Orthodox Publications

TCOCBR18

Orthodox
Heritage
Hello, I asked about this in a different thread several days ago there was some discussion of getting a magazine going with people from this forum. But anyway, the question is about Orthodox publications/periodicals? Or perhaps even Christian journals that are not necessarily expressly Orthodox but are at least Traditional in outlook. I've been aiming to improve my "media diet" by reading less secular things and more Christian content, and that first and foremost concerns the internet (since I and probably the vast majority of people spend more time on the internet unfortunately than with print reading) but also any print magazines, journals, etc.
Does anybody have anything to recommend?

Death to the World still publishes a physical journal, I believe.

The Orthodox arts journal run by Jonathan Pageau is worth looking into. They may be web-only at this point; I'm not sure.

First Things is not Orthodox, and it is generally ecumenist, and leans neocon, but if you are looking to find some physical journals, it's not bad and is generally "conservative" by mainstream standards.

The Orthodox Word (founded by Fr. Seraphim Rose) is still going strong.

You can also look at the Orthodox Word archive, which has all of the issues (#1-#105) edited by Rose himself.

Orthodox Ethos has announced on their website the intention to create a quarterly journal, but I have not seen any developments on that front.

For general culture and arts, The New Criterion is good. Definitely more of a neocon / normiecon vibe, but their content on arts and culture is interesting at least, and high quality by today's standards. Not explicitly religious although I think the editors are mainline Protestants.

Note strictly on topic, but it is to do with an Orthodox publication and posting this question here saves me from having to start a new thread just for something that only needs one good reply.

Regarding the Orthodox Study Bible, one main reason I want to buy it is to have a look at its explanatory notes for

1 corinthians 8: 2 - 13

1 corinthians 10: 14 - 33

If anyone here has the Study Bible, would they be kind enough to let me know if there are explanatory notes for the above?

I have the OSB app, and here are the notes for those verses:
8:4-13. Throughout the Roman Empire, animals were sacrificed to pagan “gods” at feasts and public occasions. Part of each offering was used in a ceremonial meal or went to the donor; the remainder was often sold in public meat markets. Christians had a dilemma. Should they eat meat that had been offered before idols? The Jews had prohibitions, but the Christians believed an idol is nothing. Paul answers they are correct in principle (v. 8), but they must think about other people's consciences (vv. 9, 10). Love of God and of fellow Christians compels Paul not to eat such meat (v. 13).​

10:16-17 The English word communion (Gr. koinonia) is the correct translation; the alternative, “fellowship,” is too weak. For at Communion, at the Eucharist, there is a real participation in the body and blood of Christ. Just as Christ's human body is united to Him, so we are united to Him. As many grains become one loaf, those who take this communion become one in Christ.​
10:18 Israel after the flesh is the Israel of Judaism as contrasted to the true Israel, which is the Church, the Israel of God (see Gal 6:16).​
10:19-22 All worship is sacramental, even false worship. To genuinely offer a sacrifice is to unite spiritually with the object of that offering. An idol (v. 19) by itself is nothing, but behind them lurk demons (v. 20) waiting for someone to partake of them. The Christian offering is the once-for-all sacrifice of Jesus Christ. We are not to engage in any worship contrary to or in competition with the Eucharist of Christ.​
10:23-24 Christians are obligated to obey only one law: the law of Christ, the law of love. This obligates us to what is helpful (v. 23) and edifying to the other's well-being (v. 24). We therefore continually seek the good of others in every way.​
10:25-33 Since God created everything, everything is clean (v. 26), even what was once used in idolatrous worship (vv. 25, 27). However, offending a fellow Christian in nonessential matters breaks the law of love, the bond of unity (vv. 28-30). If we say that it affects no one but ourselves, yet we must do what is to the glory of God (v. 31), or else we offend God. The salvation of all is more important than the rights of the individual (v. 33). A right is never inalienable if it alienates us from others. Note that Paul assumes Christians say a prayer at meals (v. 30).​

J
I have the OSB app, and here are the notes for those verses:
8:4-13. Throughout the Roman Empire, animals were sacrificed to pagan “gods” at feasts and public occasions. Part of each offering was used in a ceremonial meal or went to the donor; the remainder was often sold in public meat markets. Christians had a dilemma. Should they eat meat that had been offered before idols? The Jews had prohibitions, but the Christians believed an idol is nothing. Paul answers they are correct in principle (v. 8), but they must think about other people's consciences (vv. 9, 10). Love of God and of fellow Christians compels Paul not to eat such meat (v. 13).​

10:16-17 The English word communion (Gr. koinonia) is the correct translation; the alternative, “fellowship,” is too weak. For at Communion, at the Eucharist, there is a real participation in the body and blood of Christ. Just as Christ's human body is united to Him, so we are united to Him. As many grains become one loaf, those who take this communion become one in Christ.​
10:18 Israel after the flesh is the Israel of Judaism as contrasted to the true Israel, which is the Church, the Israel of God (see Gal 6:16).​
10:19-22 All worship is sacramental, even false worship. To genuinely offer a sacrifice is to unite spiritually with the object of that offering. An idol (v. 19) by itself is nothing, but behind them lurk demons (v. 20) waiting for someone to partake of them. The Christian offering is the once-for-all sacrifice of Jesus Christ. We are not to engage in any worship contrary to or in competition with the Eucharist of Christ.​
10:23-24 Christians are obligated to obey only one law: the law of Christ, the law of love. This obligates us to what is helpful (v. 23) and edifying to the other's well-being (v. 24). We therefore continually seek the good of others in every way.​
10:25-33 Since God created everything, everything is clean (v. 26), even what was once used in idolatrous worship (vv. 25, 27). However, offending a fellow Christian in nonessential matters breaks the law of love, the bond of unity (vv. 28-30). If we say that it affects no one but ourselves, yet we must do what is to the glory of God (v. 31), or else we offend God. The salvation of all is more important than the rights of the individual (v. 33). A right is never inalienable if it alienates us from others. Note that Paul assumes Christians say a prayer at meals (v. 30).​
Jeremiah, I can't tell you how grateful I am that you did that. Thanks a lot!

Back