Radio and radio stations

God's lonely asperger

Protestant
Heritage
I've recently found a few gems through radio stations where I live. And I'm not talking about the modern day national music or pop. Point is, I heard so much garbage on it for most of my life that I was surprised when I found great stuff. Narrators are pretty much a thing of the past, but they add more soul to it.

Most of my radio experience was radio news when I went to elementary school. Went to my home state a few weeks ago and was surprised the same ads from that time still play. Me and my father have memorized one ad letter by letter.

I thought radio was completely dead, but it seems it still has some steam today. Will it die as zoomers start getting cars and blasting mumble rap from Goyify? Will it still live?

I've also thought about radio jobs more than once, since people say I have a voice for narration or even a "gigachad voice" since I was ~13. They probably pay badly however.

There is a new radio station in Germany run by conservatives with online streaming but also actual transmission, although looks like just DAB+ probably not FM :
Actually the transmission is only available in Saarland (near the French border)
I've also thought about radio jobs more than once, since people say I have a voice for narration or even a "gigachad voice" since I was ~13.
You're lucky if you've got a 'radio voice'. To get a radio job you probably also need a certain personality, depending on what kind of show it is.

Did you learn anything about how one gets a foot in the door?

Asking for a friend - I know someone who has both the voice and the personality who is trying to make inroads.

Someone that I know that owns two radio stations find voice over talent through Fiverr. He goes to a local business, they want an ad made, and then he goes on Fiverr and gives them a script. The talent then turns around with a finished product in a day or two. It doesn't pay much but it's a way to get started.

Last edited:
If you're in to radio, there are a couple of interesting movies about the heyday of radio.

FM is a lighthearted film that depicts how influential radio DJs were back in the day. They would go set up a live broadcast in a music store and it would be a huge event. They could contact big stars and get them to come perform concerts (often tickets back then were $5 or $10). The film has some performances by Linda Ronstadt, Tom Petty, REO Speedwagon, and Jimmy Buffet (wow he was balding in 1978! I didn't care too much for his boomer beach songs we hear today, but I enjoyed hearing his rock stuff from before I was born!)

The plot is nothing special, other than a pleasant "stick-it-to-the-man" type rebellion against the corporate masters who are selling out for money. The actions of the DJs would probably get them shot by police today. Steely Dan wrote their song FM for this film.

Talk Radio is the true story of a Jewish Radio DJ who was murdered in Denver named Alan Berg. Like most Oliver Stone films, the acting and direction are excellent. It's not a very deep film. The guy playing Berg is very good and has a great radio voice, but I didn't end up having much sympathy for him, other than wishing he wasn't murdered. He had a good wife, who still loves him, but he gave her up for the party life and is basically a modern degenerate.

And of course if you never got to experience Art Bell like I did growing up, boy you really missed out.

I'll never forget some crazy lad calling in claiming to be flying above Area 51 and being chased by military jets.
And I think the first time I ever heard him was during the OJ trials where he had LA Detective Mark Fuhrman on and was basically the only person in media defending him and explaining that when he said "nigger" on a tape, it was for a thespian audition and it's ridiculous to consider Fuhrman a racist. Of course everyone else pretended it was a word he loved to say because he hated black people for the color of their skin and then we got the riots and acquittal.

Wild card line!!!

Back