeg
    752.7 KB · Views: 21
  • GZyL28HaUAA5zr9.jpeg
    GZyL28HaUAA5zr9.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 21
  • GZyn7I4WkAAWAc-.jpeg
    GZyn7I4WkAAWAc-.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 21
  • GZyLjNDWoAoWe9w.jpeg
    GZyLjNDWoAoWe9w.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 21
  • GZyPvAhW4AEFkIx.jpeg
    GZyPvAhW4AEFkIx.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 19
  • GZyXc_CWcAENLsR.jpeg
    GZyXc_CWcAENLsR.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

To be fair, that's most likely just the THAAD crew.
At the direction of the President, Secretary Austin authorized the deployment of a Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery and associated crew of U.S. military personnel to Israel to help bolster Israel's air defenses following Iran's unprecedented attacks against Israel on April 13 and again on October 1.

To be fair, that's most likely just the THAAD crew.

Certainly, but talk about putting a giant target on the back of these men, who are watching their country be invaded but are forced to fight to a completely different country.

Not exactly.
Long range missile defense systems can intercept ballistic missiles flying at hypersonic velocities - the interceptor, de facto a ballistic missile itself, can engage an incoming hypersonic missile midflight based on its predictable ballistic trajectory, regardless of the speed difference. The challenge in this case isn't the speed itself, but a short window to detect, track and intercept the target before it enters its terminal phase - when the incoming missile descends maneuvering at hypersonic speed.
Once the terminal phase begins its practically impossible to intercept a proper hypersonic missile. Not because of speed itself; after all the interceptor is launched head on, and doesn't have to chase the incoming projectile - unless the incoming missile starts to maneuver. Once it happens there simply isn't enough time for the interceptor to correct its course and catch up.
But...the new class of hypersonic missles no longer have a predictable ballistic trajectory. They dodge and weave. It's only to be expected that dodge and weave missiles would be developed to counter missile defence that can handle a predictable trajectory. The dodge and weave type missiles have no effective counter defense (for now).

But...the new class of hypersonic missles no longer have a predictable ballistic trajectory. They dodge and weave. It's only to be expected that dodge and weave missiles would be developed to counter missile defence that can handle a predictable trajectory. The dodge and weave type missiles have no effective counter defense (for now).
Indeed, I was thinking about that. On their final trajectory, they have a hyper-glide feature that allows them to evade the Sling, Arrow, or THAAD systems. I believe this was put into effect in their strike 2 weeks ago.

Indeed, I was thinking about that. On their final trajectory, they have a hyper-glide feature that allows them to evade the Sling, Arrow, or THAAD systems. I believe this was put into effect in their strike 2 weeks ago.

I was talking about defense against hypersonic ballistic missiles that Iran used.
You're talking about a hypersonic glide vehicle (HGV), which has a non-ballistic flight trajectory:
trajectories.jpg

But Iran haven't fielded such systems.
They claim to have a similar system called Fattah-2.
It's based on the Fattah-1 hypersonic ballistic missile used during their last attack, but instead of a maneuverable warhead, the booster rocket carries a cruise missile capable of maintaining hypersonic speeds. It's not a full fledged hypersonic glide vehicle, but it delivers similar results.
However there's no proof (yet) that this system is operational.
fattah 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back