Seven deadly sins and virtues (and the movie se7en).

Was researching this recently, and it’s definitely an interesting subject for Christians to discuss. Would help us learn how to turn our bad sides to good. Also as a cherry on top I watched the movie “Se7en” again (saw it a while ago), and it reminded me we are all guilty in some way, and that, as Aristotle says: “Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” We see a deadly sin on every street corner and we tolerate it. God says to rebuke sin.

Last edited:
Fail to see so. Nihilism is no values. That movie promotes rising above the seven deadly sins.
Ok....we can interpret differently.

My point is that Pitts character is altruistic and good. The film uses that to exploit his ego and good altruistic values and out her head in a box and the fact that she's pregnant (and a dead baby as the aftermath) as reason for him to justify ego turning into wrath.

Second and third level effects portray sin winning out against good.

I reject that and dislike the outcome of the film accordingly as something that portrays base desires and outcomes.

Ok....we can interpret differently.

My point is that Pitts character is altruistic and good. The film uses that to exploit his ego and good altruistic values and out her head in a box and the fact that she's pregnant (and a dead baby as the aftermath) as reason for him to justify ego turning into wrath.

Second and third level effects portray sin winning out against good.

I reject that and dislike the outcome of the film accordingly as something that portrays base desires and outcomes.
So because this movie has the villian “win” (he probably went straight to hell), it’s bad and nihilistic? I don’t agree.

So because this movie has the villian “win” (he probably went straight to hell), it’s bad and nihilistic? I don’t agree.
No. You're not grasping my point.

Because they use the main character as a pawn to prove the point that people cant transcend their individual sinful nature it is a nihilistic film.

Another ending might have him NOT shooting they guy...but the point of the film was to show that even good guys can't remove themselves from their sinful nature.

Said another way:

Life is too fatalistic and predetermined for you not to engage in your own damnation or salvation due to your own paramours. You will succumb to your own idiosyncratic failures and sins regardless of your own intentions to work on them and transcend your nature. It's a superficial and nihilistic take. It implies we are subject to fate and our emotions over our rational brain and self control capability and implies we are only our base case self assessment and not capable of transcending current states of ineptitude for a future more-perfected self.

Last edited:
No. You're not grasping my point.

Because they use the main character as a pawn to prove the point that people cant transcend their individual sinful nature it is a nihilistic film.

Another ending might have him NOT shooting they guy...but the point of the film was to show that even good guys can't remove themselves from their sinful nature.

Said another way:

Life is too fatalistic and predetermined for you not to engage in your own damnation or salvation due to your own paramours. You will succumb to your own idiosyncratic failures and sins regardless of your own intentions to work on them and transcend your nature. It's a superficial and nihilistic take. It implies we are subject to fate and our emotions over our rational brain and self control capability and implies we are only our base case self assessment and not capable of transcending current states of ineptitude for a future more-perfected self.
No, because Mills was not a good guy. He was a young inexperienced cop who used an excessive amount of profanity. (Did you notice how much profanity he used vs Morgan Freeman?)

Morgan Freeman was the “good” character.

Garbage horror film full of grotesque images. Pure filth and unbecoming of any Christian to watch. I've read the plot and it was more than enough to make me never want to watch it. Pretty sure this belongs in the culture section, this isn't a serious film worthy of theological discussion.

Garbage horror film full of grotesque images. Pure filth and unbecoming of any Christian to watch. I've read the plot and it was more than enough to make me never want to watch it. Pretty sure this belongs in the culture section, this isn't a serious film worthy of theological discussion.
Then move it there since I guess this is a botched thread.

Fail to see how a Christian can’t watch it though, granted you only read the novel.

Back