Recipes! Please share!

IconWriter

Orthodox
Heritage
Woman
We need to add a recipes thread to our forum. Recently I read that we should have a "signature dish" a special dish we fix that we are known for. My cousin could make the greatest mouth-watering yeast rolls, but she cooked without a recipe. Most great cooks that I've
come across don't even use recipes but just toss things together . My mom wasn't a cook as she used cans of soup and Jello for about everything. I am trying, unsuccessfully, to think of my special one to share, but maybe you all have some to share for our inspiration!

The meals I can cook without a recipe are the ones my mom taught me when I was living in Argentina, like: Malfatti, lasagna, milanesa (Italian breaded steak), Shepherd's pie, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, polenta with bolognese sauce, meatballs with mashed potatoes, Spanish fish and potato stew, lentil soup, homemade gnocchi, tiramisu, chimichurri sauce, spinach croquettes, and various other everyday meals.

Afte I moved to America, I learned to make more exotic foods (exotic to me!) like chicken tortilla soup, tacos, shrimp and grits, chicken noodle soup, chili, Chinese fried rice, clam chowder, Greek fish, Latin American beans. All of these are my go-to's.

Lately, I've been making some Mediterranean food because it's delicious and full of healthy spices. We have a grapevine in our backyard and I use the leaves to make dolmas. This moussaka recipe is mouthwatering.

I don't know which one is my signature dish, but I know my husband's favorites are Shepherd's pie, lasagna, milanesa, and tiramisu. My kids' favorite is chicken tortilla soup :)

Do you ladies meal plan? I started doing this a couple years ago and it's a game changer! I only plan my dinners because breakfast and lunch are almost always the same.

I make spicy Creole jambalaya in the winter because it's fatty and comforting. Make some cornbread fried in lard to go with it, and you will sleep so well.

Recipe:

Fry up a good amount of sausage in a saucepan. Don't break it up to much, as you want it to be sort of like meatballs. When the sausage is browned but before it is fully cooked, add diced celery, onion, and green bell peppers and sautee 2-3 minutes. Add crushed garlic, very briefly sautee.

Pour in chicken broth and diced tomato. Add bay leaves, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, cayenne, and your well-rinsed long-grain white rice. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. Add your shrimp and stir. Remove from heat, cover tightly, make the cornbread.

Bone apple teeth

This is how I make milanesa:

Salt the cubed steaks and dip in a mixture of egg, garlic, parsley, a pinch of oregano, salt, and pepper. Then, bread each steak in breadcrumbs (most breadcrumbs are full of garbage ingredients, so I buy mine from Organic bread of Heaven). Arrange the steaks on the tray of an air fry and spray with olive oil or avocado oil Air fry for about 15 min at 400°. You can also bake them. And if you wanna get fancy, after they're cooked, add some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese on top of each steak and broil until the cheese is melted.

These are traditionally deep fried, but it's very unhealthy so I don't ever cook them that way.

Sorry, I'm trying to quote "Do you ladies meal plan? I started doing this a couple years ago and it's a game changer! I only plan my dinners because breakfast and lunch are almost always the same."

Yes, I do. Every weekend I make one for the week, seeing what our plans are, checking what we have to use up, and make the grocery list. I don't like doing it, but am glad each day when I know what I'll be cooking and when to defrost something.

I've found that most recipes I've found online at the major "recipe/food" sites recently just aren't very good, even the ones with five star reviews... I'm an adept cook but it's getting to the point where I'm going to stop even bothering to look online for recipes anymore.

I've found that most recipes I've found online at the major "recipe/food" sites recently just aren't very good, even the ones with five star reviews... I'm an adept cook but it's getting to the point where I'm going to stop even bothering to look online for recipes anymore.
Word-of-mouth is best, I agree. For me, second-best are the recipe sites that allow comments.

Word-of-mouth is best, I agree. For me, second-best are the recipe sites that allow comments.
Yeah, I'm going to stick to my "tried and true" cookbooks and recipes that I get from friends and family. I wouldn't be surprised if a big chunk of ratings/reviews on some of the major recipe websites (and especially some of the smaller random ones) were a combination of bots and artificially inflated "likes." I mean, people would stop visiting a recipe website if all their recipes were getting mediocre to bad reviews... or even zero.

Hi everyone. I am Mexican, born and raised rural in Mexico. I am good with all kind of authentic, original Mexican recipes if some of you are interested. This being said, I would like to learn more Western, not as spicy but still flavorful recipes and dishes and as well improve in desserts/baking and sourdough bread, that are my weak spots. Any advice is welcome, specially in how to start digging in sourdough and kombucha. Thank you.

Hi everyone. I am Mexican, born and raised rural in Mexico. I am good with all kind of authentic, original Mexican recipes if some of you are interested. This being said, I would like to learn more Western, not as spicy but still flavorful recipes and dishes and as well improve in desserts/baking and sourdough bread, that are my weak spots. Any advice is welcome, specially in how to start digging in sourdough and kombucha. Thank you.
I would love to see any of your salsa recipes that you'd like to share. I have a few "authentic" Mexican cookbooks but none of their salsas taste like what is served locally, they're pretty close but not "it".

This is my favorite crispy skin chicken recipe. I use a cast iron skillet for it. At the end, even if the chicken temps as done but the skin isn't golden and crispy, leave in for five more minutes at a time:

Crispy Chicken Thighs

Crispy Chicken Thighs are started on the stove top and finished in the oven to make a deliciously simple but addicting chicken dish.

Course Main Course
Cuisine American
Keyword crispy chicken thighs

Cook Time 30minutes minutes
Total Time 30minutes minutes

Servings 1 thigh
Calories 155kcal
Author April Woods

Ingredients

• Chicken thighs bone-in with skin
  • Basic spice rub or salt and pepper
  • Rendered bacon grease or vegetable oil

Instructions

• Season chicken lightly with spice rub or salt and pepper.
  • Heat a layer of fat or oil in a large oven safe skillet on the stove top (preferably cast iron).
  • Place chicken skin side down in the hot skillet, for 10 - 15 minutes until chicken skin is beginning to brown and crisp. Shift chicken once or twice in the skillet to make sure it’s not sticking.
  • Transfer to a 425 degree oven and continue cooking chicken skin side down for an additional ten minutes.
  • Turn chicken over, and cook about 5 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F)
Recipe from https://www.mamalovesfood.com/crispy-chicken-thighs/

Back