Subtitling mp4 or mkv files (movies)

God's lonely asperger

Protestant
Heritage
I'm watching some movies with my father, except he no habla ingles. I torrent pretty much all movies, except it's pure luck whether or not they have proper subtitles for Portuguese.

Do you guys have any set up for this? I usually download .srt files off subscene.com, but they're almost all in Arabic. The 90s TV I use also doesn't support or recognize .srt files.

Seems like .srt files are not supported in the codecs. I spent quite a bit of time messing with ffmpeg, but it seems like it's too much of a hassle for an old garbage tele.

I still have HDMI ports, but I'm not a big fan of getting up every time I want to pause, and other amazing features.

With a laptop or pc plugged into the TV HDMI port, use a player like VLC or MPC-HC. Get English language SRT subs from one of the many sites and place in the movie folder. Rename the SRT file to the same name as the movie file, but with .srt on the end instead of .mkv or whatever.

One other way is to re-encode the files using subtitle burn-in, but that will be way more hassle.

Last edited:
I feel like my issue with the HDMI method is that I store my movies on a 1366 x 760 (or something along those lines) ThinkPad. The TV is 1080p, but I think I get by on 720p. Never killed anyone.
Using Arandr, I usually set the monitor to be a different screen on 1366, and open the file browser there. The biggest issue has just been getting the srt files, getting good looking torrents (less of an issue, but still) and the controls.

The HDMI cable I use is pretty good, I believe. Most fancy looking one I had. The issue really is just controls, but I sometimes get by with just a game controller and Steam's setup.

I'll probably just use the built in USB if I want to alone in Engrish. It also has a music player, which my father was fond of the music I had saved.

Back